S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Lack of Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of Customer Service

OK....this is going to be lengthy, but will try to be as succinct as possible.

Had been looking at S4s since last year (leftover '11s, '12s, and now, '13s). Local dealers (both of them) rarely had stock, and when they did, the colors weren't to my liking (Red, Black, White were my preferences).

Fast forward to a month ago. I started looking in earnest, yet again. Went to a local dealer who had a dark blue metallic one which I wanted. On top of that, it was the first, and at the time the only '13 in the city. But, he was sticking to MSRP. I'm not going to beg anyone to work with me.

Expanding my search, wondering if another deal was possible, I did a search in a 250 mile radius. That led me to a dealer in Chicago (a 5 hour drive for me). He had 4 of them.....2-'12 Prestige and 2-'13 Premium Plus, White and Black.

We negotiated over the phone and came to what I thought was a great deal (MSRP less $3K). I gave him my AMEX for a deposit and told him I'd be there first thing the next Saturday. I drove to Chicago after work on Friday, spent the night in the Windy City. Was at the dealership early Saturday a.m. when they opened. Both S4s were sitting in front, the white one and the black one.

We made the deal as we'd agreed upon on the phone and in the emails. I picked the black one. I inspected it thoroughly and it was perfect.

I headed for home. On the interstate, I noticed that the car pulled a bit, it wandered, and the steering wheel was "twitchy". I also noticed that the MMI was having problems playing CDs (skipping sometimes, emitting only white noise sometimes, not reading them at all sometimes, etc). I also noticed that the MMI paired with my iPhone4s, and played music through the B&O. But, after I made a stop for gas and dinner, it was still paired, but wouldn't play music as it did before.

I made an appointment with the local dealership who would wouldn't budge on price. They said they couldn't find anything wrong, even though I took a tech out with me to show him how the steering and handling was affected, and the problems with MMI. They also said the MMI issue was expensive (it's under warranty, why do I need to hear that?), and that they needed to make sure Audi would send the whole unit to them. They said their shop foreman was out of town and he'd have to contact Audi for the repair. I never heard back from that dealership.

I then made an appt with the other Audi dealership, and pretty much had the same results, except they said the wheels had had some sort of impact that caused some minor cracking (remember, I already gave the car a thorough inspection...there were no cracks in the wheels). And, I'm the only person who has driven the car. I haven't curbed it, nor hit anything. Plus, the car has been garaged since I brought it home.

I called the dealer I bought it from. They immediately told me to go buy new tires after hearing my description, and to send them the bill. I did. They sent me a check (to the tune of $1,200+). I thought tht was quite generous of them. That alleviated part of the steering issue, but not the cracking (and now flaking) wheels, nor the MMI issue.

I called Customer Service. They contacted both local dealers, who told them the wheel issues were caused by some sort of curbing or wreck or hit to them. And, that the MMI worked.

Steaming, I made a video of the MMI's issues, and took pics of the wheels and overhignted them to Audi corporate in Herndon, VA to Mr Scott Keogh, Pres of Audi US with an explanation.

That was a week ago, with no response....not a peep!

I suspect the local dealers may be POd because I didn't buy the car from them.

Am I asking too much? I'm coming from a BMW, who bent over backwards to make me happy. Audi, so far, acts like they couldn't car less.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your problems. The scenario you're encountering is exactly why I wanted to buy my S4 locally.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sorry to hear... my S4 buying experience was excellent! ordered the exact one I wanted from a local dealership.

I would suggest to try running music off an SD card instead of using CD.

Bruce
Old 07-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Try the SD card. The Bluetooth in every car I have ever owned has always had problems...its the technology. I think that if you would probably have the same MMI issues in any S4.

Totally sucks about the wheels....can u make a service appointment with the dealer you bought it from and just leave it with them to fix?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You computer nerd types/techies crck me up.....use the CD player man.....
The steering thngs sucks though! On a brand new car??? Was this new or pre-owned? How could it go out th edorr with a steering shimmy? odd.
As for the MMI crap,these "problems" are why I buy a CAR as a CAR ad not a COMPUTER... I thankfully got the 6MT with no MMI...2 less "computers" to crap out and ruin my "CAR". I am oldschool,when you bought a car for what is "under the hood"not what techno-geek gadgets are in it.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT

I LOL
Old 07-13-2012, 12:37 PM
riu
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
The steering thngs sucks though! On a brand new car??? Was this new or pre-owned? How could it go out th edorr with a steering shimmy? odd.
As for the MMI crap,these "problems" are why I buy a CAR as a CAR ad not a COMPUTER... I thankfully got the 6MT with no MMI...2 less "computers" to crap out and ruin my "CAR". I am oldschool,when you bought a car for what is "under the hood"not what techno-geek gadgets are in it.
I laughed at this. You should take the radio and A/C out of your car as well. And unplug the heated seats and ABS.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Which dealer did you buy it from in Chicago?
Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heated seats? I don't think I have those,if I do,I don't know it...ABS....pffft that is for people that follow other cars too closely!!
When you open the glovebx,they have a "cable" to plug into some new fangled music holding device,as well as a "clip" that holds said device in place. Well I use that clip to hold a tiny paper notebook that I write in (with a ball point pen) when & what services are performed on the car.
Yes,I have a Rolodex,and it is made out of paper & plastic.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
Which dealer did you buy it from in Chicago?
Westmont Audi. They've been great. The two local dealers, The Audi Connection and Beechmont Audi are doing their best Monkey Impressions of "Hear no Evil, See no Evil, Speak no Evil".

Audi Customer Relations says they support their dealers.

As I told them, clearly this leaves their customer out in the cold.

Personally, if MMI doesn't work correctly, they should fix it, regardless of the cost. It's a new car. It's under warranty 'fercrisake".

The local dealers seem to want to fight me and ignore me, rather than to do the repair. I can only assume the only reason was we didn't buy it from the local guys (who really were trying to rape me with their "nobody will sell you an S4 at a discount" routine).

Aside from going out of pocket to get the wheels and MMI fixed, I'm stuck with probably taking a hit and trading it. Probably go back to BMW....order a 2013 335i xDrive.

What a load a crap. I'm going to take a huge hit because of Audi.

Quick Reply: Lack of Customer Service