S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How to export MP3s from iTunes to SD card?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to export MP3s from iTunes to SD card?

I have a several MP3s that I would like to transfer to a SD card. I am pretty comfortable with computers but know very little about MP3s.

I have transfered them with Windows Explorer. They play in the car but they are not grouped by artist.

My daughter has an iPod and the songs are grouped by artist. She has suggested I use iTunes. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do the transfer with iTunes.

How can I transfer my MP3s and have them grouped by artist by my S4 sound system. I have the standard radio not the optional B&O.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can put them on the SD and then import them into the Jukebox and the MMI will do this for you automatically. If you want them arranged like this on the SD card, you would have to do this manually if there is not a way for iTunes to allow you to copy the entire folder structure like it is in the iPod.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've never tried it. But if you made a play list, and then selected all the songs in the play list and drag them to the card, it may work.

As for the grouping by artist. You may be out of luck, with out a little work on your part. I think that iTunes and iPods have programming to specifically look at the metadata and group songs buy atrist, album, etc. I don't think that the MMI on the S4 has this ability (may be wrong, don't own one yet.)

From what I've read on various threads is that the MMI has the ability to see the folders on the SD card. You may have to make folders for all the individual artists, on your card, if you need/want them seperated out that way. But same threads say that you can still random the songs on the SD card, but you'd have to navigate through the various folders if you want to listed to a specific artist. (please correct me if I'm wrong guys/gals)

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I could be wrong.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MMI reads all relevant metadata from all mp3 files. For the Jukebox, to have songs grouped by artist, etc., just be sure to have all the right metadata for each track. This is easiest to add or correct in iTunes under "properties" for each song if it's not already populated for you. If you ripped these straight from a CD in iTunes or purchased them as mp3s, these should be already populated automatically assuming that you allow iTunes to fetch the relevant data for you. (iTunes can also grab the right cover art for you, but sadly the MMI doesn't show art work.)

For playing from an SD card, just drag the songs you want into an appropriate folder on the SD card to organize them in any grouping you'd like.

I don't recall whether the MMI read AAC/iTunes-DRM tracks since I covnert everything to mp3 anyway.

In general, iTunes is very helpful for keeping your music organized even if you don't own an iPod/iPhone.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

The good thing about itunes is that it will automatically organize all your files into folders based on Artist, then album, etc. Then you can copy all the files onto the SD card with that folder structure.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Like everybody said here. Make sure to start off with properly labled music files first "check the info" of them in itunes.

I just drag and drop files directly from itunes into my sd card "drive" and it automatically copies them.

I do this mostly for podcasts because it is very easy to do every couple of days.

There are probably better ways to do all this and keep your music more organized.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just find where the songs are stored on your computer. Usually My Music => Itunes => Itunes Music (I think?). Copy this entire folder into your SD card.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
Just find where the songs are stored on your computer. Usually My Music => Itunes => Itunes Music (I think?). Copy this entire folder into your SD card.
Only if your copying less or the same amount of GB your card can handle. I have more music than two 32GB cards would hold. Last time I checked I have almost 200GB of music. It would be more if it was all in 320, or lossless, since they are larger file sizes, but I'm not that big of an audiophile.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good point. Some picking and choosing needs to be done in this case.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All of my Media Player files are in folders. I just copy the folders to my SD card using windows exploder.

Bruce

Quick Reply: How to export MP3s from iTunes to SD card?