S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

M5+A4=S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgdA4
So S4 premium in canada is the same as the US S4 prestige?
Hmm, I have no idea.

Originally Posted by xtr3ma
Probably B&O.

I really wish you don't have to go Premium to get it. Premiums is a rip off. Basically you pay $2500 for Homelink, Side Assist and turning head lamps.
Ic. What are 'Homelink' and 'Side Assist'? I also see that 'Advanced Key with Start Button' only comes in Premium: what is that? Thx.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Basically Premium is the Prestige of the USA from what I can tell.

HomeLink basically lets you just open/close your garage with one of the three buttons in the car. You just set everything up by hitting the learn button on your garage door opener, and following the steps in the owners manual..

Side Assist basically alerts you when a car is in your blind spot. There is these two small lights integrated in your side mirrors that flash when you want to change lanes and a car is in your blind spot to alert you that its not safe to change lanes etc etc..

Advanced Key with Start Button.. Well basically just lets you keep the car key in your pocket, and you can open/close the car by just touching various areas on the door handle, and can start the car by just hitting the start button with your foot on the brakes..
Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Proogz
Advanced Key with Start Button.. Well basically just lets you keep the car key in your pocket, and you can open/close the car by just touching various areas on the door handle, and can start the car by just hitting the start button with your foot on the brakes..
Thanks for the descriptions, I'm esp interested in the above: I can un/lock the door just by touching diff parts of the door? That's a pretty neat ftn!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tranquility
Thanks for the descriptions, I'm esp interested in the above: I can un/lock the door just by touching diff parts of the door? That's a pretty neat ftn!
Actually, the door will automatically unlock when you open it normally. There is a sensor on the back of the handle that unlocks the car as you go to open the handle. There is a small sensor on the front of the handle that you just touch as you are leaving the car to lock it. You just press a button on the dash to start the car. The key never leaves your pocket.

The advanced key is a great feature. Once you have it you don't want to be without it. I really miss it when I go to drive my wife's car.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yea basically what Hobbes said..

Its an amazing feature to have, once you have it like said above, you never wanna not have it...

Last edited by Proogz; 04-17-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Actually, the door will automatically unlock when you open it normally. There is a sensor on the back of the handle that unlocks the car as you go to open the handle. There is a small sensor on the front of the handle that you just touch as you are leaving the car to lock it. You just press a button on the dash to start the car. The key never leaves your pocket.

The advanced key is a great feature. Once you have it you don't want to be without it. I really miss it when I go to drive my wife's car.
So you would open the door normally, but when you leave your car, to lock it you have to intentionally press the front of the handle? I'm just trying to visualize if it would be easier or harder for thieves vs a normal setup: suppose you are within range of the car and press the front handle to lock and then start to walk away from the car, can the thief just open the door since you're still w/i range (does it matter which door he tries?)? Also, if you just leave the car w/o pressing anything, does the door remain unlocked or will it lock w/i a certain timeframe? Thx.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So you would open the door normally, but when you leave your car, to lock it you have to intentionally press the front of the handle? I'm just trying to visualize if it would be easier or harder for thieves vs a normal setup: suppose you are within range of the car and press the front handle to lock and then start to walk away from the car, can the thief just open the door since you're still w/i range (does it matter which door he tries?)? Also, if you just leave the car w/o pressing anything, does the door remain unlocked or will it lock w/i a certain timeframe? Thx.
It's important to note that the smart key is a convenience feature, not a security feature.

That being said, it is fairly sophisticated. The car knows when the key is inside the car, and the car won't start if the key is only nearby, but not inside. In fact, the car won't let you lock it from the outside if the key is still inside. Also, the key also has to be fairly close to the car before the doors will automatically unlock, so a thief wouldn't be able to sneak in as you're walking away, since you'd very quickly be out of range. The car even knows which side of the car you are on, and only that door can be automatically unlocked.

You do need to touch the sensor to lock the car after you exit (or press the lock button on the key itself). The car will not automatically lock itself.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

^Thx. Neat feature.