S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Horrible Experience with My New S4 - Blind Spot Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davesoly
........ He also mentions that the bumper may also be causing an interference, so he has also ordered a new bumper for the car.......
Bumper never seemed to change - so what's the technical logic for a new Bumper??? Seems like some hot air comment i.e. 'interference ...replacement', BUT they're the one's at the coalface. Just curious 'why'? Why will a Bumper change fix it?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
Bumper never seemed to change - so what's the technical logic for a new Bumper??? Seems like some hot air comment i.e. 'interference ...replacement', BUT they're the one's at the coalface. Just curious 'why'? Why will a Bumper change fix it?
It's a real stretch, but there is a small chance that an "older revision" part number could contain a material that could possibly cause an electro-magnetic interference. Again, it realistically probably has nothing to do with it.

I'm torn about how I want to deal with the whole bumper thing. On one hand, it will make them take a little longer, and at this point that just puts me closer to having the ball in my court as far as lemon law goes. It's already past the halfway point for permissible time for the car to be down. On the other hand, I really don't want a repainted bumper on my car for all the obvious reasons.

BTW... Audi of America called me today and also mentioned something about the dealer replacing the mirror now too. The customer service rep got a pretty good earful, and you can be sure the service department will hear from me tomorrow too.

I just want my car back.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The bumper is behind the fascia, probably made of metal. Are they replacing that component or the fascia (sometimes known as a bumper cover) which is the painted part.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a real stretch, but there is a small chance that an "older revision" part number could contain a material that could possibly cause an electro-magnetic interference. Again, it realistically probably has nothing to do with it. ............I just want my car back.
Changing Mirror suggest they don't know where the problem is so they are changing the entire system (excluding harness I guess). I thought the Mirror was just HMI i.e. SA LED display only, not sensor / electronics, so not sure the benefit of changing those unless the LED module is considered defect? Based on reading in past of 'other' owners w/SA issues - which didn't transpire as Mirror end electronics, I'm guessing Mirror has nothing to do with it, just my hunch.

Not of any direct help, like you say you just want your car, but FWIW some reading on SA - from Q5 vehicle, same system - per attached link.
http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_375.pdf

If I was to guess, [I like guessing you can see;-) ], I'd say the radar module might need to be 'recalibrated'?...see page 17 on above link doc.

Note: also have SA but have not had any problems. Hang in there......a lot of tech in this car and seems pop happens sometimes, but you'll enjoy when you get past this.

Last edited by S4Tokyo; 02-22-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear about your situation. In a way, it's comforting to know that someone else knows what it's like. If you have any trouble with the dealer, call the Audi Customer Advocate line. Their number is: (800) 822-2834
yeah...my service already told me to call 'em so I did today....we'll see what happens....the transmission hasn't left germany yet so i'm now assuming it won't be in my hands until 3/7/11...misery loves company!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by steveracer
The bumper is behind the fascia, probably made of metal. Are they replacing that component or the fascia (sometimes known as a bumper cover) which is the painted part.

They said it was going to have to get painted after it came in, so it has to be the fascia.

Originally Posted by S4Tokyo
Changing Mirror suggest they don't know where the problem is so they are changing the entire system (excluding harness I guess). I thought the Mirror was just HMI i.e. SA LED display only, not sensor / electronics, so not sure the benefit of changing those unless the LED module is considered defect? Based on reading in past of 'other' owners w/SA issues - which didn't transpire as Mirror end electronics, I'm guessing Mirror has nothing to do with it, just my hunch.
If I was to guess, [I like guessing you can see;-) ], I'd say the radar module might need to be 'recalibrated'?

I can guarantee you they don't know where the problem is. You have it 100% correct. They're obviously trying to change everything to make sure it can't happen again (they hope). I'm going to call tomorrow and tell them they can go ahead with the new bumper, but I don't want the mirror touched until they verify the bumper stuff didn't work.

I hope it hasn't already been done...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I mentioned picking up my fully loaded 2010 S4 on 01/01/11 in a previous post. I also noted that the car was having some problems, so here's the story:

On the last day of January, I had an AWE exhaust installed. On that very night, I noticed that the driver side blind spot indicator was lighting up as if a car was there when no car was present. I assumed the exhaust tips might have been interfering with the system since they stuck out a little further than stock. To make a long story short, I determined that it couldn't be the exhaust by test driving the car with the tips removed.

The next week, I took the car into the dealer where the service advisor told me it was a known issue and that a software update would fix it. They did the work, and hand me the car back the next day. When the car pulled up I noticed minor spots all over it and some dirt/grease on the two-tone white napa leather. I didn't make a big deal out of it, even though the car was 100% spotless when I took it in. I just wanted the problem fixed. I drove off, and when I turned the system on, it immediately started acting up again.

At that point, I became pretty upset. Not only did they not fix the problem, but they dirtied up the car and moved every possible driver adjustment (memory seats don't control the steering wheel position). I had the car for only a month and things were not going smoothly already. I took the car back and they put me in a stripped out A4 that needed to be washed badly.

From that point, the dealer has spent the past two weeks ordering new modules and getting the wrong one over and over again. From what I can count, it has happened at least 4 or 5 times thus far.

So after several requests over the past couple of weeks, the service manager finally calls me back today. He tells me that they still have one bad module on hand and has yet another one on order. He also mentions that the bumper may also be causing an interference, so he has also ordered a new bumper for the car.

At this point I'm fuming. I've barely had possession of the car for a month, and now they're telling me that they're giving me the equivalent of a wrecked car? The paint and alignment of the bumper will never be as good as it was from the factory. I can't believe that my car's going to be gone for another week, at least. If I wanted to drive a stripped A4, I would have bought that and put the other $25K in the bank.

