S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Major Oil Leak! Source?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry...why aren't you letting the dealer fix this? I'm not sure but that looks like about a cup of oil...and I can only imagine how much more is on the roads you were driving on.

Maybe fill it up (although that oil gauge in MMI sucks *****) and take it in.

edit: sorry, I just noticed that it is being towed to the dealer.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I said in my original post that it was getting towed to the dealer this morning. I work on my own cars most of the time, so I wanted to be sure it wasn't something simple. My dealer is two hours away.

I talked to them just now and they said the oil filter was leaking. That was a costly mistake for them. They haven't found where the missing hardware goes yet.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Leaking from the filter, it seems very odd the oil would be that dirty after only a week from your last oil change and only 5k miles on the car. Wonder if they really changed the oil, or the tech got distracted as he was starting, then forgot where he was and thought he was done when he got back.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It was clear on the dipstick right after I left. Oil turns dark pretty quickly in my experience. It wasn't real dark though, may appear that way in the pictures.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

At least the oil filter thing is [not] a serious problem that would be harmful to the car (other than getting oil all over the place). Did they do any work other than the oil change the first time you when there? Mine is 2010 and when they did the clutch TSB they had to remove the exhaust. Maybe the bolts were dropped during manufacturing and you just happened to find them. BTW - just edited this to add [not]. my bad!

Last edited by Sandy S; 08-16-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sunstealer
I said in my original post that it was getting towed to the dealer this morning. I work on my own cars most of the time, so I wanted to be sure it wasn't something simple. My dealer is two hours away.

I talked to them just now and they said the oil filter was leaking. That was a costly mistake for them. They haven't found where the missing hardware goes yet.
This is a great example of why I do my own oil changes. I've had a few experiences like this with other car brands at other dealerships and it's very frustrating. I've had a oil pan whose threads were stripped at the dealership, loose drain plug twice leaking oil everywhere, cross threaded oil filter and one time they forgot to put the oil cap back on.

After a while you say...forget the dealership for oil changes...I'm doing it myself.

Sorry you have to go through with this Sunstealer.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EF99
Leaking from the filter, it seems very odd the oil would be that dirty after only a week from your last oil change and only 5k miles on the car. Wonder if they really changed the oil, or the tech got distracted as he was starting, then forgot where he was and thought he was done when he got back.
oil can look pretty dark after 1 day of driving. Don't forget when you do an oil change, you drain out the oil from the car, but you don't clean the lubricated components of gunge and all oil, and you don't get ALL of the oil out.

So immediately when you put your clean honey like oil in, it's turning dark from being 'contaminated' by the existing gunge etc. Drive the car for any length of time, and it starts looking darker.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
oil can look pretty dark after 1 day of driving. Don't forget when you do an oil change, you drain out the oil from the car, but you don't clean the lubricated components of gunge and all oil, and you don't get ALL of the oil out.

So immediately when you put your clean honey like oil in, it's turning dark from being 'contaminated' by the existing gunge etc. Drive the car for any length of time, and it starts looking darker.
Well, I've been changing my own oil for more than a quarter century (that's a lot of oil changes and a lot of different cars). While I've had 2 cars (one a GM 350 V8 with perpetual engine troubles, and one a used Scirocco) where the oil looked dirty pretty soon after a change, on every other car I recall, the oil still looked honey colored up to at least 500 miles, sometimes 1000 miles after changing.

To check the color you should really wipe the dipsitck on a white paper towel. When it's on the edge of getting dirty it still looks honey colored on the dipstick but the dirtiness shows up when you wipe it onto a white towel. I've found this to be even more true for tranny fluid (looks cherry-red on the dipstick but shows some dirtiness when wiped on a white towel).

I'm just saying, my experience has apparently been very different from yours, and that's fine. Not saying my experience is better or more accurate. Just different.

PS I've never had a supercharged (or turbocharged) car before, and that may be a factor (extra undrained capacity and extra heat).
Old 08-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, they sent a flatbed back with the car today. The oil problem was an issue with the oil filter. They just installed it improperly. The stud and nuts I found are only used on the exhaust manifold. They disassembled enough to get to all the bolts and none are missing. The only explanation they can come up with is that they were dropped during production of the car. That seems odd, but makes more sense than them just falling off for no reason.

No more dealer services for me though. We are starting a new detached garage/shop tomorrow. Once it is up, a 4-post lift will be following soon after!
Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

My wife bought a 2005 TSX and had dealer do first oil change. Next morning, nice oil puddle on driveway - they cross threaded the filter. Flat bedded it back to them, cussed out service manager and count me in that group of folks who do it themselves. I just don't trust the average stealership wrench monkey to get it right. If I can't do it then fine, send back to stealership but if it's simple and I've got the right tools?

Quick Reply: Major Oil Leak! Source?