S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

iPhone interface question with MMI

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone interface question with MMI

I asked this question in the A4 forum but didn't get any useful responses.

With the 3G MMI if I plug my iPhone in to the cable in the glovebox can I control any playback features from the iPhone itself or must all playback control be initiated from the MMI interface?

In other words, if I choose a playlist or want to skip a track from the iPhone will it work?

If I use an application on the phone that has audio (such as Pandora or my own Nav app) will the audio come through the system?

Whenever we are in the car (I have an aftermarket ipod solution in my current ride) my wife likes to connect her iphone to the stereo to listen to it, change tracks, etc.

I'm worried that when she sees how complicated and how much of a hassle it is to hook up her phone to the new car she is going to try to veto it based on that fact alone!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The iPhone connector in the glovebox is short (like only 8 inches) and won't let you control it very easily assuming you could. The MMI controller is easy to use and you use it just like you would use the clickwheel of a normal ipod. It's very intuitive and natural for ipod functions. My wife uses it all the time using the MMI while i the passenger seat.

I have no idea about using other apps like Pandora with the iPhone while connected to the AMI, though.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've been doing some investigation on this and it seems as though the answer to my question is probably "no". In that, you cannot play audio directly from the device or control playback when it is connected via the iPod interface.

It seems as though my best option might simply be to buy a 2nd hand iPod, put both of our music on it and then hook that up and leave it in the car, updating the library on it when necessary.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
The iPhone connector in the glovebox is short (like only 8 inches) and won't let you control it very easily assuming you could. The MMI controller is easy to use and you use it just like you would use the clickwheel of a normal ipod. It's very intuitive and natural for ipod functions. My wife uses it all the time using the MMI while i the passenger seat.

I have no idea about using other apps like Pandora with the iPhone while connected to the AMI, though.
You make a valid point. I was planning on using a dock extension cable though and routing it out into the passenger compartment.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Tim
AudiWorld Member

Whenever you connect an iPod to the built in system on most cars, the s/w is taken over by the car (if you are using the iPod dock connector). You can't control anything on the iPod until you remove the cable.

I'm not sure how the iPhone works however. When I tried my iPod and iPhone in the dealer car, I was listening to music on my iPod and only used the iPhone over bluetooth to access the address book and dialing, which is what I plan to do with my car.

Both worked great, by the way.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tim
Whenever you connect an iPod to the built in system on most cars, the s/w is taken over by the car (if you are using the iPod dock connector). You can't control anything on the iPod until you remove the cable.

I'm not sure how the iPhone works however. When I tried my iPod and iPhone in the dealer car, I was listening to music on my iPod and only used the iPhone over bluetooth to access the address book and dialing, which is what I plan to do with my car.

Both worked great, by the way.
Ultimately this is probably what I will do. I will get a beat up iPod video to throw in the glove box and put both of our music collections on it, and just bluetooth link the phone to the car.

Now I just have to wonder if there's any chance that the new MMI in the Audi A8 makes it into the S4 in the next 12 months.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by canyoncarver
Ultimately this is probably what I will do. I will get a beat up iPod video to throw in the glove box and put both of our music collections on it, and just bluetooth link the phone to the car.

Now I just have to wonder if there's any chance that the new MMI in the Audi A8 makes it into the S4 in the next 12 months.
You could buy two SDHC cards for the two media slots and put all your music on them. Control would be through the MMI jog dial.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You could also attach USB key loaded with music to AMI interface
Old 12-22-2009, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

All of my playlists are managed via iTunes dynamically, so ultimately an iPod will be easier but I appreciate the input.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

On the MINI Cooper, the Ipod playlists have to be labeled MINI1, MINI2, etc. Is this true on Audis? Must the playlists have a special name to work?

Quick Reply: iPhone interface question with MMI