S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Latest mod...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:27 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akrion
I have MORR on order (19lbs per wheel) so I expect good gains just from that. With the JHM rotors and the Braille 21lbs battery I expect more than 75lbs+ weight loss.
Once all is set and installed I will hit the drag strip and see what happens  The only problem is I am in FL and the weather here currently is as you would imagine … not what the doctor prescribed 

As far as mods are concerned I am only missing the headers but as of now not seriously considering them due to the extra sound I will have to deal with … I do think my Resonated AWE is perfect as it is.

Looking forward to the pics!
did you already buy the Braille battery? It's a kind of expensive rebranded version of the generic brand the company that makes it sells. They have a deal with Braille that they won't market their battery to automotive companies, but they sell the same batteries for other applications (watercraft, off road machines etc.).

They're called WEST something. Can't remember. It's like $80 vs. $220.

edit: remembered. East Penn is the company and they make DEKA and BRAILLE and a few others. I asked someone who worked at East Penn what the difference between the similar DEKA and BRAILLE batteries was and he said 'the terminals and sticker on the battery'.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
did you already buy the Braille battery? It's a kind of expensive rebranded version of the generic brand the company that makes it sells. They have a deal with Braille that they won't market their battery to automotive companies, but they sell the same batteries for other applications (watercraft, off road machines etc.).

edit: remembered. East Penn is the company and they make DEKA and BRAILLE and a few others. I asked someone who worked at East Penn what the difference between the similar DEKA and BRAILLE batteries was and he said 'the terminals and sticker on the battery'.
Nope, not yet. I had it scheduled for next few months ... I will try to research the info you mentioned. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Ron,

After everything else that i am doing to the car, i do not think i will make it this weekend anyway. I am going to wait till the next weekend when some of my other friends will be heading up with me. i also figure i will give the new parts some run in time before i run them hard!

anyway, i assume i will see you the following weekend then. Should be an interesting showdown lol
Old 08-16-2012, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano

This is true... A few years back I attended a CMC course with the controller at one of the distribution centres for East Penn. He told me that they are one of the largest battery manufacturers in the world and supply batteries for most of the major auto brands.

I should give him a call and see if we could workout a group buy! lol!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 81bear
This is true... A few years back I attended a CMC course with the controller at one of the distribution centres for East Penn. He told me that they are one of the largest battery manufacturers in the world and supply batteries for most of the major auto brands.

I should give him a call and see if we could workout a group buy! lol!
Im in for GB
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Group buy would definitely interest me as well. Im already saving roughly 8lbs per wheel but would love more where I can.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

bear, I would be in on a group buy for the lw battery... see if you can set it up... If so I can get my brother to make a bracket to hold it in place for a fair price... I do worry about these batteries and the amount of power our cars draw, especially given mine died even being disconnected, last winter... I would probably just leave the car on a trickle charger since I only drive it a few times a week...
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Guys,

To be completely honest the group buy comment was more of a joke than anything else but after re-reading my post I can see how it could have been taken in earnest.

However, I have been meaning to speak with the head of operations about their purchasing practices so there maybe some opportunity to reconnect with East Penn on a business level. If we do go that route I will definitely bring it up to my contact at East Penn.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did some searching few days ago and I did not find an easy way to purchase directly from that manufacturer. I assume that is on purpose.

Braille 21lbs is the one I have in mind but since no one has "experimented" with those I am still not 100%. 30lbs in weight savings sound great but the car leaving me on the road with dead battery would really make me question my decision.

Those of you with key-less entry I do think should really reconsider. As far as I am aware there are few systems that run almost all the time when the car is off and the key-less entry is one of them.

I do not have that system, I also do not have navigation or extra sound system stuff. So I do feel like a good candidate for this "experiment" ... will re-think again when my wheels, rotors etc. arrive.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Pics of the brakes on the car... Had to delete the spacers and change bolts... Not a biggie... 17.2 stock - 11.6 = 5.6lbs savings... Comments/Questions let me know...
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Latest mod...