S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

iPod, sudden volume increase in last second or so of the song?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod, sudden volume increase in last second or so of the song?!

Hey folks,
am obviously loving my new S4, but have one issue.

The B&O is fantastic, i love it! But, with my iPod it seems at the end of a song, like in the last second, suddenly the volume bumps up quite a bit before it goes in the next song.

It's mostly noticeable on live CDs where one track is supposed to transfer seamlessly to the next, and it does, except for a quite significant and sudden bump in volume.

Does anyone have a clue what this is? I thought it might have something to do with the in car entertainment fader but havent been able to work it out yet.

Also I havent tried yet with an actual CD, I guess I'll do that in a little bit.

If this has happened to someone before and fixed, plz let me know. If I fix it myself I'll also post. Maybe I'll try resetting the thing back to defaults.

BTW when connecting the ipod to a normal stereo and playing it doesn't happen.

thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Honestly I have no idea because I don't have the car yet, but does B&O have a level normalization feature? Something that keeps the audio level even between transitions and inputs. Probably a terrible description, but a lot of TV's have an option that keeps the sound level the same between, say, TV shows and commercials. You know how commercials are usually WAY louder than a TV show? Sometimes radio commercials are the same.

Or not...

- Jeremy -
Old 12-23-2009, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

does the volume increase if you are listening to the music through headphones?

Maybe you're not hearing it through the stereo as much due to the ambience?

What generation IPod do you have?

does someone else you know have an Ipod to hook up to your car to see if it does the same?

just some thoughts on how to possibly narrow down the issue.....
Old 12-23-2009, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tomcat84
Hey folks,
am obviously loving my new S4, but have one issue.

The B&O is fantastic, i love it! But, with my iPod it seems at the end of a song, like in the last second, suddenly the volume bumps up quite a bit before it goes in the next song.

It's mostly noticeable on live CDs where one track is supposed to transfer seamlessly to the next, and it does, except for a quite significant and sudden bump in volume.

Does anyone have a clue what this is? I thought it might have something to do with the in car entertainment fader but havent been able to work it out yet.

Also I havent tried yet with an actual CD, I guess I'll do that in a little bit.

If this has happened to someone before and fixed, plz let me know. If I fix it myself I'll also post. Maybe I'll try resetting the thing back to defaults.

BTW when connecting the ipod to a normal stereo and playing it doesn't happen.

thanks!
Sorry ... can't help you with that one. I've never had that happen to me.

However, the SiriusXM seems to have crap reception. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm out in the open, driving under an overpass, or through a wooded area. It will cut out for a second or two from time to time. On a 30-minute drive, I'd say it'll happen 3-6 times. I'm usually listening to my iPod, so I haven't thought *too* much of it, but it's damn irritating when it happens!
Old 02-05-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

So this is an Oooooooold post, but I have the -same- problem.

I'm listening to my iPod on mix, and as soon as I select a new song, the volume will occasionally ramp way up or way down, and the next song is at that changed volume. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I tried turning GALA off (that's the volume normalization system, right?) to no avail. i'll try sound check on my ipod tomorrow, but I'm doubtful that will work.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Excelsior7
So this is an Oooooooold post, but I have the -same- problem.

I'm listening to my iPod on mix, and as soon as I select a new song, the volume will occasionally ramp way up or way down, and the next song is at that changed volume. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I tried turning GALA off (that's the volume normalization system, right?) to no avail. i'll try sound check on my ipod tomorrow, but I'm doubtful that will work.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Same issue here. Turning up the input volume for the media source helps eliminate the issue.

Give it a shot.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had the same issue with my 2011 S4. It is most noticeable when listening to an ipod, with the manual screen up and shuffle selected. When I use the next track arrow button located left of the return button, I notice a significant increase in volume before the ipod switches to the next random track.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my 2010 S4 for over a year now with B&O and listen to the ipod all the time. Have never heard this one. The volume is always fine. I always select the songs myself and don't use random so perhaps that is a difference.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gwalt3
I've had the same issue with my 2011 S4. It is most noticeable when listening to an ipod, with the manual screen up and shuffle selected. When I use the next track arrow button located left of the return button, I notice a significant increase in volume before the ipod switches to the next random track.
Yeah, this is the only time it happens to me... when I'm skipping through songs on shuffle.... it also only started happening when I bought my new ipod nano. It never happened on my old ipod.

I'll try turning up the volume on the ipod and see if theres a difference.... although it doesn't really bother me that much... doesn't happen all the time and it's only a split second of volume increase.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Yeah, this is the only time it happens to me... when I'm skipping through songs on shuffle.... it also only started happening when I bought my new ipod nano. It never happened on my old ipod.

I'll try turning up the volume on the ipod and see if theres a difference.... although it doesn't really bother me that much... doesn't happen all the time and it's only a split second of volume increase.
Tried turning volume up on ipod, tried turning sound check on on ipod. No change.

I could live with a small spike in volume, but whatever song I've selected Is also at that very-loud volume.

The only consistent thing is it seems to happen to everybody when they're manually selecting another song in mix mode.

Quick Reply: iPod, sudden volume increase in last second or so of the song?!