S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Houston we have brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Houston we have brake squeal

5800 miles on my S4 and I'm getting a pretty healthy dose of brake squeal now that temps have dropped to around freezing. Oddly enough, I didn't have brake squeal but a couple of times when I drove the car last Winter (picked up in mid-Jan) so I really wasn't expecting MORE this time.

I know the deal about bedding or changing pads - mostly just bitching on my end. I brake differently now when I'm driving in town to help avoid the squeal, which is pretty damn loud.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've driven the car in sub zero (F) temps and would get a bit of squeal until the brakes would get warmed up. If it's really that bad then you might want to take it in. I've heard stories of a grain of sand or dirt (or, possibly, in your case even a bit of rust flaked off a rotor since you don't drive the car much) getting in between the pad and rotor and causing some noise.

I would say it is not a surprise to get a little noise when the temps dip to around freezing but if you are having to change your braking style then it might be something more.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Once the temp dropped below 50 my squeal came back as well. 30K on the car and the brakes are still at 80%. Unfortunately I think its something we have to live with unless you want to put some aftermarket pads on
Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

It does seem to fade as the car warms up, but yes, if it keeps it up I'll take the car in to Audi.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine started this year as soon as daytime highs got down to the 60s. Even worse than last year. Audi still doesn't have a fix for this: while there are some rumors that the 2012 pad material is different, the TSB dealer fix is to chamfer the edges of the pads and reinstall. That helps for about a week, then the squeal is back in full force. My car is in the shop today getting a set of Hawk HPS pads at all four corners, which will hopefully fix this issue for good. Ridiculous that I have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix Audi's problems, but it is what it is.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Mine started this year as soon as daytime highs got down to the 60s. Even worse than last year. Audi still doesn't have a fix for this: while there are some rumors that the 2012 pad material is different, the TSB dealer fix is to chamfer the edges of the pads and reinstall. That helps for about a week, then the squeal is back in full force. My car is in the shop today getting a set of Hawk HPS pads at all four corners, which will hopefully fix this issue for good. Ridiculous that I have to spend hundreds of dollars to fix Audi's problems, but it is what it is.
That does stink. I had Hawk HPS on my B5 S4, good pad, but they also squealed after some time. That was quite a long time ago now, so maybe they have changed their composition.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2012 and will you guys posted on brake squeal..none so far tho at 2200+ miles. the thought of having squeal makes me cringe...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dreaddontdie
... the thought of having squeal makes me cringe...
well if the thought makes you cringe, wait until you hear the squeal! (and I hope you never do)

There's a contingent on here that believes that if you correctly bed the brakes the squeal will stop. And they've reported success. I, on the other hand (and others) followed the bedding instructions precisely and had no luck getting rid of it. Haven't heard it yet this year though, so hope springs eternaal!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just noticed the Winter Squeal come back last week.
I'm almost at the replacement point at which time the BBK goes on.
I'm hoping the new rotors & pads won't squeal after I bed them.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default A fatal flaw for the S4 in the northeast IMO

Originally Posted by redrocker55
I've driven the car in sub zero (F) temps and would get a bit of squeal until the brakes would get warmed up. If it's really that bad then you might want to take it in. I've heard stories of a grain of sand or dirt (or, possibly, in your case even a bit of rust flaked off a rotor since you don't drive the car much) getting in between the pad and rotor and causing some noise.

I would say it is not a surprise to get a little noise when the temps dip to around freezing but if you are having to change your braking style then it might be something more.

My first 2 winters were in NYC and I wouldn't buy the S4 again because of the horrific brake squeal in sub 45 degree weather.

I'm sorry, but this is not debatable for me. A $60K care I don't want to hear the justifications or the lame Audi pamphlet they gave me when I complained. This is crappy brake design for cold weather climates and no amount of saying how "you just don't get it" matter when you squeal like a stuck pig coming to a stop next to a civic and he laughs at your car. Yes, you can toast him on the take off, but then he'll laugh again at the next stop and we all eventually have to stop. I used to absolutely dread a red light. Embarrassing as hell.

But, I live in SF now and will not have to deal with that nearly as much except on the rare cold morning. But, I'll never forget that horrible squeal for 5 months a year.

Quick Reply: Houston we have brake squeal