S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

"Ideal" Suspension Set-up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
I keep thinking about this. I mean, the Audi engineers are hardly idiots, they've already attempted to give the car the best combination of ride, handling and looks that can be had for the money. Isn't it a bit presumptuous to think we can do better than them? On the other hand, no matter what we do we are putting money into the system that they didn't have available, so it's not crazy to think that with the addition of some money you can end up with a better result, is it?

But think about, say, springs. If Audi went with springs that were identical to the H&R OE Sports in height and rate I doubt it would add much if anything to their build cost. After all, the car has springs already and they had to pay for those. But they made a conscious decision to go with the springs they currently have. Why them instead of, for example, clones of the OE Sports? Obviously Audi thought they were making the best choice considering the restraints (cost, availability, ease of use in manufacturing, and ???) that they were working under. If they were making their best guess then replacing the springs to get something (i.e. drop, handling) must mean that we are also giving up something as well. But what? Just money? Or something else? And is it worth the trade-off?

'Round and 'round she goes, where she stops, nobody knows...
I'm with you on this and I think the stock ride height is the perfect balance between performance and comfort for a sport sedan, although without a doubt, the engineers almost always have some budget constraints. The stock springs and dampers were designed to offer sporty handling with everyday driveability. Anything lower than stock will give the spring less travel range and definitely take away some comfort and practicality. By how much is subjective, and it also depends how good/bad the roads are where you live.

I'm skeptical about these claims, because I used to have Eibach springs on my A4 and while they were advertised to provide slight lowering with OEM ride quality, the reality was the ride was harsh compared to stock sport suspension. Not only that, it was impossible to drive over some street bumps or inclines without scraping. No doubt that a minimal wheel gap with nice size wheels and perfect offset look hot, but for my daily driver I'm willing to pass.

H&R OE springs are not as conservative as you think. According to specs, they drop the car 1.2" or only .3" less than their sport springs. I don't think it's possible to lower the car by that much and at the same time retain the stock ride quality. A .5" to .75" drop would have been much better for the OE spring IMO. If you really want to go lower, try the H&R OE's and see how they look and feel. Worst case scenario is you'll lose around around grand (thinking about $400 for the springs and $200-300 for every swap with alignment).

On a side note, few days ago I happened to be at an exotic car dealership with Ferraris, Lambos, Astons, etc. and when I looked at the wheel gap on these cars, it was not what we'd call a perfect stance, visually not lower than what you'll find on a stock S4.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW, here's the link for H&R specs: http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...0Audi%20|%20S4
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Went with KW V2's and GMG hollow sway bars. Been on the car for 2 mos now - just made road trip to Colorado and back. Setup is perfect for street and occasional track use.Great everyday ride.Tried the coilovers alone 1st but found that the nose wandered under hard braking and several quick transitions in a row (like a series of s turns) left the chassis unsettled.Sways cured the problem.Still working on final ride height and camber settings on the rear.Like the Stasis stuff but very pricy and the shock rebuild required every 2 yrs is a major expense on top of the initial cost. Simply not a cost effective solution for the S4.Just installed the Forgestars F14 in 19x9 and Yoko Ad08's in 255/35-19. Really stepped up the steering response compared to the Sport Max that came stock and of course they have way more grip.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Could you explain a bit more about "aggressive alignment" please? I'm not even positive I understand the concept.
Camber can be adjusted out of what Audi recommends to give the car a loaded stance, where if you are looking at the car from the front, the tops of the tires would tip in slightly, and the bottoms out. This has the tires already set to have more tread in contact with the pavement on corners, but you will pay for this setup by eating tires faster depending on how aggressive you go. The Acura NSX was famous for this setup, and wen through tires (not when using them on the track) just driving around normally within 10K miles often times.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Camber can be adjusted out of what Audi recommends to give the car a loaded stance, where if you are looking at the car from the front, the tops of the tires would tip in slightly, and the bottoms out...
Gotcha. Kind of in the same vein as getting my Allroad aligned at lever 2 and running it in level 1 all the time - feels great, eats tires.