S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

I bottomed out on concrete parking block!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bottomed out on concrete parking block!

Unbelievable! I got a flat yesterday and this today. I am not having luck with my new car. I parked in front of a concrete parking divider that's designed to keep the car from going forward. We all know what it is. Well, I was thinking about something, totally forgot about the block, drove right on top of it. The car went over it like it was nothing. But the block was exactly the height of the car, so it broke off some underbody panel piece and a little scratch to the metal and that's it. Guys across the street from a garage got me off it. You can imagine the horror from bottoming out a less than month old S4 on a concrete block. Good thing is, it didn't scratch any painted pieces! No leaks or nothing, the car drives perfectly fine. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I just need the underbody panels which I will order from ECS tuning. A few bolts removed and back on and it will be like new. But I can't find the pieces on the ECS website. What should I put in to search for it?

What a lucky break I caught. I guess I should feel lucky. Never in more than 20 years of driving I got a flat from a pothole and bottomed out a car. Hopefully this will be the only incident I'll have with my new S4. The way it went over that concrete block...effortless. It's like, I put it in drive, tipped the gas pedal, and I was over the block. I don't think an SUV could have gone over it so easily. What a great luck to bottom out a car over a concrete block without any scratch to the paint. So I am counting my blessings.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

Be careful running over stuff, there is not much clearance on the A arm attachment brackets there is less than 4" clearance to the ground at the front lower control arm
mounting point
& and only 7" clearance on the front spoiler.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...=1#post6042347
Old 04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Muray
Unbelievable! I got a flat yesterday and this today. I am not having luck with my new car. I parked in front of a concrete parking divider that's designed to keep the car from going forward. We all know what it is. Well, I was thinking about something, totally forgot about the block, drove right on top of it. The car went over it like it was nothing. But the block was exactly the height of the car, so it broke off some underbody panel piece and a little scratch to the metal and that's it. Guys across the street from a garage got me off it. You can imagine the horror from bottoming out a less than month old S4 on a concrete block. Good thing is, it didn't scratch any painted pieces! No leaks or nothing, the car drives perfectly fine. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I just need the underbody panels which I will order from ECS tuning. A few bolts removed and back on and it will be like new. But I can't find the pieces on the ECS website. What should I put in to search for it?

What a lucky break I caught. I guess I should feel lucky. Never in more than 20 years of driving I got a flat from a pothole and bottomed out a car. Hopefully this will be the only incident I'll have with my new S4. The way it went over that concrete block...effortless. It's like, I put it in drive, tipped the gas pedal, and I was over the block. I don't think an SUV could have gone over it so easily. What a great luck to bottom out a car over a concrete block without any scratch to the paint. So I am counting my blessings.
Well can't say your'e the only one whose done it, because I also had the bright idea of driving straight (for convenience instead of reversing) at a local grocery store a few years back and my front bumper (lowered MKIV Golf) lobbed right over the concrete pillar and was giving me some trouble when trying to reverse back. I think I pulled my bumper pretty good but was able to recover out of it. Luckily I learned my lesson BEFORE buying an S4.

Thankfully you didn't damage anything too badly. Cheers!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know what the underbody panels below the engine is called? I can't find them online because I don't know what they are called exactly.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 275 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Muray
Does anyone know what the underbody panels below the engine is called? I can't find them online because I don't know what they are called exactly.
Maybe; Under Body Shield (Belly Pan) ? This is the A4 B8 version...

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-...2.0T/ES130615/
Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It happens... I tore a hole in my APR RSC exhaust's resonator about a month after installation due to a metal speed bump at the crest of a driveway. It didn't help that I am lowered on KW V2 coilovers.

-Mike-