If the car comes back in acceptable condition, I'm going to ask that they take at least $1000 off what little is left on the loan. I'm also preparing to get into a lemon law return situation if I have to.

This is not okay right now...
This is probably more of dealer complacency or poor service (especially dirtying up your car) rather than lemon law. Lemon law necessitaes many problems with the car and from what i hear, pre-owns can be looked at in a different manner thna a car that just came off the truck

If you havent done so already, I would call AoA immediately and would also try to find another dealer if its not too far away. Dealers love customers coming from another dealer due to poor service as its their chance to establish superiority.

BTW, I also had a pre owned 2009 A4 and there were 4 issues. But 1 issue was justified in not keeping the car (wont go into detail) and the dealer gladly took it back after 4 weeks of ownership (and 720 miles) and gave me every cent back, including state tag fees and title fees and tax ofcourses. Then he made me a deal on a 2011 S4 that i could not refuse. Sometimes its a matter of a crappy dealer, of which there are many.

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 02-23-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
This is probably more of dealer complacency or poor service (especially dirtying up your car) rather than lemon law. Lemon law necessitaes many problems with the car and from what i hear, pre-owns can be looked at in a different manner thna a car that just came off the truck

If you havent done so already, I would call AoA immediately and would also try to find another dealer if its not too far away. Dealers love customers coming from another dealer due to poor service as its their chance to establish superiority.
I've already looked into the lemon law, and my car is clearly approaching eligibility. The car is qualified as a new car by definition of the law because it's a dealer demo. The law also covers other types of "used" cars, such as CPO in a similar way.

For covered vehicles, one of the ways to be eligible is really simple: If the car is down for service for a total of 30 days (cumulative across any number of issues) during the warranty period, it is automatically eligible. My car's going to be pushing 3 weeks, by the time I get it back if everything goes smoothly from here. That means it only has to go back for a few days here and there over the next few years for them to have to give all the money back.

As mentioned in a previous post, I contacted Audi of America a week ago. They've been in the loop and they know I'm not happy. For the record, however, they are useless. My service advisor has been in Germany for training, but should be back in tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be looking forward to hearing from me when he finds out my car is still there...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've already looked into the lemon law, and my car is clearly approaching eligibility. The car is qualified as a new car by definition of the law because it's a dealer demo. The law also covers other types of "used" cars, such as CPO in a similar way.

For covered vehicles, one of the ways to be eligible is really simple: If the car is down for service for a total of 30 days (cumulative across any number of issues) during the warranty period, it is automatically eligible. My car's going to be pushing 3 weeks, by the time I get it back if everything goes smoothly from here. That means it only has to go back for a few days here and there over the next few years for them to have to give all the money back.

As mentioned in a previous post, I contacted Audi of America a week ago. They've been in the loop and they know I'm not happy. For the record, however, they are useless. My service advisor has been in Germany for training, but should be back in tomorrow. I'm sure he'll be looking forward to hearing from me when he finds out my car is still there...
lemon laws are state driven so there is no universal standard. Some state statutes are a bit ambiguous and necessitate an attorney if an owner will accept nothing less than a complete buy back. Other states are more clear. I live in fl and here is part of the FL lemon law staute

"After three attempts have been made to repair the same nonconformity, the consumer shall give written notification, by registered or express mail to the manufacturer, of the need to repair the nonconformity to allow the manufacturer a final attempt to cure the nonconformity. The manufacturer shall have 10days, commencing upon receipt of such notification, to respond and give the consumer the opportunity to have the motor vehicle repaired at a reasonably accessible repair facility within a reasonable time after the consumer's receipt of the response"

The above implies 4 attempts to the same problem at being repaired. So let us say that a Florida dealership finally got it right on the 3rd try. Then lets say anentirley different component failed and once again, it took them 3 tries. Then a month later, you had a 3rd component failure and this time it took them 2 tries. Also note the key words "REASONABLE TIME" which I could not find defined elsewher in the staue. That wher teh ambiguity comes into play. So in the baove scenario, You may go through hell but it might be difficult in FL in cashing it in as a lemon.

Also, you cant always just tell a manufacturer that your car now qualifies as a lemon according to state statute and make a the manufacturer give back all your money. In some cases they may not play ball and you will need to file in court. I dont believe AoA IS Such a manufacturer. They tend to work with owners. If it truly qualifies as a lemon after you have "legally" done your part, then AoA will most likley buy it back

You can be certain that the dealerships know when they are approaching lemon law status in their state. They are not oblivious to it and I suspect that in all states, a required certified letter to them in writing will still be required from you

I still think your best bet is to continue through AoA from here on out and leave the dealership out of it. I would also request escalating it to higher level of AoA management

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 02-24-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in California where, among other ways to qualify, you are automatically eligible if "...The vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle."

AoA will be made well aware of the fact that I understand the law and the fact that the statement above applies to the entire duration of the warranty they gave me with the car.....which was 6 years and 100K miles. My car will have been there for at least 3 weeks if the part was to show up tomorrow and everything else was to go smoothly. The part is nowhere to be found, and I still have plenty of warranty left. Do you really think they are going to fight me?

I'm not worried about dealing with legal issues. If i want the car to go back as a lemon, it's a done deal. I have years to nit pick the car to rack up another few days of "out of service" time. With that said, I'm a reasonable person. If they finish up next week and compensate me accordingly, they have a much better chance of not having to deal with a lemon law return.

Quick Reply: Horrible Experience with My New S4 - Blind Spot Indicator