S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Interesting... C&D M3 vs. RS5 vs. CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting... C&D M3 vs. RS5 vs. CTS-V

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhICFQ8vsrw

Summary of the test from the magazine: http://killwithfire.blogspot.com/201...bmw-m3-vs.html

Last edited by zerinS4; 07-24-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 PM
awc
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It kinda mirrors the EVO article from a few weeks ago, with the RS5 having loads of power, but still not being enough to overwhelm the M3. I still prefer the styling of the interior in the RS5 when compared to those other two...but I have to admit I'm a fan of the exterior lines of that Caddilac coupe.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

I received the C&D with this comparison today. The RS5 lost by a significant margin and was knocked for artificial steering feel and a general lack of excitement compared to the other two. However, I think the CTS coupe is downright awkward looking and wouldn't want one, 556 hp and all.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Audi is having a hard time positioning the RS lineup these days. I don't think they are even clear as to what it means anymore. RS used to stand for all out performance, however these days they seem to be calling the RS5 more of a grand tourer which seems to be nothing more than an excuse as to why it's getting fairly universally negative reviews as a performance coupe. It's not that it's bad by any means on it's own, but compared to the "competition" it's getting whacked time and time again. I think Audi missed the mark with the RS5 by not clearly defining what they want the RS moniker to be.

Originally Posted by JD15
I received the C&D with this comparison today. The RS5 lost by a significant margin and was knocked for artificial steering feel and a general lack of excitement compared to the other two. However, I think the CTS coupe is downright awkward looking and wouldn't want one, 556 hp and all.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zerinTT
I think Audi is having a hard time positioning the RS lineup these days. I don't think they are even clear as to what it means anymore. RS used to stand for all out performance, however these days they seem to be calling the RS5 more of a grand tourer which seems to be nothing more than an excuse as to why it's getting fairly universally negative reviews as a performance coupe. It's not that it's bad by any means on it's own, but compared to the "competition" it's getting whacked time and time again. I think Audi missed the mark with the RS5 by not clearly defining what they want the RS moniker to be.
i totally agree and I expected more from the RS5. Mind you its still a great car for everyday use especially if one cant afford a second car if they live in areas that have snow.

I would love to see them rethink their RS models and maybe consider making a RWD only version for the RS models. I know ... I know audis non Quattros are front wheel drive but that's why I said rethink and go a different direction.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wrong noob. they should be FI and AWD, will fix this. Bruce
Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The RS5 the car I was waiting for....... not so sure anymore. Several European test have also confirmed the Car and Driver results:

Car and Driver: Audi RS5 vs. BMW M3 vs. Cadillac CTS-V
Car and Driver ventured out to the German Autobahn and the 'Ring to test the three hottest sport coupes out today. The Car and Driver test team burned up 2,000 dollars of fuel testing the coupe's 178 mph top speed. Car and Driver loved the RS5's gearbox, the Cadillac's power and M3's steering and the general performance level of all three was outstanding with 0 to 60 arriving in around 4 second flat and the "slowest" ran a 12.5 second 1/4 mile. Here are the ratings:

Third. Audi RS5. Car and Driver appreciated the RS5's 7 speed S-Tronic gearbox and 450 horsepower V8 but its 4,000 pound curb weight along with steering modes that never achieve satisfaction put it in third.

Second. Cadillac CTS-V. Car and Driver found the CTS-V the most stable on the Autobahn and the supercharged V8 most powerful, yet a little too quiet. C/D also liked the Cadillac's steering and brakes but was disappointed by its interior and Recaro seats.

First. BMW M3. The lightest in test (3,600 pounds) M3 with the competition package had the best handling in the test. C/D also liked the M3's V8 soundtrack. The M3 was the shiftiest at high speed on the Autobahn.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rktskicar
Couldn't agree more. I have said before if they wanted this car to be the RS it should have been, they would have put a small V8 in it and supercharged it. Having FI in the "S" cars and not in the "RS" is a huge mistake.

I can already hear the defensive excuses and crying from the near future here are now, when the RS5 comes here and the S4 is blowing it's doors off.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Couldn't agree more. I have said before if they wanted this car to be the RS it should have been, they would have put a small V8 in it and supercharged it. Having FI in the "S" cars and not in the "RS" is a huge mistake.

I can already hear the defensive excuses and crying from the near future here are now, when the RS5 comes here and the S4 is blowing it's doors off.
Something like BMW's 4.4L twin turbo V8 with around 550 hp would be nice, and would be enough to keep up with the CTS-V, M3 and upcoming M5. It isn't possible for a reasonably sized NA engine to keep up with those FI beasts.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rktskicar
LOL 9500 posts and you respond like a 10 year old.

Of course ...because one has more posts they are more educated right... lol

I was actually very happy when I heard the RS5 was going to be a NA engine. I like a good street car with very good track capabilities. This is why I have the M3. I dont want a FI engine as a track car due to maintenance and more importantly linear power... Nothing like accelerating out of an apex and having linear power. There is a reason why the GT3 RS is a better track car than the GT2...

If you track often enough you will know. Also... no mention about getting the car lighter your response is "Lets add more power"... If the RS is supposed to be a street/performance car it needs to get lighter. Losing the quattro will knock off about 200 pounds. (OMG this is an Audi forum and someone is mentioning that Audi make a performance car that is ONLY RWD! God forbid a manufacturer do something different!)

As far as knowing the Audi Brand I also had a stage 2 B5 S4 so Im not new to Audis. Im saying "Think out of the Box".

I and many others are not too happy that BMW is going FI on the next M3 and I am hoping Audi has the ***** to stick it out and make a better car. Competition is always good for us consumers if you're not a fanboy that can't look at other manufacturers.

I am personally not a fanboy of any brand and go where my needs are fulfilled. The M3 fulfills my need to have a performance car that I can drive daily and whip around the track with on weekends. The S4 fulfills my need to have a Quattro for winter with good performance.

It's not all about going fast in a straight line otherwise I wouldn't have bought an M3 and bought a 135 or 335 and and for 2 to 3 k of mods beat the M3 in a straight line.

Quick Reply: Interesting... C&D M3 vs. RS5 vs. CTS-V