S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How good are Tire Rack winter wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good are Tire Rack winter wheels?

I will soon need to buy 18 inch wheels for winter.

My first choice are VMR wheels. However they seem to cost around $700+ for a set of 4.

Tire Rack offers several wheels a bit more than $500.

What is your experience with these wheels. How reliable are they?

Has anyone got experience with their Moda MD11? These look pretty nice to me.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd get the VMRs if I was you.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Denis54
I will soon need to buy 18 inch wheels for winter.

My first choice are VMR wheels. However they seem to cost around $700+ for a set of 4.

Tire Rack offers several wheels a bit more than $500.

What is your experience with these wheels. How reliable are they?

Has anyone got experience with their Moda MD11? These look pretty nice to me.
My disclaimer will be that when winter is here, I care less about the look of my wheels and car, living in Maine.

Having said that, I went with the Sport Edition SE 14 wheels from Tire Rack and they are great in the winter. Paired with Dunlop winter tires, for about $1350 last year (tires + wheels), I have what I need to get through a variety of conditions. Everyone has their own opinion on dedicated winters, as I'm sure most will be happy to chime in on, but I would only do 18s with winter tires in the winter up here. It lets you get through lots of snow and not lose the spirit of the s4...
Old 09-23-2010, 02:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Slightly off topic, but when do others plan to do their winter wheel swap outs? Live in the Northeast. Just curious about timing...
Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smith837
Slightly off topic, but when do others plan to do their winter wheel swap outs? Live in the Northeast. Just curious about timing...
I swap when the temp is consistantly below 7C or about 40F so around late October early November. The summer tread will harden below those temps and effect braking etc. That's my two cents anyway. I am using my stock 18" rims as my winters.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For me in St Louis, I usually do the switch in early December and time it based on temps and any pending threat of snow before a long driving business trip. Temps dip and snow hits here in December.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think the answer to this question varies greatly by region. People in Albany or Buffalo NY will switch over sooner than someone like me in Philadelphia. I switch the weekend (or the night) before the first snow is forecast by the weatherman, usually sometime in December...but it could be very early December or very late December depending upon the weather in a given year.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking at early November and I will switch out to 18". Still debating wheel choice. Considering VMR, Hartman or OZ as contenders.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd like to know about the Tirerack wheels as well, in particular the Elbrus 106 they have as their preferred winter package for the S4. Anyone know the quality of this brand? Also, does anyone have them or seen them in person? The pictures of the wheel itself on their site look great to my eyes (sorta potato peelerish, which I like) but when you click on the "see wheel on the car" it doesn't look so good. I was going to get the Hartmann potato peeler replicas in 18" but if these look similar and are good quality, it would certainly be alot cheaper and easier. Anyone seen them in "the flesh"?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Most are Chiinee

There are a few wheels tire rack sells that aren't Rial, Borbet. I got Rial DH's from them last year (they were on sale) - don't look bad, are manuf in germany, don't require centering ring (bore is correct as is) - but looks like $700 +/- is the going price

Quick Reply: How good are Tire Rack winter wheels?