S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How to break in my S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the years I have read various break-in recommendations, but I have always followed factory recommendations and have never had a problem with oil consumption. One thing that I believe we can all agree on is that you definitely don't break-in a car by taking a long trip and maintaining the same speed for sustained periods of time.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sly1
Over the years I have read various break-in recommendations, but I have always followed factory recommendations and have never had a problem with oil consumption. One thing that I believe we can all agree on is that you definitely don't break-in a car by taking a long trip and maintaining the same speed for sustained periods of time.
I agree, but I have seen people do it just to get miles on the car past the break-in mileage.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
And...there =) it is...

I'm sure you know what I mean. Arg.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
If you have read the posts on this forum about breaking in the car you know that the moto-man method is what has worked for many on these forums...A-world and A-zine.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

When we hear about engines burning excessive oil it's because the engines were broken in soft.

I followed moto man / Dr GP method and I'm at 58,000 miles and have not needed to add a drop of oil.

I have many long hills around St Louis. I concentrated every day for the first 2 weeks on holding higher engine speeds while going down these hills. Then slowly accelerating up the hills in 2 and 3rd gears near but not quite at redline.

My engine purrs.
Mine burned oil and there is absolutely nothing that can be considered soft about anything I did to that car. I drove the fock out of it.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
Mine burned oil and there is absolutely nothing that can be considered soft about anything I did to that car. I drove the fock out of it.
Maybe I'm wrong but I see no reason why Porsche, Audi or BMW would recommend a moderate break-in method when in reality they all knew that driving to red line during the first 500 miles was the way to go. It's hardly in any of their best interests to build cars that burn oil, so why not recommend the best break-in method? The only other option would be that some posters on this board are more knowledgeable tham the Engineers from these companies. That's possible but not likely IMO.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would suggest that Porshe, Audi, and BMW are MUCH more interested in a break-in procedure that minimizes warranty claims than in recommending a break-in procedure that will maximize engine life/minimize oil consumption. They honestly are not interested in how much oil your engine uses, as their definition of "excess oil consumption" is so liberally defined that your valves will be rattling around in their guides before you reach it. Occasionally tolerances will gang-up on you and you will end up with an overly "tight" engine... In those instances, the "easy" break-in procedure is probably best... even if it doesn't seal the cylinders as well as a more vigerous break-in procedure...

In the end, it is up to you, the owner... Read all you can, weigh the different opinions, and make you decision(s) from there. I for one, break-in my vehicles in much the same way I plan to use them...

Mike

Last edited by Michael S.; 01-11-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
I would suggest that Porshe, Audi, and BMW are MUCH more interested in a break-in procedure that minimizes warranty claims than in recommending a break-in procedure that will maximize engine life/minimize oil consumption. They honestly are not interested in how much oil your engine uses, as their definition of "excess oil consumption" is so liberally defined that your valves will be rattling around in their guides before you reach it. Occasionally tolerances will gang-up on you and you will end up with an overly "tight" engine... In those instances, the "easy" break-in procedure is probably best... even if it doesn't seal the cylindars as well as a more vigerous break-in procedure...

In the end, it is up to you, the owner... Read all you can, weigh the different opinions, and make you decision(s) from there. I for one, break-in my vehicles in much the same way I plan to use them...

Mike
You have been reading my posts! Its all about the money. Owner, taking a COLD tight new engine and bouncing it off the red-line, COULD result in early engine failure. Cost to Audi: about $25k per failure. Cost of having EVERY engine they make consuming 10 qts of oil every 12K miles. ZERO! Obviously that is extreme, but just making a point.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

My take on things? I can understand why manufacturers would be hesitant to recommend WOTing a very powerful car that is brand new to the owner.

And demo cars (especially performance cars) will always have been driven hard from mile zero. But I have yet to hear anyone recommend against a demo car. If hard driving at the beginning really damaged the car, then no-one would touch an ex-demo with a bargepole.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

This thread has a lot of useful information, thanks guys!

Is this a correct description of what I should do? I am eagerly waiting for the delivery of my S4. =)

Do the following 2-3 times per day before 1500 miles:

(1) Warm up the engine properly.
(2) Steadily rev up the engine to a high RPM. (People have difference in recommending revving all the way to redline or to a high RPM like 5k.)
(3) Take foot off the gas after the RPM is hit, and let the car brake itself.

Questions:
For (2), shall I do it in various gears through paddle shifts? Or I should just let the DSG figure out itself?

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinHee
(1) Warm up the engine properly.
(2) Steadily rev up the engine to a high RPM. (People have difference in recommending revving all the way to redline or to a high RPM like 5k.)
(3) Take foot off the gas after the RPM is hit, and let the car brake itself.
(1) yes
(2) yes if "steadily" means full throttle and (ideally) all the way to redline
(3) yes

Regarding (2) and (3), this should be done in a single gear (2nd or 3rd are generally the most practical options). With DSG, maybe you have to come off the gas a bit early to avoid it prematurely changing up (even if you're in manual mode) - but as a manual driver I cannot give advice on that.

Quick Reply: How to break in my S4