S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Manual or S-tronic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebirdpow
I grabbed the shifter and it all flooded back to me. Could I really do this? "Do you mind if I drive that manual S4 one more time?"
Been there, done it
Old 11-03-2009, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

From now on though, I will stop peering into 335i's, M3's, and S4/5's to see if the person has a manual and deserves respect. No really, I'll try.

I think I learned something about myself in this experience.
haha good one

prior to my wife and I dating, she knew nothing about cars. Me being the ultimate enthusiast, I was always talking about them to her and she seemed interested.

One day we went over someone's house and there was a beautiful shiny 'Vette in the driveway. She walked over to it, peered inside, and muttered "huh" under her breath and walked away. Later I asked her what she was looking at and she said condesendingly "it was an automatic"...

I knew at that moment that we would be happy forever
Old 11-04-2009, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

From now on though, I will stop peering into 335i's, M3's, and S4/5's to see if the person has a manual and deserves respect. No really, I'll try.
Good luck trying to do that.. it's really hard.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Props to you Mulligan...props to you! *high five*

Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan
haha good one

prior to my wife and I dating, she knew nothing about cars. Me being the ultimate enthusiast, I was always talking about them to her and she seemed interested.

One day we went over someone's house and there was a beautiful shiny 'Vette in the driveway. She walked over to it, peered inside, and muttered "huh" under her breath and walked away. Later I asked her what she was looking at and she said condesendingly "it was an automatic"...

Old 11-05-2009, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default S-tronic the ONLY auto I'd consider

I drive a 07 335i with the 6mt.
And I live in and around Philadelphia.
And driving in traffic often can be a little annoying, but it becomes second nature and not as bad as you might think.

Every time I drive on twisting open roads, I'm reminded of how much I love driving the 6mt.
It's just a blast....a video game in the real world.

And i wouldn't consider any automatic except the S-tronic (or PDK).
Test drove the S4 S-tronic and even though it can't be quite as entertaining as my 6mt, I would switch to the S4---but only if I can get the #s I need in a lease.

The S-tronic is so crisp (not the typical slushbox) that I have great respect for the engineering. And it would give me the luxury of sitting back and enjoying the view, especially in traffic.

Best of luck.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've only ever had manuals before my S4 and I can't really say that I miss it. I've gotten used to reaching the paddles during a turn if needed and it's nice to be able to just put it in drive while I'm drinking coffee in the morning. The DSG technology is one of the reasons I chose this car over the 335xi and others.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Depends

Let me preface by saying I bought my manual S4 after looking at a few used Porsche Carrera S's for about the same money. I had to have the manual, but I left the door open with the dealer to drive an s-tronic when they got one in. Keep in mind; I bought the manual.

Anyway, I love the manual when I have some open road to drive; it can become a chore in slow city driving. This is the most important thing to consider; I have another car to drive which helps me vary the situation. My initial impression is that the dual clutch system is probably faster 0-60 than any manual shifter (except pros) who read this forum. That being said, you can really use the torque mid range with the manual 6 that would be hard to beat.

Finally, the wife issue. My wife drove an old manual BMW many years ago, the S4 is harder for her to get used to in traffic even though it's a very smooth shifter. We are older in our 50's for what it's worth.

You just have to drive them both.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

nice post. i'm driving a A3 DSG and often wonder. . .
Old 11-17-2009, 03:18 AM
ERF
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan
haha good one

Too funny! I still drive a stick and get strange looks from people when they sit in the S4 and see the old school shifter.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So I have a dilemma. I prefer manual transmissions, but I am trying to decide if I should get the S-tronic because then my wife could drive it. Currently, we live in the city and this will be our only car here.

I have taught her to drive a manual Jeep JK Rubicon, but that's in a mountain town setting, not in a city/highway environment. With her current skills, it will be unsafe for her (and the car) driving a manual S4.

So here's the question, will a manual person be satisfied with compromising with this new fancy slushbox? I have ridden in a lot of rental car automatics with the +/- thing and they clearly suck, but some people swear by these paddles in sports cars these days. I know the automatic is faster at the track, but I am more concerned about losing the feel I get from a manual.

My wife is totally fine if I get the manual, but it would be convenient if she could drive every once in a while. I like the idea that the automatic S4 would basically be the safest car on the road for her to drive in highway traffic (big brakes, great handling, and excellent crash scores). But, the whole point of this car is that it's my toy. Should I just get used to paddles now so I am ready when I buy a Ferrari some day?

Has anyone here faced and resolved this dilemma? Why can't manufacturers just put a clutch down there that I can opt to use or not use?
If you can drive a stick, you can drive a stick, I doubt she would be any less safe in mountain town vs the city (other than the hubbub of more drivers in the city), whether it be a stick, or automatic makes no difference on that one. Either you can get the car moving or you can't. The real question is do you want to be in stop and go traffic and be driving a stick.

Quick Reply: Manual or S-tronic