S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Horrible Experience with My New S4 - Blind Spot Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, I just saw that you are from SD. Which dealership are you working with? Hoehn or Miramar?

I am sorry to hear about your problems and I would definitely look into lemon laws. I would also be happy that they aren't trying to blame the exhaust or the installer of the exhaust. I hope you get everything fixed.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by k1speederS4
Dave, I just saw that you are from SD. Which dealership are you working with? Hoehn or Miramar?

I am sorry to hear about your problems and I would definitely look into lemon laws. I would also be happy that they aren't trying to blame the exhaust or the installer of the exhaust. I hope you get everything fixed.
I took the car to Miramar Audi expecting them to blame the exhaust, but explained the research and testing that I did before bringing it in. I completely removed the exhaust tips and drove it around to make sure there was no possible chance of the exhaust causing an interference.

I saw the car today, and apparently the system is fixed. They did have to replace the bumper with the modules. Sadly, the paint isn't an EXACT match, but it's really close and hardly noticeable. I can live with the minor color difference since they are going out of their way to fix other minor flaws that existed on the car when I bought it.

However, I only say that with the assumption that AoA will take a couple payments off my loan. If they refuse to do so, I fully intend to spend the next few years nit picking the car until I hit the 30 days of down time required to return the car as a lemon. Lets hope it doesn't have to go that far.

Nothing against Miramar Audi. They've done the best they could. It's just an unfortunate situation where I JUST got the car, and they have had it almost as long as I have. Because of that, I expect to be reimbursed for the trouble...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gotcha. Well I am glad that you are getting the car back and I am sure the dealership or AoA will work with you on finances to make sure that everything is fair. When do you pick her back up?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by k1speederS4
Gotcha. Well I am glad that you are getting the car back and I am sure the dealership or AoA will work with you on finances to make sure that everything is fair. When do you pick her back up?
Should be sometime during the first half of the week. They will be sending it back to the body shop to see if there is anything else they can do to make the car perfect, then it will go off to another place for a full detail, inside and out. After that, it should be back in my hands.

I'm already itching to finish off the last couple mods so I can relax and enjoy the car for the next several years.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

just an fyi - you should probably re-read the cali lemon law. unless i'm mistaken, the "30-days out of service" issue is related to establishing the presumption that you've had a reasonable number of repair attempts...within the first 18 months/18,000 miles (whichever occurs first)
Old 02-26-2011, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davesoly
I took the car to Miramar Audi expecting them to blame the exhaust, but explained the research and testing that I did before bringing it in. I completely removed the exhaust tips and drove it around to make sure there was no possible chance of the exhaust causing an interference.

I saw the car today, and apparently the system is fixed. They did have to replace the bumper with the modules. Sadly, the paint isn't an EXACT match, but it's really close and hardly noticeable. I can live with the minor color difference since they are going out of their way to fix other minor flaws that existed on the car when I bought it.

However, I only say that with the assumption that AoA will take a couple payments off my loan. If they refuse to do so, I fully intend to spend the next few years nit picking the car until I hit the 30 days of down time required to return the car as a lemon. Lets hope it doesn't have to go that far.

Nothing against Miramar Audi. They've done the best they could. It's just an unfortunate situation where I JUST got the car, and they have had it almost as long as I have. Because of that, I expect to be reimbursed for the trouble...
I am from SD and go to Miramar for service .
Ask them who paint the bumper because they usually use the service of Amatos body shop in sorrento valley .
Amatos are certified Audi ,Porsche Bmw ,Maserati ....collision and body repair .
You should not see any difference in color ,not acceptable on a new car .
Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by fauxtek
just an fyi - you should probably re-read the cali lemon law. unless i'm mistaken, the "30-days out of service" issue is related to establishing the presumption that you've had a reasonable number of repair attempts...within the first 18 months/18,000 miles (whichever occurs first)
Here's a link to information on the California Lemon Law:

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

In the 18 months, the car is automatically eligible if it has been out for service for a total of 30 days for any number of issues. Again, my car will have already been out for over 20 days, and I haven't even owned it for two months. Worst case, I still have 16 months to take the car back in for "any number of issues" to hit 30 days. This isn't my intent, because I love the car, but I do expect Audi to reimburse me for the trouble.

Originally Posted by patinsd
I am from SD and go to Miramar for service .
Ask them who paint the bumper because they usually use the service of Amatos body shop in sorrento valley .
Amatos are certified Audi ,Porsche Bmw ,Maserati ....collision and body repair .
You should not see any difference in color ,not acceptable on a new car .
The bumper did go to Amatos, and my entire car is going back there next week. Like I said, the color is very close but it's still not an exact match. No matter how good a shop is, the paint will never be a perfect match, especially if they didn't have the rest of the car there when they originally painted the bumper. Anyway, don't get me wrong. It looks like they did a good job, but I'd prefer to have had the problem fixed without having to get a new bumper.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by davesoly
Here's a link to information on the California Lemon Law:

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

In the 18 months, the car is automatically eligible if it has been out for service for a total of 30 days for any number of issues. Again, my car will have already been out for over 20 days, and I haven't even owned it for two months. Worst case, I still have 16 months to take the car back in for "any number of issues" to hit 30 days. This isn't my intent, because I love the car, but I do expect Audi to reimburse me for the trouble.

The bumper did go to Amatos, and my entire car is going back there next week. Like I said, the color is very close but it's still not an exact match. No matter how good a shop is, the paint will never be a perfect match, especially if they didn't have the rest of the car there when they originally painted the bumper. Anyway, don't get me wrong. It looks like they did a good job, but I'd prefer to have had the problem fixed without having to get a new bumper.
I am with you on "I'd prefer to have had the problem fixed without having to get a new bumper"
I hope when Amatos get the car next week ,they will correct the paint and match it with the rest of the car .
Good luck .
Let us know .
Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm interested to see if you actually got your side assist fixed. I've given up on using mine. The drivers side will report the guard rails on two lane bridges as a car, sometimes doesn't show a car is there, sometimes claims there is a car there, etc.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ranch
I'm interested to see if you actually got your side assist fixed. I've given up on using mine. The drivers side will report the guard rails on two lane bridges as a car, sometimes doesn't show a car is there, sometimes claims there is a car there, etc.
Mine seemed to behave in a similar manner to yours. There is supposed to be a software update that takes care of it, but that obviously doesn't always work...

We're quickly approaching 30 days and my car still isn't back. So far, they have tried a few different modules and have completely replaced the bumper. The story is that they keep getting the wrong part, so they finally asked for "the right one" to be shipped directly from Germany. It was supposed to be in last Friday but the latest info is that it should be here by this Thursday. With a day at the body shop, and another day at the detail shop, it's all but guaranteed to hit the 30 day mark and qualify as a lemon.

I elevated the issue with AoA and will be talking to them tomorrow about options moving forward. We'll see what falls out of that conversation.

Foot Note 1) I test drove an S5 to see if it was worth switching over. Result: Not in this lifetime. It's not even close in performance or practicality.

Foot Note 2) The vehicle porter that delivered my car had been moved up to sales and happened to accompany me on the test drive in the S5. When I commented on the car's lack of performance, I asked him if he had ever driven an S4. He responded, "Yeah, I drove yours and I actually drove it pretty hard." Really guy? Is that not the stupidest thing you could say to the guy that bought the car and was having problems with it?.....That's now on record with AoA too...

Quick Reply: Horrible Experience with My New S4 - Blind Spot Indicator