S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How to break in my S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ez vee dub
Simply put guys, I'm not going to do much explaining, BUT, what i'm saying is a factory guide to the break-in. The aluminum block needs a bed-in period. In Germany, they have had blocks prematurely fail due to high speed runs, something which in the US, does not occur much (no Autobahn like Germany), but it is mentioned, so the first 500-600 miles, you can drive it hard, just not for sustained periods of high speed runs. After this period, you can run it hard. I see these cars on a daily basis and deal with them all the time.
. In what capacity?

Lets clarify some things. Most German engines do not have an aluminum block. Other than BMWs N54 and N55 engines which ARE aluminum blocks WITH cast iron sleeves, the engines are Alum ALLOY blocks WITH Alusil cylinder linings which are acid etched for roughness rather than mechanically cross hatched as are done on cast iron blocks and sleeves. Alusil is extremely hard and take somewhat longer to WEAR IN against the piston rings. All break in techniques advise against running the engine at a constant rpm for any extended period. Also, due to the extreme hardness of the Alusil cylinder walls, it takes longer than 600 miles for break in. PLUS there are many parts other than the piston rings and cylinders that need to WEAR IN.

Last edited by DrGP; 01-09-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrGP
. In what capacity?

Lets clarify some things. Most German engines do not have an aluminum block. Other than BMWs N54 and N55 engines which ARE aluminum blocks WITH cast iron sleeves, the engines are Alum ALLOY blocks WITH Alusil cylinder linings which are acid etched for roughness rather than mechanically cross hatched as are done on cast iron blocks and sleeves. Alusil is extremely hard and take somewhat longer to WEAR IN against the piston rings. All break in techniques advise against running the engine at a constant rpm for any extended period. Also, due to the extreme hardness of the Alusil cylinder walls, it takes longer than 600 miles for break in. PLUS there are many parts other than the piston rings and cylinders that need to WEAR IN.
To clarify, I'm strictly talking about the Audi V6 aluminum engines only. Starting from the 3.2 FSI to current 3.0TFSI. The block is not meant to see high RPM continued usage for the first 500-600 miles. This is known from the factory, not a basic German engine knowledge base. What has changed is a honed finished is now applied to the 3.0TFI engines cylinder bores, something the 3.2 FSI did not have. This is available knowledge to any Audi tech who has attended classes and worked on Audis over the last few years.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All my Audi's have been broken in by manufacturer - audi specifications with no issues and no oil use for years on different engines and models. Never an issue following the manufacturer's specs who made the car versus people who post on a board. If your car has issues would you rather have Audi standing behind it or one of the posters here who I'm sure will fly out to support you and pay for all your issues...lol YA RIGHT =)

Play the game if you want but it is really not that specific or technical. Some people just like complicating things.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sepangS4
All my Audi's have been broken in by manufacturer - audi specifications with no issues and no oil use for years on different engines and models. Never an issue following the manufacturer's specs who made the car versus people who post on a board. If your car has issues would you rather have Audi standing behind it or one of the posters here who I'm sure will fly out to support you and pay for all your issues...lol YA RIGHT =)

Play the game if you want but it is really not that specific or technical. Some people just like complicating things.
And...there =) it is...

I'm sure you know what I mean. Arg.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm leasing the car so long term I'm not worried about.

Thanks guys![/QUOTE]

Scarry ^
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4forlife

Thanks guys!

Scarry ^[/QUOTE]

Scary? I was just pointing out that I won't be eventually owning the car. Even my Audi guy at the dealership who sold me the car said drive as hard as I want. I have the Audi Care and the car will be under warranty the entire time I have it. I'm not an idiot, bouncing the car off redline and maxing out 6th gear ten minutes after I get. I do believe in a proper hard break in though. So take your "scary" comment elsewhere bub!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Par5nTwo
Scarry ^
Scary? I was just pointing out that I won't be eventually owning the car. Even my Audi guy at the dealership who sold me the car said drive as hard as I want. I have the Audi Care and the car will be under warranty the entire time I have it. I'm not an idiot, bouncing the car off redline and maxing out 6th gear ten minutes after I get. I do believe in a proper hard break in though. So take your "scary" comment elsewhere bub![/QUOTE]
Oh but it is scary... especially for the unlucky person who buys your car after you're done with it.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by brocken
Scary? I was just pointing out that I won't be eventually owning the car. Even my Audi guy at the dealership who sold me the car said drive as hard as I want. I have the Audi Care and the car will be under warranty the entire time I have it. I'm not an idiot, bouncing the car off redline and maxing out 6th gear ten minutes after I get. I do believe in a proper hard break in though. So take your "scary" comment elsewhere bub!
Oh but it is scary... especially for the unlucky person who buys your car after you're done with it.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by S4forlife

Thanks guys!

Scarry ^[/QUOTE]

Hey brocken, EAD friend!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redrocker55
And...there =) it is...

I'm sure you know what I mean. Arg.
FINALLY! Somebody else noticed what I noticed about SepangS4 aka giovanni0330 aka TrollMaster9000.

I made a thread about it over in the AudiZine B8 S4 Chatterbox.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I Can tell you used to drive a mustang

Originally Posted by Par5nTwo
Scarrry ^
Scary? I was just pointing out that I won't be eventually owning the car. Even my Audi guy at the dealership who sold me the car said drive as hard as I want. I have the Audi Care and the car will be under warranty the entire time I have it. I'm not an idiot, bouncing the car off redline and maxing out 6th gear ten minutes after I get. I do believe in a proper hard break in though. So take your "scary" comment elsewhere bub![/QUOTE/]

Sorry,
Didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. I recently Purchased a CPO S4 with 4700 miles on it, and got what I thought was a good deal. However if the owner would have said something like that I would have thought twice. Thats all I was saying.

On another note these “Audi Guys” get paid each time the car comes in for service, and service is a very big part of the overall business. I would tell you to hammer it as well.

Welcome to AW

Quick Reply: How to break in my S4