S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Manual or S-tronic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
Not sure what you are asking... every automatic will rev match on downshifts for you.

Some do it faster than others. The S-tronic does it extremely fast - probably faster than you could do it with a manual.
That's not true. Not ever automatic rev matches before it down shifts. Only the newer generation of autos do that.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bluebirdpow
So here's the question, will a manual person be satisfied with compromising with this new fancy slushbox?
This is just my opinion, and probably get flamed. For me, no automatic transmission (yes, S-tronic, DSG, SMG, PDK...all are still automatics) will ever satisfy me. I'm a die-hard manual transmission guy. I don't care if any of those transmissions can shift quicker than me, it's just boring by pressing on the "go" pedal.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vwong
For me, no automatic transmission (yes, S-tronic, DSG, SMG, PDK...all are still automatics) will ever satisfy me. I'm a die-hard manual transmission guy.
+1

Just because this automatic doesn't have a torque converter doesn't mean it's not an automatic.

That said, these newer automatics are more exciting than older automatics, but to each their own. Test drive both and decide for yourself.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vwong
This is just my opinion, and probably get flamed. For me, no automatic transmission (yes, S-tronic, DSG, SMG, PDK...all are still automatics) will ever satisfy me. I'm a die-hard manual transmission guy. I don't care if any of those transmissions can shift quicker than me, it's just boring by pressing on the "go" pedal.
+1

I know for a fact that the S-tronic will outperform me, and I don't care. I get enjoyment out of rowing my own gears, even if it means that I am forgoing some small bit of optimal performance. No matter how wonderful of an automatic transmission (or automated manual ) the S-tronic is, I just don't get the same satisfaction out of flicking my fingers on some paddles while my left foot sits on the carpet.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I have a dilemma. I prefer manual transmissions, but I am trying to decide if I should get the S-tronic because then my wife could drive it. Currently, we live in the city and this will be our only car here.

I have taught her to drive a manual Jeep JK Rubicon, but that's in a mountain town setting, not in a city/highway environment. With her current skills, it will be unsafe for her (and the car) driving a manual S4.
I had exactly same dilemma . I taught my wife to drive my Supra a while back, but she has not driven manual in 10(?) years. She has her car (Lexus GX), but sometimes I have to take it (so she has to drive mine).

I ended up ordering manual, both of us thinking that slowly she will learn to drive it again.

If your wife knows how to drive in mountains, city should be easer (assuming it is not San Francisco). S4 has much more power then Ruricon, so she would not have to switch gears as often [originally]. Talk to her, if she is willing to drive manual in the city, and I would say go for it.

PS: S-tronic is very good transmission, but it is not fun
Old 11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got back from the dealer. I drove the automatic, and I was immediately very impressed with it. Going into it, I had pretty well decided that the automatic was the right decision, and driving it, I could definitely see why so many manual drivers praise it. I got back to dealership and went ahead and changed my order to include the Auto and Nav.

The sales person had some paperwork to do and I was in line behind other customers. I wandered around the showroom and after about 5 minutes of lurking at Porsches, I ended up sitting in an S5, a manual. I grabbed the shifter and it all flooded back to me. Could I really do this? "Do you mind if I drive that manual S4 one more time?"

"No problem."

I have to admit, I knew it was all over before we were out of the parking lot. He has to have known it was over after the first right on red, where I nearly red-lined before perfectly shifting to second.

My wife can get her own damn car, I love her and she deserves it. This thing's going to be original spec:

Sprint Blue
- Manual
- ADS
- Alcantara & Carbon
- 18"
- B&O

From now on though, I will stop peering into 335i's, M3's, and S4/5's to see if the person has a manual and deserves respect. No really, I'll try.

I think I learned something about myself in this experience.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got back from the dealer. I drove the automatic, and I was immediately very impressed with it. Going into it, I had pretty well decided that the automatic was the right decision, and driving it, I could definitely see why so many manual drivers praise it. I got back to dealership and went ahead and changed my order to include the Auto and Nav.

The sales person had some paperwork to do and I was in line behind other customers. I wandered around the showroom and after about 5 minutes of lurking at Porsches, I ended up sitting in an S5, a manual. I grabbed the shifter and it all flooded back to me. Could I really do this? "Do you mind if I drive that manual S4 one more time?"

"No problem."

I have to admit, I knew it was all over before we were out of the parking lot. He has to have known it was over after the first right on red, where I nearly red-lined before perfectly shifting to second.

My wife can get her own damn car, I love her and she deserves it. This thing's going to be original spec:

Sprint Blue
- Manual
- ADS
- Alcantara & Carbon
- 18"
- B&O

From now on though, I will stop peering into 335i's, M3's, and S4/5's to see if the person has a manual and deserves respect. No really, I'll try.

Get what you love
Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A great car stirs your emotions. If the manual transmission contributes to that feeling, then you made the right choice.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

"No problem."

Sprint Blue
- Manual
- ADS
- Alcantara & Carbon
- 18"
- B&O

I had the same problem when I was ordering. I deceided that I would get tired of the auto and I'm very happy I got the manual. I have no problem with the DSG or the people who like it, it's just not for me.

Greg

10 S4 Ice Silver, 6MT, Prestige, Black Napa, ADS, DA, Carbon Fiber
Old 11-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sprint Blue
- Manual
- ADS
- Alcantara & Carbon
- 18"
- B&O

haha, that made me lol. manual is the way to go

Quick Reply: Manual or S-tronic