S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Manual tranny....smoothness.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
I don't have the problem either. BUT, you may want to try this. The B6 s4 6MT had a notchy 1/2 shift. It could be alleviated by putting pressure toward the left side of the shift gate while shifting 1/2. So instead of pulling the shift lever directly back, pull it back and toward the left. Can't guarantee it will work on the B8, but it did with the B6. Probably not the same trans. Alternatively, hesitating a a naosecond between 1/2 would also help. If this doesn't help, you may have a bad 1/2 synchro.Let us know if it helps.
Ok, this brings up something that everyone with BMW's experience. The 1st to 2nd shift is incredibly notchy and dull. Thats because since around '92ish BMW was putting in something called a CDV(Clutch Delay Valve). Theres a modification for it that opens the valve up and releases the flow of fluid so that the transition is much smoother and quicker.

Im wondering if Audi has something like this installed in their clutch lines?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I made the appt for January 3rd. I hope this is my last trip to the dealer until my 5k service. The car has 2k on it and been to the dealer 2x this will be 3x
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
The BMW CDV is very pronounced, and if Audi has something similar they've done a good job with it.

To the OP, I don't have SD either and find that my car shifts great, and it gets better as the miles accumulate. I think yours has some issues that the dealer will have to resolve.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I played around on my way home last night to see if I could experience your issue... If I do not concentrate on matching the revs from 1-2 2-3 then it can be a rough transition. The revs drop so fast in this car I find that I need to shift faster than in my old S4 or my GTI. Makes it really hard to drive this car economically!

Maybe a short shifter would help the situation?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Ok, this brings up something that everyone with BMW's experience. The 1st to 2nd shift is incredibly notchy and dull. Thats because since around '92ish BMW was putting in something called a CDV(Clutch Delay Valve). Theres a modification for it that opens the valve up and releases the flow of fluid so that the transition is much smoother and quicker.

I'm aware of the CDV valve since my last car was a 335i. But, Im not sure there is a similar part in the S4. Many removed the CDV in their BMWs.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
I played around on my way home last night to see if I could experience your issue... If I do not concentrate on matching the revs from 1-2 2-3 then it can be a rough transition. The revs drop so fast in this car I find that I need to shift faster than in my old S4 or my GTI. Makes it really hard to drive this car economically!

So r u feeling this is normal and may just need a sprint booster and faster clutch release?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
I don't experience this either - it's even smoother when the car is in dynamic mode.
2nd. My 6MT shifts great.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BaLLZDeePNYC
So r u feeling this is normal and may just need a sprint booster and faster clutch release?
Possibly, it seems the faster I get in and out of gear the smoother it goes. Since I can't drive your car and experience it there is no way for me to quantify what is going on. Dynamic is easier than auto or comfort to progress smoothly.

Hope that it gets resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance

This is one of the best feeling manual transmissions I've ever driven, but there is definitely a learning curve. As said above, the RPMs drop really really fast in this car, and it takes a good amount of driving to get your muscle memory in place to shift smoothly 1st->2nd->3rd. Driving in dynamic mode helps with smooth shifting if you have SD/ADS.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

My shop foreman over at Classic AUdi is awesome. They are replacing my entire clutch instead of just doing the TSB. He told me that just doing the TSB does not fix what damage the faulty parts could have done to the pressure plate etc. I told him about squeeling brakes he told me that its normal as he owns an A4 same problem. He said yes they can be modified but the modification takes a lot of like from the brake pads and some life off the rotors. He said he could do it if I wanted. I told him I will try to bed in the brakes again. He laughed and said that almost what the modification does anyway. Its shaving down the pads and rotors lol. Anyway I will hear back today about where the clutch is coming from whether here at the warehouse or from Germany. If its here than I will get my car back next wed or thur.

Quick Reply: Manual tranny....smoothness.