S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How to break in your new S4

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to break in your new S4

There's lots of different opinions on the internet and I was wondering how you guys broke in your car? Do you follow the car manual in breaking in?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=break
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sorry. I did a search and couldn't find topics when I typed Break in. I figured I'd ask.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No worries, just pointing you in the right direction. Almost everyone with something to say here has said it, and you won't likely get any newer opinions or info that is already contained in the reference threads in that link
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Breaking mine in hard. Another 400 mi or so to 1000
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please, do not use the gentle technique recommend in the manual. There is no fix for those that have oil consumption isses. All I know is that I have "Worn in"(a more acurate term for the proceedure) my latest cars (95 Cobra, 98 M3, 2002 A6 2.7T, 04 S4,04 350Z, 07 335i, 08 Lexus IS250 and my 10 S4) Aggressively. Did not beat the car. Ran WOT (after reaching normal operating temps)to redline from day #1 3-4 times per day in a controlled manner, followed by engine braking. WOTs below redline as desired. NONE of my cars have used any appreciable oil. ALL cars will consume small amounts of oil. Many who have followed my recommendations have thanked me. NO one has ever come back and said that they had engine problems or oil consumption issues who followed my(or Motoman's) recommendations. That cannot be said about the Audi easy break in technique. Not all that follow the easy break in WILL have problems. But too many will. So you can WEAR it in aggressively(I don't recommend the drive like you stole it method even though I believe it is actually better than the gentle break in technique), or you can follow the manufacturer's recommendation and take your chances. But what could I possible know and why would Audi recommend a break in technique that might result in oil consumption issues? BECAUSE, Audi sets the criteria for excess oil consumption so high that they know that they will almost never have a claim or need to do any remediation. BUT if someone over does the break in and over revs a cold engine and it goes BOOM, that could be out big money. It always about the money.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Please, do not use the gentle technique recommend in the manual. There is no fix for those that have oil consumption isses. All I know is that I have "Worn in"(a more acurate term for the proceedure) my latest cars (95 Cobra, 98 M3, 2002 A6 2.7T, 04 S4,04 350Z, 07 335i, 08 Lexus IS250 and my 10 S4) Aggressively. Did not beat the car. Ran WOT (after reaching normal operating temps)to redline from day #1 3-4 times per day in a controlled manner, followed by engine braking. WOTs below redline as desired. NONE of my cars have used any appreciable oil. ALL cars will consume small amounts of oil. Many who have followed my recommendations have thanked me. NO one has ever come back and said that they had engine problems or oil consumption issues who followed my(or Motoman's) recommendations. That cannot be said about the Audi easy break in technique. Not all that follow the easy break in WILL have problems. But too many will. So you can WEAR it in aggressively(I don't recommend the drive like you stole it method even though I believe it is actually better than the gentle break in technique), or you can follow the manufacturer's recommendation and take your chances. But what could I possible know and why would Audi recommend a break in technique that might result in oil consumption issues? BECAUSE, Audi sets the criteria for excess oil consumption so high that they know that they will almost never have a claim or need to do any remediation. BUT if someone over does the break in and over revs a cold engine and it goes BOOM, that could be out big money. It always about the money.
I am actually going to do what you recommend when it arrives. I've only had a corolla and an echo before, so not much breaking in there. WOT got me no where fast lol
Old 01-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Drive it like how you would normally drive it

I WOT and redline off the dealer right after I got it
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was inclined to follow the manual but after a lot of thinking I decided to follow Dr. GP's suggestios and at six months and 7,000 miles I haven't burned a drop of oil as far as I can tell. the car's happy.

Doc, who was that guy you mentioned before who wrote about engine break-in, especially for motorcycles? That guy explained the rationale behind the hard break-in really well I thought.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My old 96 A4 used to drink oil, about a quart a month, but I got it used and according to the dealer it WAS driven by a little old lady.

My old B5 S4 never drank a drop with a "hard" break in and I'm breaking my brand new one exactly as DrGP describes.

Quick Reply: How to break in your new S4