S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Initial thoughts on Milltek non-res full system

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial thoughts on Milltek non-res full system

Overall, I would say I'm happy - but not thrilled. That is more my own expectations and not Stratmosphere/Milltek's fault. Under full throttle or driving aggressively, that car sounds great. But everyday use it is really kind of annoying. It sounds like there is a Honda Civic with a coffee can welded to the muffler following me around. I get it, I knew it was going to be loud, I just thought it would be a "different" loud and not quite as loud at lower rpm's. Again, when really driving it, it sounds great, it's just driving around normal when it doesn't. And I'm not talking about a little drone, I'm talking about really loud when accelerating lightly at low rpm's. Thinking a "cat back" version without the downpipes might have been better for me.

It does feel like there is a slight bit more power, but nothing huge. Maybe when chipped it will come into play more. The product looks very high quality (I have read some negative comments about welding and the like on older Milltek exhausts, but I don't see any of that on this). I LOVE the RS4 style tips - admittedly my main reason for choosing this product.

I'm still getting used to it. Loved the sounds out of my RS4. This just might take some getting used to.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tihsyloh
It sounds like there is a Honda Civic with a coffee can welded to the muffler following me around. .
Oh man, I hate to laugh but that is teh funneh.

Made my morning.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This just might take some getting used to.
It depends on how old you are. When you are young you must do the exhaust thing on more than one car and convince yourself that this is great. Once you are over that, you realize that a quiet ride overall is more important than the few seconds of full glory sound you get when you accelerate hard. If you are happy overall with your new system, great! If you are not, take the loss and return to your stock exhaust sooner rather than later.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what sort of transmission do you have?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1HOT S4
It depends on how old you are. When you are young you must do the exhaust thing on more than one car and convince yourself that this is great. Once you are over that, you realize that a quiet ride overall is more important than the few seconds of full glory sound you get when you accelerate hard.
Very true. I always wanted a 3-Series Bimmer and when I was 24 w/ a good job I had the means to get one. Well, within 8 months I wound up getting rid of the thing because it was TOO smooth, quiet and refined (for me). I instead went and got a brand new BMW Z4M Coupe, which is rough and stiff as hell. I even changed out the intake to make it a lot louder, although that's all I've done since it's leased. Well, it's now 3 years later and while I still love the M, the uber rough ride and "loudness" of it is wearing on me. I'm a few years older and I'm ready, again, for something bigger, quieter and more comfortable...hence I ordered an S4 a few weeks ago.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

No way you will get a V8 RS4 sound. I am sure the s/c may also effect the sound. You may have to switch to another make exhaust.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you've got a couple of options other than removing it and reverting to stock. If you contact Stratmosphere I would think they sell you the front resonator that you could have installed in place of the straight pipes that the non-res system includes. Then you'd have the hi-flow dp's with a quieter system. (I had a B6 S4 and Pete @ Stratmosphere told me that that would be an option if I found the non-res catback too loud.)

The other alternative is to just plug your stock downpipes back in. That should quiet it down somewhat.

Hope that helps and that you find a happy solution.

-Chris
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ccasey
I think you've got a couple of options other than removing it and reverting to stock. If you contact Stratmosphere I would think they sell you the front resonator that you could have installed in place of the straight pipes that the non-res system includes. Then you'd have the hi-flow dp's with a quieter system. (I had a B6 S4 and Pete @ Stratmosphere told me that that would be an option if I found the non-res catback too loud.)

The other alternative is to just plug your stock downpipes back in. That should quiet it down somewhat.

-Chris
Definitely a good suggestion. In my experience, resonator takes most of that "boom" when you get on the gas at low RPM out of the equation without affecting the overall volume at higher RPM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ccasey

-Chris
From everything I've read and been told, the stock downpipes will make the car even louder.

I too have the full Milltek. The only time I find it annoying or too loud is if I'm bogging out the engine... I have a 6mt so that doesn't happen too often. It's not very loud at all unless you're stomping on it.

Of course, everything is subjective. I was scared it was going to be too loud, I think overall it's just about right, perhaps leaning towards as loud as I can tolerate side of the spectrum for my daily driver.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Overall, I would say I'm happy - but not thrilled. That is more my own expectations and not Stratmosphere/Milltek's fault. Under full throttle or driving aggressively, that car sounds great. But everyday use it is really kind of annoying. It sounds like there is a Honda Civic with a coffee can welded to the muffler following me around. I get it, I knew it was going to be loud, I just thought it would be a "different" loud and not quite as loud at lower rpm's. Again, when really driving it, it sounds great, it's just driving around normal when it doesn't. And I'm not talking about a little drone, I'm talking about really loud when accelerating lightly at low rpm's. Thinking a "cat back" version without the downpipes might have been better for me.

It does feel like there is a slight bit more power, but nothing huge. Maybe when chipped it will come into play more. The product looks very high quality (I have read some negative comments about welding and the like on older Milltek exhausts, but I don't see any of that on this). I LOVE the RS4 style tips - admittedly my main reason for choosing this product.

I'm still getting used to it. Loved the sounds out of my RS4. This just might take some getting used to.
Im not totally clear, did you get the resonated downpipes or no? You mentioned the cat back version wo the down pipes. U might be able to order the resonated downpipes if thats not what you already have. If you search YouTube for the imola yellow s4 that NWS4Guy worked on, that one has Milltek Non resonated with the downpipes. Just a thought. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Initial thoughts on Milltek non-res full system