S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

I would like your opinions on black color options.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

jgd, Looks nice. I'm staying with Phantom Black. Now I just have to wait until October.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 PM
jgd
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sducotey
jgd, Looks nice. I'm staying with Phantom Black. Now I just have to wait until October.
I was just shy of 90 days from order to pick up, well worth the wait. Did your dealer provide you a commision number yet? If not keep after them as you want to confirm the factory has the order in their schedule.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I choose Brilliant

I placed an order for Brilliant Black Ti edition in June and will get it at the end of August. The dealer had some A6's in stock in Phantom Black and an S4 with Brilliant black. I actually went back to the dealer on a sunny day just to compare the difference between the colors.

Both are nice. The Phantom Black was nice, but I preferred the deep rich black of the Brilliant. IMO, since it is black, it should be real deep black. The phantom almost looked like there was a slight amount of dirt on it because it was not as deep of a black. But Phanton has a nice amount of radience that was just a little multi-colored in bright sunlight if you looked closely. So you could argue it made the paint a bit more interesting.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got my commission number today. Assigned production week: 9/12/11. Actual production week: 8/29/11. I live close to the port so maybe I'll have it by the beginning of October.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have Brilliant Black and would NOT do it again. Stunning for the short period of time it stays clean, but it really is a beast to keep that way. The swirls are also a big issue, and I do spend the $$ to have 'professionals' keep it as clean as possible. Haven't seen a Phantom Black in person, but saw a white (IBIS ?) and it was amazing.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got Phantom Black. Like other said on here, you probably won't notice the difference from far away.

You "might" notice the difference if you're within 4' to see the metalic flakes. Also depends on the lighting:

Sunny outisde, but car sittin in the shade:

Car sitting inside a garage with white flourescent lights on the ceiling. Ah, now i can see the metallic flakes better under florescent lights..
Old 07-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got Brilliant Black. I've also got a Carbon Black Metallic M3 so can compare "pure" vs "metallic", Brilliant Black is only for those willing to keep it clean, but looks far better when it is IMHO. the metallics always look more shallow, a little dirtier, but honestly are much easier to live with....

Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jgd
I was just shy of 90 days from order to pick up, well worth the wait. Did your dealer provide you a commision number yet? If not keep after them as you want to confirm the factory has the order in their schedule.
Yes they did. The last status was assigned and actual production week of 8/29 and an ETA of 10/17. Stopped by the dealership again tonight to compare the blacks. The Brilliant Black does look very deep but I can see how hard it will be to maintain. I do think I'm going to stay with Phanton Black. It is probably too late to change now.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
I got Phantom Black. Like other said on here, you probably won't notice the difference from far away.

You "might" notice the difference if you're within 4' to see the metalic flakes. Also depends on the lighting:

Sunny outisde, but car sittin in the shade:

Car sitting inside a garage with white flourescent lights on the ceiling. Ah, now i can see the metallic flakes better under florescent lights..
Your car looks great! What do you do to maintain it? I have a Porter Cable 7424 with Menzerna polish and Lake Country pads. The polish and pads are all very gentle.

Right now I'm trying to decide to pick the car up before the dealership tries to wash and prep the outside.