S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

It's official: Comfort mode = worst mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See sig for my fuelly stats. you should generally get 1-2 mpg more in summer.

Last edited by FatalBert; 07-14-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
What's the octane rating on the gas you use, and how much corn squeezins (ethanol) is in it? Just curious.

Also, I never hear anybody note that they're running the AC during these discussions. I feel pretty sure that throws off efficiency significantly. You noted it was 105F, so I figure I could guess that answer.
It's 91 octane. I think ethanol is only in winter gas around these parts, which goes from November through March if I recall. But there's never-ending legislation proposed by ethanol lobbyists and oil industry lobbyists and MTBE lobbyists and environmental lobbyists, so I don't pay that much attention. Nothing practical that can be done about it.

Here's a map of summer blends in different areas of the US: http://blog.gasbuddy.com/blogpostv2....stid=523&ign=2

I generally buy Chevron, which used MTBE for the winter gas, but I think that got banned and is now ethanol in the winter.

To the other part of your comment, yep the higher AC load is what I was referring to. Not sure of the impact, summer vs winter, but it's probably in the 1-2 mpg range. Going a full tank without AC in the summer, to check the mpg difference, is not an experiment I am willing to do.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tend to get the best gas mileage when it's warm out (85°-90°F) but not scorching hot. Car doesn't spend very long getting to operating temps which is a huge waste of gas. I'm not sure if this statement is truly valid but I believe (from experience) the car gets way worse gas mileage getting to operating temp than it does using the A/C, that's why you typically will get better gas mileage in the warmer months, compared to colder months.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 396ci
I tend to get the best gas mileage when it's warm out (85°-90°F) but not scorching hot. Car doesn't spend very long getting to operating temps which is a huge waste of gas. I'm not sure if this statement is truly valid but I believe (from experience) the car gets way worse gas mileage getting to operating temp than it does using the A/C, that's why you typically will get better gas mileage in the warmer months, compared to colder months.
I also meant to ask how long your commute is... if it is short, this could explain your terrible gas mileage.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EF99
I think ethanol is only in winter gas around these parts, which goes from November through March if I recall. But there's never-ending legislation proposed by ethanol lobbyists and oil industry lobbyists and MTBE lobbyists and environmental lobbyists, so I don't pay that much attention. Nothing practical that can be done about it.
Corn oil is in gas on a year round basis; generally in the 10% blend. That said, winter gas is worse for mileage as is the prolonged warm up which runs the engine rucher.....longer. There are a few pure gas sites around here but I am hesitant to use unbranded gas.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Since I get crummy mileage due to all city driving, I thought I'd see what driving a whole tank in comfort mode would do for mileage (currently at about 2000 miles on the odometer, so for those that say mileage improves after the break-in period...Nope. Not for me anyway)

Comfort mode resulted in my worst mileage yet! 13.7 mpg

My overall average is 15.1 mpg, best ever was 16.0, and worst prior to this was 14.6.

PS I think I deserve a medal for the restraint exercised in driving a whole tank in comfort mode But I'm glad to have some data to show there's no good reason to ever put it in comfort mode.
Don't feel bad, I live in NYC and do all city driving with my 6MT and I've never done better than 17-18 MPG. I have about 3,300 miles on the car and drive mostly in Auto, regardless of the driving mode I'm convinced this car gets crappy gas mileage overall. I've tried driving like grandma in comfort mode shifting at 2k RPMs and honestly, it sucks. That being said, this is why most ppl get crappy gas mileage. Welcome to the club!! lol
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I get 20 mpg around town (Not NYC) and about 26 or so on the road. This is despite of mostly extra legal speeds! 6MT trans.