S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

I want to order a 2012 S4 but have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I want to order a 2012 S4 but have some questions

It has been 10 years since I have owned a S4. Now that it has come time to find the best deal I have a couple questions about the obscure charges from the Audi dealers. a couple dealers I have talked to won't guarantee a price on the 2012 S4 that I order from the factory since "prices are subject to change" between now and when I take delivery. I understand if Audi USA makes some minor changes in the charges for the car or options but its the unknown charges that can be tacked onto the invoice that gives me pause.
I have been told by one dealer that I can get the vehicle for $1000 over invoice (but no invoice until the car arrives, so it could be a bit risky with unknown charges). I asked to see an invoice on a 2011 S4 in stock to get an idea of "other charges".

On an official looking Audi (Volkswagen group of America) invoice for a 2011 S4 Southern California car has these 3 obscure labels and pricing:
SCADA2 #350 $438.04
AoA LA DAA #351 $274.00
Preparation and inspection $195

1-Are the first two charges for advertising?

I was told "Preparation and Inspection" was a charge mandated by Audi that takes place at the port.
In addition I was told That they would waive an additional dealer prep (not listed on the invoice)of $295 that takes place once the car arrives at the dealer. Which is removal of protection film, wash, fluids, suspension adjust etc. etc.
2-I know that the dealer prep fee is BS but what about the one listed on the invoice for the port of call? Is this also another BS charge or is this a real charge from Audi? Should this prep fee also be waived?

3-Has anyone in Souther California been able to get a discount on the high ad fees of over $700?

4-Does "$1000 over invoice" (including these 3 charges of $907, so really totaling $1907 over the car+delivery invoice) seem fair on a S4 ordered from the factory?

On my build via TRUECAR.com:
Dealer cost: $57,421
Factory invoice: $57,870
MSRP: $61,150

Some people have mentioned that they were able to get Audicare for free or at a discount but it doesn't seem like any sales reps want to give a deal on this or almost anything else since "the S4 is a very limited and sought after vehicle".

5-How hard is it to get a deal on Audicare?

6-Any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

I know that there have been very few 2012 S4's ordered from the factory so finding out what a good value is may be much tougher than buying a car off the lot...

Thank you for helping me get back into the S4 family...

p.s.Before someone tells me to do a search, please let it be known that I have spent countless hours searching and researching on this site and AW, but since the 2012 orders are so new that it couldn't hurt to start a new thread with some specific questions.

Last edited by aris4n; 07-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Yes it is for advertising. Not sure how that is handled in CA, but I as well as other did not pay an additional fee for it. $1000 over invoice means just that. If the dealer says it doesn't go somewhere else.

2) I paid nothing extra for dealer prep. Can't say what others paid but my gut feeling is that it was also nothing.

4) Audi Care is negotiable, My dealer threw it for free at delivery after we pre negotiated the deal when I ordered the car without Audi Care

Perhaps some of the Southern CA members can help you out and steer you to a buyer friendly dealership in SC. If I remember correctly, Audi of Mission Viejo was given a very good rating by some members in the recent past. There are others as well a those to steer clear of.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrGP
1) Yes it is for advertising. Not sure how that is handled in CA, but I as well as other did not pay an additional fee for it. $1000 over invoice means just that. If the dealer says it doesn't go somewhere else.
Thank you for your feedback
But my understanding is that the dealer invoice is not just the cost of the car/options/and delivery. The invoice clearly states these additional charges for ads. They are all visible on truecar.com and other sites and listed at $936. The dealer also receives a payment holdback from Audi for $449 (Truecar.com) once the car sells.
I would most likely pay $1000 over the invoice for the cost of car/options/delivery, but In reality it looks like it would be closer to $2000 over invoice (if the invoice was just car/options/delivery).
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything on the audi actual invoice is not negotiable. Thats what the dealer is billed for the car.

Anythng other then a dealer doc fee, sales tax and dmv charges are usually BS fees.

Dealer prep is pure profit.