S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

interior design quirks

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1.

Hate to say it, but there are some pretty weak excuses of complaints... like "having to reach way around...."

... what... reach an extra 1 foot? Give the thumbwheel a workout. Audi did design a solution that adapted ergonomics to make life simpler. It's a shame someone does not want to use it and then complain that humans have to adapt to the design...

Please......
Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Coming from a Japanese car ('06 TL 6MT) with sensible ergonomics, the B8 S4 has a couple interior details I'm struggling to understand. I also have an '08 C300 with a few of these quirks, but not as many.

1) Why is there an air vent next to the shifter?

2) Why is the volume control on the right side of the steering wheel? makes little sense esp for manual transmission drivers.

3) Why is leather an option now, whereas before alcantara was the option? I guess Audi realized leather is more popular, and is trying to milk more from us.

4) Why no traditional parking brake? It's cooler to pull a big lever for drifting maneuvers

5) Why does the dash look like it was lifted from a 92-96 Camry?

I won't mention the plasticky silver gauge surround since that topic's already been beaten to death. I really want to like this car over the previous model, but can't see myself getting used to the interior, which seems like a huge downgrade from my TL and previous S4.
1) I don't think that's an air vent.
2) What difference does it make which control goes on which side of the steering wheel? If one is not able to use it while shifting, it makes no difference what the button's function is. It's either accessable or not. If the station switching button was located there, you'd have the same problem. This question is a non-issue.
3) I thought leather was standard in the A4. Or even if it's fake leather, it's more durable than some real leathers. I've had them all, and the fake Audi leather took the longest to crack and soil.
4) Uhhh... the average buyer does not do power slides with the parking brake. This is rediculous. Why don't they add a parachute option...
Seriously, Audi is a leader here and you'll see more and more car manufacturers get rid of a parking brake lever. It frees up precious console space and looks far cleaner than having another "stick" jutting out.
5) I am with you on this. I think the B8's dash design is a step backward in time. But rather than the older Camry, I'd say it's thick vertical rim on both sides is straight off a 70's Ford LTD Country Squire wagon. And many '80's Buicks had a similar, all consuming and thick-rimmed dash. Hope Audi dumps this style for the B9. Or a shrunken down version of the A8 would have been nifty.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I like how most of you have no idea how the cars interior is really designed..

The reason why the volume control is on that side is for the passenger to be able to play with the controls where all the fancy buttons are...

The driver uses the wheel to be able to switch up volume, and all that kewl stuff

LOGIC RULES

PAYCE
Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jimf15e
And 'coin holder' is really another term for 'parking brake place holder for LHD market cars.' You know it's true.
Mystery solved :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure improving ergonomics means not the human adapting to the design but the design making life easier for the human.
Bingo It's like there was no budget for the interior.

Originally Posted by WatchNut
What is so difficult about rolling the little wheel with your right thumb?
Because the left hand has fewer things to do? For manual drivers at least...

Originally Posted by SFV A4
I'd say it's thick vertical rim on both sides is straight off a 70's Ford LTD Country Squire wagon. Hope Audi dumps this style for the B9. Or a shrunken down version of the A8 would have been nifty.
I thought my Camry comparison was harsh A mini A8 look would be nice for the 2012 refresh, but probably wishful thinking

Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'm a little biased (coming from BMW), but I think that the steering wheel volume control on my A4 is on the wrong side. Since the left arm spends more time on the wheel, it would be more ergonomic to have the volume roller on the left. I don't know about you, but I tend to use volume control more than flipping through radio stations or songs. Speaking of ergonomics, another thing that is wrong IMO is the + and - on the auto trans shift lever. I believe Audi is the only manufacturer whose lever has to be pushed forward to upshift.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Maybe I'm a little biased (coming from BMW), but I think that the steering wheel volume control on my A4 is on the wrong side. Since the left arm spends more time on the wheel, it would be more ergonomic to have the volume roller on the left. I don't know about you, but I tend to use volume control more than flipping through radio stations or songs. Speaking of ergonomics, another thing that is wrong IMO is the + and - on the auto trans shift lever. I believe Audi is the only manufacturer whose lever has to be pushed forward to upshift.
Interesting - I have RHD vehicle (inversely right hand spends most time on the wheel) and the volume roller is on right. Whatever ergonomic decision criteria was used to decide which sides of wheel the volume roller went, it seems it was decided there would be one layout applicable to both RHD & LHD vehicles. Cost cutting??
Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It makes sense to me as others have said to put the volume **** on the right side of the shifter to allow the passenger to control the volume without getting their hand in the way of the driver controls. Also, my hand seems to fall more naturally to that side of the shifter as opposed to the left.

Having the volume roller on the right side is something I've gotten used to since I've had an A3 before the S4 and the volume roller was on the same side there. It makes sense to me, however, since i don't really change the volume too often, and when I do, it only takes a second to change the volume, so my right hand doesn't need to stay on the wheel for very long anyway.

My left hand stays permanently on the wheel and it also takes more time when changing radio stations, etc., so it makes sense to have the mode roller on the left.

Yeah, the coin slot thingy is an afterthought, IMO. Totally useless since I use my ashtray as a coin holder.

About the 3-series interior... I've always felt that it was BMW's biggest fault in the car. From a design perspective, I've always thought of it as being too utilitarian and quite ugly. Ergonomic, yes.... but plain and spartan. It was a deal breaker for me and my wife. She couldn't bear the thought of riding in the Bimmer's interior.

Audi's interior design makes some compromises to allow for aesthetics. Since I have to look at the interior every time I drive, I find it nice that it's attractive. Everyone else whose been in the car says the same.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think the OP is saying it's difficult but why not move it to the appropriate side for the market like they do with the coin holder. It may not be difficult to use it on the right side but if you don't think it would be easier to use if it was on the left of the shifter then I may have to use the F*nb*y term on you.
He's talking about the volume controller on the steering wheel, I believe.

If we used watchnut's argument then we'd say 'what's so hard about moving an armrest out of the way to use a cupholder? Isn't it normal to block access to a feature of the vehicle??'
Please...I said nothing of the sort. Don't put words in my mouth. I asked a question. That's all.

Originally Posted by SFV A4
4) Uhhh... the average buyer does not do power slides with the parking brake. This is rediculous. Why don't they add a parachute option...
LOL

Originally Posted by silverTL6
Because the left hand has fewer things to do? For manual drivers at least...
I completely understand that. You didn't answer my question though. How often do you find yourself needing to change the volume on the stereo so immediately that you cannot wait a second or two for your hand to return to the steering wheel?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McGriddle
About the 3-series interior... I've always felt that it was BMW's biggest fault in the car. From a design perspective, I've always thought of it as being too utilitarian and quite ugly. Ergonomic, yes.... but plain and spartan. It was a deal breaker for me and my wife. She couldn't bear the thought of riding in the Bimmer's interior.
It was the same for me. Those were my exact thoughts on the BMW interior. No matter how well the car drove, I couldn't imagine living with the interior day-in, day-out.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe I am biased but I think the interior overall is gorgeous. If I had to nitpick it would be the passenger airbag light and the silver plastic dash. Sat in a friends new 5 series, he and I both agreed the Audi interior was much better.

Call me strange but I am sitting in the car right now listening to the B&0 system! My wife said I should just move into the garage, she doesn't get it. Hmmm the seats are pretty confortable reclined all the way back.....

A new car is like a new lover....... you need to explore all the buttons and contours......

Quick Reply: interior design quirks