S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Leaking coolant, possible damage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking coolant, possible damage?

Hey guys,

Something's bugging me with my S4.
It is a 2012 and it's leaking engine coolant.
Some history: yesterday in a parking lot (can see where this is going) some great person rubbed their car and dented in my fender and bumper. Does not at all look like a hit but definitely got on my nerves. I got over it and will take it to a body shop. However, this morning I discovered that my coolant was leaking as per message in the car. The coolant was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom, almost all of it leaked out. I scoured to check and re-check every under the hood and I think I see where the leak is coming from as there are a few drops on the hose at the bottom of the coolant tank. I thought maybe it was a coincidence but when I returned to the parking lot there was a small coolant puddle.
It puzzled me as I checked and rechecked and did not see any damage whatsoever to any hoses, tanks, etc. The dent did not go past the headlight, if that is any indication but went far enough that you can see about 1 inch of a tire when wheels are straight. I doubt that Audi would house any pumps so close to the pumper/light/tire area.
Went through a couple of forums, saw that some older models, like 2011 had coolant leak problems but usually after there was work done. I did not experience any leaks since I got the car about 2,000 KM ago (approx 1200 miles). Definitely taking the car to a mechanic but wanted to see if anyone has any idea or experience with this.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impact possibly damaged either the main radiator or the IC radiator. Or the IC radiator could have been damaged by road debris . Very common issue with these cars
Old 12-06-2014, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Touche, I wonder if you are right. Again, I am going to be very surprised if that got affected cause it does not look extensive at all but I will see where he IC rad is and run the lines and check the rad it self. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AmounRah
Touche, I wonder if you are right. Again, I am going to be very surprised if that got affected cause it does not look extensive at all but I will see where he IC rad is and run the lines and check the rad it self. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
My bad for lack of editing skills, not too familiar with forum tools yet.

Yes you are right, I am sure it's the IC as the wiring is right where the dent is.

Red triangle where the damage is.

Now I figure out how much this will run me *tear runs down cheek*
Looking at possibly a new rad, bumper can be salvaged assuming it wasn't cracked inside on the mounts or something and a new fender....I really hope I don't need a new headlight, but it does not look like the seal was broken, and it's not cracked but pretty sure that it moved.

Again, thanks for the quick reply and pointing me in the right direction. Props.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bad for lack of editing skills, not too familiar with forum tools yet.

Yes you are right, I am sure it's the IC as the wiring is right where the dent is.

Red triangle where the damage is.

Now I figure out how much this will run me *tear runs down cheek*
Looking at possibly a new rad, bumper can be salvaged assuming it wasn't cracked inside on the mounts or something and a new fender....I really hope I don't need a new headlight, but it does not look like the seal was broken, and it's not cracked but pretty sure that it moved.

Again, thanks for the quick reply and pointing me in the right direction. Props.
I paid $480 to have mine repaired. But others have paid over $800 to have dealer repair.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Could be intercooler

Hey guys,

Something's bugging me with my S4.
It is a 2012 and it's leaking engine coolant.
Some history: yesterday in a parking lot (can see where this is going) some great person rubbed their car and dented in my fender and bumper. Does not at all look like a hit but definitely got on my nerves. I got over it and will take it to a body shop. However, this morning I discovered that my coolant was leaking as per message in the car. The coolant was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay at the bottom, almost all of it leaked out. I scoured to check and re-check every under the hood and I think I see where the leak is coming from as there are a few drops on the hose at the bottom of the coolant tank. I thought maybe it was a coincidence but when I returned to the parking lot there was a small coolant puddle.
It puzzled me as I checked and rechecked and did not see any damage whatsoever to any hoses, tanks, etc. The dent did not go past the headlight, if that is any indication but went far enough that you can see about 1 inch of a tire when wheels are straight. I doubt that Audi would house any pumps so close to the pumper/light/tire area.
Went through a couple of forums, saw that some older models, like 2011 had coolant leak problems but usually after there was work done. I did not experience any leaks since I got the car about 2,000 KM ago (approx 1200 miles). Definitely taking the car to a mechanic but wanted to see if anyone has any idea or experience with this.
Don't be surprised, it could be a crack in your intercooler ~$900-$1000