S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Interesting thread from the S5 forum...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interesting thread from the S5 forum...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2786414

Here's the first post from that thread, rest you can read there...discuss!

Originally Posted by donaldp
I need someone to cheer me up regarding my findings from last night.

I test drove a new S4 to compare a non repaired new clutch to my repaired clutch in my 2010 S5 and was blown away with how much more fun the V6T is to drive than my V8. I have thought from day one that my S5 does not have the umph that a V8 should have in most of the RPM range. This S4 was exhilarating in every part of the RPM band. It was thrilling off the line and had way better throttle response than my S5. Red-line shifts threw me back in my seat in ways that the S5 cannot. The salesman let me take the car by myself so I could drive it as I pleased. The S4 had 900+ miles so I was not abusing someone else's future new car.

The numbers indicate the S5 should be more powerful, and maybe it is, but for driving fun, I have no doubts that the V6T wins hands down.

Who can tell me what I'm missing here? Is the S5 heavier, does it just feel slower? It seems to reason that if Audi is moving towards this engine, it must be better overall. Gas mileage ratings are 18 and 27 on the S4 vs 14 and 22 on the S5. No gas guzzler tax, more Mpg, more fun, upgradable. However, the V-8 music is lost. Seems the pros outweigh the cons here.

Oh yeah, the clutch was almost 100% vibration free compared to my sticky clutch TSB repair which now does not stick but has plenty of vibration.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that. I test drove S5 and S4 both and thought S5 didn't have any real oomph. And I didn't think exhaust was anything special neither... Kind of underachieving V8 for a car that price.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed! Good post, zerinTT! I'm a little worried that you're posting so early on Saturday morning, though. Didn't you go out last night?

But, back to the thread: The S5 is more of a "Grand Tourer" as one the S5 posters said. It's also more of a "look at me" & "listen to me" car, esp. in the cab version.

On the other hand, the S4 is a pure driver. The way the it drives, I would prefer a stripper S4 to a loaded *anything else* - esp. when you consider cost!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My body clock is trained for weekday morning 5am wakeups...If I make it to 6:30am on weekends I'm lucky

Originally Posted by drrick89
Agreed! Good post, zerinTT! I'm a little worried that you're posting so early on Saturday morning, though. Didn't you go out last night?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

agree absoluely. Owned an S5 for 1.5 years--currently own an S4, going on 10 months.

The S5 is a great car-no doubt. I too was somewhat befuddled by the lack of oomph felt when driving it. Don't get me wrong, it is quick, but for some reason the push in the back felt less than expected.

As the thread poster stated too, the sound is great. I know it is "part" of the driving experience, it is not enough, for me, to overcome the performance the V6T gives.

I would give the nod to the S5 for looks, but the S4 is not far behind. To me, it is a sharp, classy setup, with sneaky power.

Absolutely no regrets owning an S4 over an S5.

However, when the S5 gets the V6T in the coupe in my2012 (with possible facelift), this might be a game-changer for me...
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never drove an S5 but owned a B6 S4. The motor and gearing for that car were just not an exhilarating package. Can't belive the S5 would be much different. On the other hand, Audi has hit a home run with the engine and drive components on the B8.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by drrick89
esp. in the cab version.
FYI....cab version comes with the same drivetrain we have in the S4...
Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove an S5. It truly is a great, relaxed grand tourer.

The exhaust note is fantastic and easily beats our V6T. S5 also easily beats the S4 in looks, not that the S4 isn't amazing looking, but just that the S5 is absolutely one of the most beautiful cars on the road anywhere!

However, the driving dynamics of the S4 beats the S5 easily in my opinion. The S5 felt sluggish and heavy by comparison (not that it's actually slow... it just feels like it).
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
FYI....cab version comes with the same drivetrain we have in the S4...
Oops, has the supercharged V6, but is even more than a porker at 4300 lbs base curb weight. Forgot about that!

Last edited by drrick89; 07-10-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yea I agree that the V6 is an incredible engine. When I ordered my car I actually test drove a 2008 S4 with the V8 and even though it had a 340hp engine I honestly thought that the pull in the seat felt less then what I got from my APR tuned 1.8T jetta, strange.

Quick Reply: Interesting thread from the S5 forum...