S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Losing Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went to take a look again it seems if i park it on one side with the driver side sloped lower it leaks and if i have it so the passenger side is lower it doesn't leak. Hole in intercooler rad?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

unknown, have your dealer scope it out for you. hopefully not problem I had...

Bruce
Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

So been at the dealers for a week now (dropped it off last Thurs) and they cannot find the leak???

Said ran pressure tests, tilted the car all sorts of ways but no leak. Notice coolant was indeed low but said could be due to break in? Still trying.

Any ideas anyone? so i can give them?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey tofuking...

Are you 100% sure it is coolant and not something else like water from the A/C system?

There are many of us that have, and are, experiencing disappearing coolant. I've had mine topped off at least 4 times since I bought the S4 new a little over a year ago...38,000 miles now. I've never found a leak anywhere. No smell of coolant. Nothing.

If you have a leak that should be pretty easy to find especially if the overfill tank is showing that low and it was at the top line earlier that day. Leaks in radiators, hoses, I/C's, etc don't come and go. They start and they either remain or get worse.

My guess is your S4 is suffering from the disappearing coolant and it's not a true leak.

...just a guess based on limited info...but it's worth considering.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have lost some coolant also. Just had my thermostat replaced and get a nice smell of coolant through the air vents. This has happened since day one so new news there. But my coolant level was usually right at the Max line. But lately it has gone down mid way between Max and Min. I am keeping a eye on it. I will try to look at the level when the engine has set overnight to get a constant reading. Should be taking my car in the rear diff leak soon (waiting on parts) and want to share with my SA any lose of coolant.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm not sure if this is correct information or not, but I seem to remember hearing something about coolant consumption in Audis back when I got my B6 S4.

It also had an issue consuming amounts (albeit small) of coolant. I had a B6 A4 also that was no different, not as bad, but no different. I had the same issue with my B8 back when it was still new -- LONG before the coolant pump finally failed.

So, since service was never able to find any leaks in any of them (except of course in the one with the failed coolant pump), I have made a habit of keeping some of the Audi coolant on hand to make sure the level stays where it should be.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

tofuking...I'm dying for an update on your coolant situation... Can you please update us???

Thank you!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by redrocker55
tofuking...I'm dying for an update on your coolant situation... Can you please update us???

Thank you!
Hi redrocker55, sorry for the delay, i just picked up by car just now. Basically the entire week they couldn't find any leaks. They ran the pressure tests, had the car on all different angles but could not replicate. They have filled up the reservoir tank now slightly over MAX. I drove it for about 1 hour today from the dealer to dinner then back home, no loss of coolant. It is now parked in the garage, i will check tomorrow morning if there is any loss.

They are saying could be coolant consumption during break in period.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you for the great update! These dealership service departments are funny. I'd love to have them explain how a S4 uses coolant during the break in but afterwards stops consuming coolant?

I bet it's the mysterious disappearing coolant situation that a few of us have.

I'd keep an eye on it, but I bet you don't have any problems.

If something major was going on they would have found it this week and you probably would not have made it home without a sizable loss of fluid.

Enjoy the S4! Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

The only thing are those puddles i saw... makes it really weird...
i guess i will find out tomorrow morning when i go look at my car if there is another puddle there (AC not on today at all)

Quick Reply: Losing Coolant?