S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

homelink programming issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homelink programming issue

so i have a rolling-code garage door opener, that i've successfully programmed to homelink in my last 3 cars. but in the S4 owner's manual, you can't simply use the programming button on the opener itself, you also need to do a step where you use the handheld remote as well. I have the remote, but it doesnt seem to be working (replaced the battery, no luck). it's been in the drawer for years, and i can't find the other one. So...does anyone have any clue on how to cheat the homelink programming? i really don't want to have to purchase another remote for my 12-year-old garage door opener.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

you sure? I was able to program mine (B8) using the 'learn' button on the opener unit itself.

With that being said, I hate Audi homelink + rolling code....they tend to just stop working after a few months, leaving you having to re-program. This has happened on my last 4 Audis. In the Rs4, I didn't even bother with homelink...I just velcroed my door opener remote onto the sidewall of the cubby in the driver's door. Out of sight, but it falls perfectly to my hand when I reach down. I think it looks ghetto having it on the sun visor.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorno
so i have a rolling-code garage door opener, that i've successfully programmed to homelink in my last 3 cars. but in the S4 owner's manual, you can't simply use the programming button on the opener itself, you also need to do a step where you use the handheld remote as well.

I did use the hand held remote when programming my A4 and A6.

I have the remote, but it doesnt seem to be working (replaced the battery, no luck). it's been in the drawer for years, and i can't find the other one. So...does anyone have any clue on how to cheat the homelink programming? i really don't want to have to purchase another remote for my 12-year-old garage door opener.
Don't know of any way to "beat the system". It's supposed to be more secure.

With a fresh battery in place, and the hand held in your hand, can you get up and look at the unit in the garage to see if the little light is flashing when you push the button on the remote?

You can find replacement remotes on fleaBay for short $$$. You can also find color-coordinated units if you desire to match your interior color. I've had white, grey and traditional black.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by doctorno
so i have a rolling-code garage door opener, that i've successfully programmed to homelink in my last 3 cars. but in the S4 owner's manual, you can't simply use the programming button on the opener itself, you also need to do a step where you use the handheld remote as well. I have the remote, but it doesnt seem to be working (replaced the battery, no luck). it's been in the drawer for years, and i can't find the other one. So...does anyone have any clue on how to cheat the homelink programming? i really don't want to have to purchase another remote for my 12-year-old garage door opener.
I used my remote and the learn button on the opener and 90% of the time homelink is able to open my garage door. There are days when I have to pull the spare remote out of my glove box =(

Maybe the 10% fallout is because of the rolling codes, but I always thought it was the 10yr old opener =)

My remote is fairly small and fits in the glove box door compartment. Perfect place for it actually...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TO407S4
I used my remote and the learn button on the opener and 90% of the time homelink is able to open my garage door. There are days when I have to pull the spare remote out of my glove box =(

Maybe the 10% fallout is because of the rolling codes, but I always thought it was the 10yr old opener =)

My remote is fairly small and fits in the glove box door compartment. Perfect place for it actually...
that sounds like my experience with my other Audis.

Try my method of keeping it in the driver's door cubby hole. Having it loose and rattling around is ghetto as ****, so just velcro it in there. Nobody will ever be able to see it, and it's held firmly in place.

I'll throw up a pic at some point.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have rolling codes, I've found that it helps to hold down the appropriate button for a second or two until the door opens.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
that sounds like my experience with my other Audis.

Try my method of keeping it in the driver's door cubby hole. Having it loose and rattling around is ghetto as ****, so just velcro it in there. Nobody will ever be able to see it, and it's held firmly in place.

I'll throw up a pic at some point.
I have to be somewhat fair to the homelink system. I've had this issue on my past two Acuras with my garage door. I'm used to carrying around my old remote because of it. On a side note... I purchased another remote several years after installing the opener and found nothing worked like the two original remotes.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TO407S4
I have to be somewhat fair to the homelink system. I've had this issue on my past two Acuras with my garage door. I'm used to carrying around my old remote because of it. On a side note... I purchased another remote several years after installing the opener and found nothing worked like the two original remotes.
FWIW, my 2002 Nissan Maxima had Homelink and I used it to open my garage door for 4+ years and never had any issues. I certainly didn't keep the remote in the car for backup. I would be disappointed if the S4 isn't as good.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 395 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Key learning:

Originally Posted by helix139

I've found that it helps to hold down the appropriate button for a second or two until the door opens.
+1.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by helix139
If you have rolling codes, I've found that it helps to hold down the appropriate button for a second or two until the door opens.
This works for me also. My opener is about a year old and has rolling codes IIRC. A quick press and release definitely fails sometimes.

Quick Reply: homelink programming issue