S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Interesting... C&D M3 vs. RS5 vs. CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Something like BMW's 4.4L twin turbo V8 with around 550 hp would be nice, and would be enough to keep up with the CTS-V, M3 and upcoming M5. It isn't possible for a reasonably sized NA engine to keep up with those FI beasts.
That's a beautiful engine but I wouldn't want it in my M3. I would rather have a 3200 pound car with 400 hp on a NA engine.

The M3 is known for being a very capable track car that would just add more power with more weight.

I was taken for a spin at a local track with the Porsche Club president in his GT3 RS and he was telling me how he sold his GT2 to get the GT3 RS because the GT2 was not a good track car, The power was too much and non linear.

** again everyone before you all start attacking/flaming this is not an attack on Audi** This is my second S4 and I've driven my friends 2007 RS4 plenty of times. He was actually the one who pushed me to get the M3.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by M3 Montreal
LOL 9500 posts and you respond like a 10 year old.

Of course ...because one has more posts they are more educated right... lol

I was actually very happy when I heard the RS5 was going to be a NA engine. I like a good street car with very good track capabilities. This is why I have the M3. I dont want a FI engine as a track car due to maintenance and more importantly linear power... Nothing like accelerating out of an apex and having linear power. There is a reason why the GT3 RS is a better track car than the GT2...

If you track often enough you will know. Also... no mention about getting the car lighter your response is "Lets add more power"... If the RS is supposed to be a street/performance car it needs to get lighter. Losing the quattro will knock off about 200 pounds. (OMG this is an Audi forum and someone is mentioning that Audi make a performance car that is ONLY RWD! God forbid a manufacturer do something different!)

As far as knowing the Audi Brand I also had a stage 2 B5 S4 so Im not new to Audis. Im saying "Think out of the Box".

I and many others are not too happy that BMW is going FI on the next M3 and I am hoping Audi has the ***** to stick it out and make a better car. Competition is always good for us consumers if you're not a fanboy that can't look at other manufacturers.

I am personally not a fanboy of any brand and go where my needs are fulfilled. The M3 fulfills my need to have a performance car that I can drive daily and whip around the track with on weekends. The S4 fulfills my need to have a Quattro for winter with good performance.

It's not all about going fast in a straight line otherwise I wouldn't have bought an M3 and bought a 135 or 335 and and for 2 to 3 k of mods beat the M3 in a straight line.
Well said. I agree 100%, FI cars, especially turbos are very difficult to drive on the track. You're always playing catch up with the throttle depending on the boost.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dkang996
Well said. I agree 100%, FI cars, especially turbos are very difficult to drive on the track. You're always playing catch up with the throttle depending on the boost.
Funny, I could have sworn I said a supercharger (which has no lag and you can tune to give the power at the place in the RPM band you want it to start).
Old 07-25-2010, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Montreal
That's a beautiful engine but I wouldn't want it in my M3. I would rather have a 3200 pound car with 400 hp on a NA engine.
s

I think the problem is that Audi is quite a ways off from making a 3200 lb. car with adequate power. Audi is not supposed to introduce the weight-saving space frame until somewhere around 2014, so we are stuck with portly cars for the near future. Considering that the RS5 weighs nearly 4000 lb., the only way to give it adequate power to move that type of mass would be to add FI.

Moving to RWD to reduce weight is certainly an option, but Audi does seem to receptive to that approach. Excluding Lamborghini or Bentley, does the VW group currently have a RWD platform?
Old 07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 552 Likes on 372 Posts

^^^^
I meant to say that Audi does not seem receptive to moving to RWD in some applications.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My experience is that all FI engines (including eaton tvs supercharger) that I have driven gives me somewhat of an artificial throttle response. Depending on the rpm, there is either too much acc or not enough. Having said that, the S4 does behave very close to NA but still not as accurate as a NA engine. That's just my opinion, I prefer NA engine for pure driving pleasure. Don't get me wrong, I love this b8 S4, otherwise I wouldn't have bought one.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

not quite right M3 Canada guy. my point is that the only way that the RS5 can hang with the M3 or the CTS-V is with forced induction (FI) and AWD/sport diff. It is too porky of a car with the power of a 4.2L NA engine to do anything against the M3 or CTS-V. Too suggest that Audi should field a NA RWD car is asinine IMO. That is what set me off... I really don't care if you have 1 post or 25K posts...

My car only has two main purposes, it is my ski machine and my DD.

Bruce
Old 07-27-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another one from Motor Trend.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html
Old 07-27-2010, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think the RS5 review by C&D is consistent with their review of the S4 regarding steering satifaction with Sport Diff. "Dynamic mode was considered too quick and eager to bit into the corners. Comfort was light on center but when effort finally arrived , it came in too late and too abruptly. Auto mode put the steering somewhere between too fast and too artificial."

In my opinion AWD has advantages that RWD can't replicate and vice versa.

Last edited by Nicky_do_it; 07-27-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Couldn't Audi borrow some tech from the R8? Of course they could beat the M3 but at what cost..

Also am I reading this RS5 as a 2013 model?? Isn't it premature to be doing reviews in mid-2011 or what am I missing here? Is there still a chance the RS5 may be tweaked to come out on top?

Quick Reply: Interesting... C&D M3 vs. RS5 vs. CTS-V