S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Mechatronics thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechatronics thread

How many of you have had your mechatronics replaced? Was it replaced under warranty? If not, how much did it run you?

My car has had a few symptoms before that I can't duplicate. I believe this is associated with mechatronics problems. It's making me a bit worried because i'm coming up on 50k miles - which is the end of my warranty. I haven't had any alerts on the dash yet. Each time i ask my dealer about this, they say that it's normal or that they can't duplicate it.

The symptoms are:
-Hard, jerky, kicking shifts when manually shifting 1 -> 2 under 3k rpm (every time)
-Occasional laggy 1->2 shifts in S mode when flooring it.
-Occasional revving (as if i'm in neutral) in manual mode when slowing down abruptly in 4th gear and then getting back on the accelerator again - e.g. for a turn or switching lanes to go around someone
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TinS5
How many of you have had your mechatronics replaced? Was it replaced under warranty? If not, how much did it run you?

My car has had a few symptoms before that I can't duplicate. I believe this is associated with mechatronics problems. It's making me a bit worried because i'm coming up on 50k miles - which is the end of my warranty. I haven't had any alerts on the dash yet. Each time i ask my dealer about this, they say that it's normal or that they can't duplicate it.

The symptoms are:
-Hard, jerky, kicking shifts when manually shifting 1 -> 2 under 3k rpm (every time)
-Occasional laggy 1->2 shifts in S mode when flooring it.
-Occasional revving (as if i'm in neutral) in manual mode when slowing down abruptly in 4th gear and then getting back on the accelerator again - e.g. for a turn or switching lanes to go around someone

There are many on here who will describe the exact symptoms as you are describing. Most cases the periodic and rare jerky movement in low gears wont cause a code. Is it normal? Only if you want to buy into the bs or remain in denial because you dont have the energy to force Audi to deal with the issue.

You can try swapping the mechatronics unit since the mechatronics unit is known to cause issues. Then go from there
Old 02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I wonder for those others with the same occasional symptoms - did it eventually progress to a code and needing the mechatronics replaced? Or was it problematic but "stable"
Old 02-28-2013, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've asked my dealer about the same things described here and they are like "We can't duplicate" everything is as normal. ? Huh?