S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

"Ideal" Suspension Set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Ideal" Suspension Set-up?

First of all, I know there is no real "ideal" because everyone and their needs and means are different.

But, when considering a magical sweet spot of handling, drop, looks, durability/reliability/longevity and cost, is there a set-up that you vote for as the best for your needs/best overall? What is it? And before people start yelling "search function", this question can't be answered by the search function, trust me I tried.

I've been thinking along the lines of H&R OE Sports springs and swaybars, which will cost in the neighborhood of $1K plus installation. A worthy option at that level would seem to be GMG springs and sways. Input from anyone running these would be welcome.

From there we would go to coilovers, most likely H&R, KW, Bilstein, etc.. $1500 is a nice round starting number. But would coilovers be enough, or would you still want sways? If so, you're gaining on $2500 or so, perhaps more.But have you gotten $1500 worth of value compared to the springs and sways? Obviously I don't know the answer.

Beyond that are more and more expensive options of course.

So, what have you done, how is it, and do you wish you had done something else?
Old 07-05-2010, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is this setup for the street, track or both?

Bruce
Old 07-05-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Is this setup for the street, track or both?

Bruce
For me!

No, actually I guess it would have to be for what I imagine the average S4 driver to be: A fairly aggressive driver who likes speed, uses the car every day and has thoughts of the track and maybe a few visits there but who also has to take the wife out to dinner.

Or for you who bought suspension components, whoever you are. Perhaps it would be good if people described how they intend to use the car.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I ran the Stasis Tracksport 600/700 coil-overs in my last S4 for 7+ years, great suspension. Will likely run the Stasis Ohlin SL coil-overs in this car. They are pretty spendy though.

However, this car handles much better than my old B5 S4 in stock form, so you can get by with less suspension mods likely.

Bruce
Old 07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the Stasis Ohlins Tracksports in my B6 and I found it a bit harsh for a DD. As my car will really never see the track, I don't think I will be going that aggressive this time around...I have really enjoyed the stock suspension so far, albeit a short period of time. So I guess I am in the same boat as at some point I will be looking to drop it a bit, but don't want a cheap C/O, but don't want something that is super stiff.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the Stasis tracksports are on the harsh side, granted. the Stasis Ohlin Motorsports are the best (adjustable ride).

Bruce
Old 07-05-2010, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the Stasis Tracksports in my B7 A4 and it was simply the best suspension setup I've ever owned. I've done various H&R, Intrax and a few others on various cars and nothing has kept the ride quality on the streets smooth as can be while making the car able to be a full on track monster. I went with higher spring rates (700/900) but the ride was still very comfortable even on 1500 mile road trips.

Originally Posted by rktskicar
I ran the Stasis Tracksport 600/700 coil-overs in my last S4 for 7+ years, great suspension. Will likely run the Stasis Ohlin SL coil-overs in this car. They are pretty spendy though.

However, this car handles much better than my old B5 S4 in stock form, so you can get by with less suspension mods likely.

Bruce
Old 07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's why I went with ADS. stiff and planted handling when you fell like it with comfort at a touch of the button. If I were you, I'd go with springs that offer the least amount of drop and Koni FSD dampers. More aggressive setup will take toll on comfort.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well it's too late for ADS for me, but for those in the market that could be advice well taken.

I was pretty high on the Ohlins until I read that they have to be rebuilt every two years at a cost of money and time. Have you Ohlinites had to do this? If so, how long did it take and how much did it cost?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All I know is that I never had my Tracksport dampers rebuilt over 7+ years time.

Bruce

Quick Reply: "Ideal" Suspension Set-up?