S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Interior panels scratch too easily?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior panels scratch too easily?

I've had my car for a month now. I have the Prestige Package so I rarely if ever take out my keys in the car.

I've noticed two significant scratches on the instrument cluster already. One next to the MMI **** and one by the cigarette (should be an option for just a storage bin there) lighter.

I'm really not even sure what caused them. Perhaps a button on a sleeve or maybe the vacuum nozzle (use the one at Barrier Audi in Bellevue, WA).

The parts manager said it's possible these could be covered under the first year warranty or might be able to be polished/waxed out. I'm hoping so. Going to have that looked at during 5k service.

I'm a bit concerned that given no keys around the panels and rarely if ever touched by anothing solid that there is any scratching only a month in.

Anyone else experience this and/or find a resolution to the problem?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you trimmed you fingernails recently? I've had no problems but don't have Nav. In fact, I painted the trim around the instument panel black and it is holding up well. Prem+ with key.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you mean on the piano black area, yes that is prone to easily showing scratches, otherwise no issues here.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
If you mean on the piano black area, yes that is prone to easily showing scratches, otherwise no issues here.
Isn't the piano black available only with the stainless steel inlays? I have the piano black, and while I haven't had any issues with scratches, it does pick up finger prints easily.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed some wear areas in mine as well next to the gearshift that is the fake aluminum trim. A couple deep gouges. Very cheap trim. I doubt Audi would consider this wear and tear. Let me know hoe you make out with your dealer.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by clochner
Isn't the piano black available only with the stainless steel inlays? I have the piano black, and while I haven't had any issues with scratches, it does pick up finger prints easily.
The piano black around the MMI controls is standard on all S4's. I have it with Gray Brich inlays, and it's prone to showing all sorts of dirt, abbrasions, scratches, fingerprints, you name it.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
The piano black around the MMI controls is standard on all S4's. I have it with Gray Brich inlays, and it's prone to showing all sorts of dirt, abbrasions, scratches, fingerprints, you name it.
Yeah, the worse of the two is in the piano black area. The other one is on the matte black.

I have the standard brushed aluminum.

I bite my fingernails (gross i know) so that isn't it
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Noticed this as well have some scratches on the black areas, very minor but there.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zillmc
Noticed this as well have some scratches on the black areas, very minor but there.
My black areas are fine, it is the plastic aluminum trim near the shifter which has a couple gouges.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

My piano gloss area seems still in good shape. Its the carbon fiber inserts that seem to get beat up easily. I have a scratch or scrape on nearly every panel in the car. Dont know how they get there as Im **** about cleaning the car regularly and the like. Oh well, its just a lease.

Quick Reply: Interior panels scratch too easily?