S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

JHM Shifter Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JHM Shifter Question

I am thinking of adding the short throw shifter to my list of mods. Have seen a few threads about a scraping sound when putting in reverse and some funny shifting problems in a few posts. I have watched the install video and am wondering from someone who actually did the install how hard or easy it actually was. I have visions of putting it in myself, not being able to get it into gear and then having it towed somewhere to be fixed. Any advice appreciated, maybe I should just hava a pro do it? I have done lots of work on cars, but have never touched the shift linkage or transmission. Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm planning on the JHM as well. From the research I've done it looks pretty straight forward. Not saying 'easy' because it does require precise alignment to work right.
If you allow yourself a few hours to fine tune your work it shouldn't be that bad.

For what it's worth - it looks way easier than shifter mods I performed on Subarus. And I did those back when I was a mod noob... still managed to get everything working properly.

Tip for the trim removal - buy a decent sent of non-marring trim tools. They're made out of a hard plastic and won't chew up your center console. I've learned that lesson the hard way. The right tools work WAY better than a flathead screw driver with electrical tape on the blade.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had mine installed by a professional mod shop yesterday. It took about 1.5 hours and cost me about $100. I don't want to be spending anyone else's money, but it was short bucks to assure a professional install and no damage to the interior.

btw, imo, it's an absolutely essential mod. It's transformed the car from good to GREAT for me.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
I had mine installed by a professional mod shop yesterday. It took about 1.5 hours and cost me about $100. I don't want to be spending anyone else's money, but it was short bucks to assure a professional install and no damage to the interior.

btw, imo, it's an absolutely essential mod. It's transformed the car from good to GREAT for me.
thanks for the info, I'll probably do the same.