S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How to protect a brand new car's paint & wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith837
FWIW, I don't own/use a power washer. Just sprayed it on, agitated a bit, then washed away with regular hose. At that point, my wheels didn't look like the photos at the end here -- I still needed to wash them a bit -- but everything left wiped off like butter. And this goes for my first wash with 2+ weeks on the car and loads of gunk on the wheels from the new brakes/tires.

I don't profess to be an expert in this area, but I like to do my homework and seek out expert opinions. Try it and if you think other products beat it, let us know.
You hit home exactly what I was trying to say... it was the power washer that got the wheels so clean and not the product.

I've used dozens of different wheel cleaners over the years in detailing and have yet to find any product that works well with just spraying it on and hosing it off.

If after using "X,Y,Z" product you still have to wash/clean the wheels by hand, then it's really no better than just plain soap and water.... which is what I use 90% of the time. The other times I need to clean a wheel really well I just use a diluted application of simple green (on cool wheels of course) and it costs a fraction of what some specialized wheel cleaners cost.

That being said I do apply a coat or 2 of Menzerna FMJ on my wheels maybe once a year when I do a thorough detailing of my car. Works well enough and makes the wheels easier to clean. I'd pass on using traditional waxes as the heat will just melt the wax away in a short amount of time.

Last edited by NickS; 05-19-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Muray
This topic might have been beaten to death already. But here it is anyway since I want to hear if anyone has any new info. I'll be getting a 2011 in Phantom Black. I plan on doing something right away to protect the paint. Since the paint will be brand new, I would think it would be a little different than an older car. I also want it to be as simple and easy as possible. So I am thinking Klasse AIO & Sealant.

Also, my MB had severe brake dust problem and the brake dust got cooked onto the rims and wouldn't come out! MB changed the brakd pads so there is no more problem but I can't get the brake dust off the rims to save my life, I've tried everything. I am hoping the new S4 won't have this problem. Should I try some kind of wheel wax to prevent this problem?
i just picked up a new A3 and wanted to avoid the brake dust problem as well. went out and bought the Eagle One Wheel Keep Clean. i applied over the weekend and yesterday it rained. wheels became very hazy. i know it would with all the rain. i'll give it one more shot and see how it works without rain. i see Armor All has a similar sealant...might try that one next.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zerinTT
I've never put any sort of sealant on my wheels, BBS, HRE, OEM or otherwise... diluted simple green + power washer and they come out looking good as new. Just requires a little gentle detail work and that's all you need! All this talk of sealant seems silly and pointless if you wash your wheels regularly.
FWIW, Klasse SG seems to have made my regular wheel washes more effortless, which is why I haven't had to use my P21s gel much since the sealed wheels have been put on. By comparison, my OEM sport pkg wheels weren't sealed w/ anything and required a significant amount of elbow grease to get clean, even tho they were washed every 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have a power washer but am still wondering what ratio you use for your Simple Green dilution? I read a few horror stories about Simple Green ruining wheel finishes and therefore never gave it the time of day, but I also know many ppl have had success w/ it.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had ANY issues with SG as long as the wheels are cool. I just fill up the reservoir on my power washer with it, put the foaming washing tip on and hit it. It takes care of the mixing and foaming, but I think a 2:1 mix is safe.

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
FWIW, Klasse SG seems to have made my regular wheel washes more effortless, which is why I haven't had to use my P21s gel much since the sealed wheels have been put on. By comparison, my OEM sport pkg wheels weren't sealed w/ anything and required a significant amount of elbow grease to get clean, even tho they were washed every 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately, I don't have a power washer but am still wondering what ratio you use for your Simple Green dilution? I read a few horror stories about Simple Green ruining wheel finishes and therefore never gave it the time of day, but I also know many ppl have had success w/ it.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have found this stuff works wonders...wheels seem to stay cleaner longer and easier to clean, just don't use a wheel cleaner that will strip the wax.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/swiss...nwheelwax.aspx
Old 05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NickS
You hit home exactly what I was trying to say... it was the power washer that got the wheels so clean and not the product.

I've used dozens of different wheel cleaners over the years in detailing and have yet to find any product that works well with just spraying it on and hosing it off.

If after using "X,Y,Z" product you still have to wash/clean the wheels by hand, then it's really no better than just plain soap and water.... which is what I use 90% of the time. The other times I need to clean a wheel really well I just use a diluted application of simple green (on cool wheels of course) and it costs a fraction of what some specialized wheel cleaners cost.
Hmm. Wondering to what extent the SONAX did the heavy lifting though -- there was a lot of black stuff (intense break dust deposits) that hosed right off after applying the SONAX. The hose alone wouldn't have removed these. The washing step amounted to just quickly wiping away a very thin layer of light gray dirt/dust that remained. :-S

I suppose I could just try a regular wash next time to see how much easier the SONAX made it.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't like to use any of the wheel cleaners on my wheels. Alot of these acid like wheel cleaners cannot be good for the clearcoat on these wheels . I just use regular car soap and water once a week and the wheels stay like new.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
I don't like to use any of the wheel cleaners on my wheels. Alot of these acid like wheel cleaners cannot be good for the clearcoat on these wheels . I just use regular car soap and water once a week and the wheels stay like new.
x2. I do apply a few coats Meguires basic Car cleaner/wax a few times a year. It does help with cleaning. I have seen cleaners eat clear coat.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
I wouldn't use acid either. The SONAX Wheel Cleaner is acid-free and pH-balanced. But, nothing wrong with regular car soap if it does the job.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will check out the Sonax wheel cleaner. Also, agree on the waxing once in a while.

Quick Reply: How to protect a brand new car's paint & wheels?