S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Loaded S4 vs. Base Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nal13
If you were to get the base panamera with just the sports chrono the performance wouldn't be that far off of the S4. One of the major car magazine (forgot which) tested a base panamera 4 last month and ran in 0-60 in 4.9. The car is much lighter then its V8 counterparts, and still has a 300/300 output. However, the ultimate key is the transmission. The PDK is arguably the best automatic transmission, short of ferrari's F1, in the world. It's so efficient and so fast that it is bringing performance to the next level. Coupled with the sports chrono, which increases boost, it can't be beat. The PDK transmission on the base panamera is the same as that on the Panamaera turbo (500 horsepower) and 911 turbo S (530 horsepower) which have been ran 0-60 at 3.3 and 2.7 respectably. Finally it is a porsche. Re sale value is second to known, build quality is legendary, and again its a porsche.

Finally the new p-cars are coming with more std equipment. The panamera comes standard with power everything, navigation, and blue tooth. Not to mention the interior is the nicest out there short of a bentley or rolls Not bad for a 70K porsche.
I think it was C&D who provided these numbers but I highly doubt it. The car weighs slightly more than a S4, has less hp than an S4, Has less torque than an S4 and the torque comes on later than an S4 so how do they do 4.9s. I guess the question is, is the PDK that much better than DSG and does the launch on the PDK overcome the above mentioned advantages of the S4. Maybe the Panemera 4 AWD system has less drivetrain loss?
Need to get to a Porsche dealership with a friend in S4 to see which is faster.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Panamera is one ugly-*** car. It's like it won a contest to see the limits of what people would buy just because it says "Porsche" on it.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned

Interior - hands down Panamera...one of the (if not THE) best in the world
Exterior - hands down S4 (really, it's just hands down NEVER the Panamera in any comparison. I'd rather look at a Nissan Cube)
Engine - both are great, but the base model panamera has a good bit of heft to overcome, and until they start selling it with the V6 supercharged Audi engine (it's only a matter of time) I don't think you'll get much more out of it to compete with a tuned S4
Quality - both are good, Porsches seem to be great though lately. Both are new and have a warranty, so failures aren't a big worry. Basically a wash
Resale - the Panamera should hold a bit better unless they redesign it and the new one looks good...then you're ****ed. You know the B8 S4 will look exactly like this 5 years from now, so no real worry there.

All around I can't think of a reason to get a 6 cylinder Panamera unless you want to show off your Porsche car key while trying to pick up 40 year broads at a bar. ??? The turbo on the other hand is a performance marvel, and I could overlook the butt for that. But then it's $150,000 and I'd have to pass up a few other incredible cars...which would be tough to do.

I will say this...the Panamera has presence (the V8 ones). They have a deep rumble and they are very serious looking cars. Still, it doesn't come close to overcoming the points it loses to the S4 on. I just think the car in person is a 5/10 while in photos and 2d, it's a 2/10.

Last edited by sakimano; 11-12-2010 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by riegerman
I think it was C&D who provided these numbers but I highly doubt it. The car weighs slightly more than a S4, has less hp than an S4, Has less torque than an S4 and the torque comes on later than an S4 so how do they do 4.9s. I guess the question is, is the PDK that much better than DSG and does the launch on the PDK overcome the above mentioned advantages of the S4. Maybe the Panemera 4 AWD system has less drivetrain loss?
Need to get to a Porsche dealership with a friend in S4 to see which is faster.
well, the Panamera Turbo weighs something like 4300lbs...and is faster than an Audi R8 V10 or a Lamborghini Gallardo...even though it makes less power and weighs 600-800lbs more than both

don't forget, two things are possible here

1. under-rated power levels
2. amazing area under the curve makes up for low peak hp

Both of these things fooled people when the S4 was announced as a 333hp car that weighed 4000lbs and performed WAY over it's head...and Porsche is certainly not immune from playing that game.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
well, the Panamera Turbo weighs something like 4300lbs...and is faster than an Audi R8 V10 or a Lamborghini Gallardo...even though it makes less power and weighs 600-800lbs more than both

don't forget, two things are possible here

1. under-rated power levels
2. amazing area under the curve makes up for low peak hp

Both of these things fooled people when the S4 was announced as a 333hp car that weighed 4000lbs and performed WAY over it's head...and Porsche is certainly not immune from playing that game.

Completely agree. Porsche also charges a 20K premium for the panamera S models over the base. It would be bad business if the kid brother was only putting out 50 or so less horsepower and weighed a few hundred pounds less.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
The Panamera is one ugly-*** car. It's like it won a contest to see the limits of what people would buy just because it says "Porsche" on it.
+1...it really is ugly and too big for my liken.

Last edited by bmoney; 11-12-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

That is a tough one because of all of the reasons stated. I do think that the Panamera looks okay looks wise and I have driven the S and I can say that was fun. After driving the S and riding in a Turbo though, I couldn't imagine the base model. I understand that it is a porsche and but it is a completely different car than the S4. It is longer, wider, has a 5th door, and shouldn't really be compared to the Audi in the sense of performance.

You have to decide how much power you want and then see if the Panamera can cut it for you. My advice would be to drive it and see if it meets your standards. If so, then maybe go for it. The interior is beautiful and base does come with some cool features but it is a very different car.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'd look at a RS5 unless you really needed 4 doors

the porsche is the fastest 4 door sedan on the road now though.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess I'm weird. I think the panamera turbo is gorgeous, esp. from the front end.

At first I was resistant, though. You have to look at a lot, and then you really "see" it. And I don't intend to sound ridiculous.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Panamera is BIG car. I got a loaner for 2 days. It's in a different class, not necessarily better, just different. Rear view is awful. Looks are subjective. My wife loves, I hate.

Quick Reply: Loaded S4 vs. Base Panamera