S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Manual and no sports Diff Vs. DSG and Sports Diff

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audipwr1
All wheel drive cars like a little left foot braking to rotate the car (traction dependent)

I read that without an engine chip the car kills any throttle when the brake is applied.

DSG is nice for everyday use in SF, I just wonder how much im going to miss the manual in both day to day and track driving. Really wish someone would get a chip made to clean up the annoying things the DSG does
It does kill the throttle when you press both gas and brake at the same time.....it stops the Prius crowd from killing themselves....and screws the rest of us. I think that you can overlap brake and gas for about 1 second before it cuts the gas, so I do this on slower corners.

On fast corners, I say FU Audi...I put gas on WOT, then brake and go into and around corner with gas pedal all the way down (brake cuts out the power) then on the exit you just release the brake pedal. When life gives you lemons....
Old 03-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I'm a die hard MT guy. But I would not advise buying the S4 without the Sport dif ESPECIALLY if you are going to track the car. BTW, the DSG IS a manual trans. Just doesn't have a clutch pedal
I think Audi designed it to be an automatic with fast gear changes. In Manual mode it will still upshift at red line...and if you floor the gas in Manual mode it will still kickdown.

Pretty bad, but I drove a Mazda 3 automatic - it did not upshift at red line and did not kickdown in manual mode, so behaved more like a manual transmission, despite its slushy torque convertor. The shifter also worked in the correction direction.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OP did you check with Carlsen? I just got mine there a couple weeks ago and they had a few MT's but were a little more features than I needed...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audipwr1
That is all I am finding within 500 miles of my house and don't want to spend 1k shipping the car to me.

its down to those two cars, and the manual is also 4.5k cheaper which is nice.
In my opinion, find a manual with diff. Sounds like that is your preferred config and if you compromise either way you'll probably regret it. That is worth $1k on a $50k+ purchase.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nhs4
In my opinion, find a manual with diff. Sounds like that is your preferred config and if you compromise either way you'll probably regret it. That is worth $1k on a $50k+ purchase.
+1

I originally test drove a car without the sports diff. My brother in law told me it was a must. Funny enough the SA wasn't pushing the option. Best decision ever as it transforms the car.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TO407S4
+1

I originally test drove a car without the sports diff. My brother in law told me it was a must. Funny enough the SA wasn't pushing the option. Best decision ever as it transforms the car.
My experience as well(without the brother in law)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

for ease of use decided to just get the DSG car.

Thanks for everyone who chimmed in with advice, really appreciate it and look forward to driving the new wheels
Old 03-22-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tracked my Stronic, works great. The car will downshift when braking in auto. I drove it mainly in maul dynamic. Mine upshifts at redline and in my opinion not a bad thing. Sport diff is a must, you made a great choice.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stock:
DSG has redline protection and will shift at redline even sometimes much sooner when left in "M" mode, you cannot bounce of the rev limiter.

ECU will kill injectors to increase economy and as a "runaway car" safety measure when brake is applied.

Tuned:

DSG has no current tune for it, but 2 companies are supposedly "working on it" which will allow to bounce off the rev limiter, and do things like provide harder and faster than stock shifting characteristics, as well as allowing access to the new 7,200 redline (over the stock 7,000) that an ECU tune gives.

APR has confirmed that their ECU tune removes the safety feature of killing the injectors when the brake is on for the experienced track persons use. Not sure on the other tuners.