S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug nuts

Despite the potential attack I might take on my manliness, I thought I would ask this question.

In preparing to swap my summer wheels for winters yesterday, I noticed there are plastic caps on the lugs (presumably to protect the lug nuts). Note: I have the 20" wheels. Is there a tool provided in the kit (I'm on the road today away from car) to remove those caps - I couldn't twist them off and I don't have a hex wrench as big as they are to twist them off.

I swore to never write a post about how to change a tire (I promise I've done it a hundred times) but I just couldn't, off the top of my head, figure out the intention of removing these caps..... Are they meant to be removed by hand?

Fire away...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ben, there is a tool to pull those plastic caps off in the kit in your clove box. The tool looks like tweezers. Those plastic things are just supposed to be a asthetic thing....What winter tires/wheels did you get?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't have the tool to remove those caps. A week after I took deliver of the car, I took it back to the dealer, and my salesman couldn't find the tool either. He got me one, but now I leave those caps off.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4-NH
Despite the potential attack I might take on my manliness, I thought I would ask this question.

In preparing to swap my summer wheels for winters yesterday, I noticed there are plastic caps on the lugs (presumably to protect the lug nuts). Note: I have the 20" wheels. Is there a tool provided in the kit (I'm on the road today away from car) to remove those caps - I couldn't twist them off and I don't have a hex wrench as big as they are to twist them off.

I swore to never write a post about how to change a tire (I promise I've done it a hundred times) but I just couldn't, off the top of my head, figure out the intention of removing these caps..... Are they meant to be removed by hand?

Fire away...

As was mentioned, there is a plastic tool that looks like a very large set of tweezers. It may be in the glove box or with the spare tire. The caps pull straight off, they do not twist.

Greg
Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4CUZZ
Ben, there is a tool to pull those plastic caps off in the kit in your clove box. The tool looks like tweezers. Those plastic things are just supposed to be a asthetic thing....What winter tires/wheels did you get?
Thanks for that - very helpful.

I went with a tire rack suggested combo of Sport Edition SE-14's with Dunlop Winter Sport 3ds. Excited to see how they do in the snow!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4-NH
Thanks for that - very helpful.

I went with a tire rack suggested combo of Sport Edition SE-14's with Dunlop Winter Sport 3ds. Excited to see how they do in the snow!
I was looking at SE-14's also, but not sure about getting wheels that are not hub centric. Don't want Audi pointing finger at wheels if there is any type of vibration issue. Should not be an issue though with centering rings...
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AlA4
As was mentioned, there is a plastic tool that looks like a very large set of tweezers. It may be in the glove box or with the spare tire. The caps pull straight off, they do not twist.

Greg
In my car it was among the other tools under the spare wheel.
The tool is made of steel and kind of bent as a U
Hope this helps
Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ljcougar11
In my car it was among the other tools under the spare wheel.
The tool is made of steel and kind of bent as a U
Hope this helps
For my two A4's the cap removal tool was plastic (like this one: http://www.europaparts.com/audi-lug-...d0012244a.html) and was in the kit in the trunk with the rest of the wheel tools. I'm surprised they would change something that seemed to work so well from plastic to steel. That's progress.

PS - I think I almost bought that exact same car before it came in. Mine's at the dealer now waiting for pick-up. Is it the only S4 in Halifax?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sworksone
For my two A4's the cap removal tool was plastic (like this one: http://www.europaparts.com/audi-lug-...d0012244a.html) and was in the kit in the trunk with the rest of the wheel tools. I'm surprised they would change something that seemed to work so well from plastic to steel. That's progress.

PS - I think I almost bought that exact same car before it came in. Mine's at the dealer now waiting for pick-up. Is it the only S4 in Halifax?
This was the first S4 in Nova Scotia and I purchased it in August. A second one (Grey) came in 2-3 weeks ago but not sure where it went. Are you in Halifax?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ljcougar11
This was the first S4 in Nova Scotia and I purchased it in August. A second one (Grey) came in 2-3 weeks ago but not sure where it went. Are you in Halifax?
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Lug nuts