S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MMI issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI issue

So this morning I get into my car and the MMI system turns on but that was pretty much it. I could get a navigation screen, but the IPOD/media device at first wouldn't turn on at all, and the radio (both satelite and regular was out). After rebooting the MMI system I was able to get the Media conectivity to work, but the radio is still shot. Anyone have similar problems with an easy fix or am I off to the dealer.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a computer, it can hang up sometimes, though much more rarely than a PC. Have you rebooted it? shut the car off for 2+ hours so it powers down then got back in?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
It's a computer, it can hang up sometimes, though much more rarely than a PC. Have you rebooted it? shut the car off for 2+ hours so it powers down then got back in?
Thanks for the advice. I did reboot the MMI originally but it did not fix the problem. I let the car sit for the last hour and half and when I turned it back on, the system appeared to reset. All is well now. I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I'll be out of the warranty in the next 6 months to a year and I can't begin to imagine what the electronics on this car will cost.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

You didn't happen to have Bluetooth enabled and your cell phone close did you?

I had the same problem about 3 times. The MMI did show the radio stations and when I switched to media it looked like they were playing but just no sound. So I plugged in a destination to see if I got any sound and wala it talked to me.

So the next check was the phone. I hit the TEL button and noticed I was already connected on a call. The recipient was "unknown"!!!!

The car was in the garage but my phone was in my bedroom. as the crow flies about 30-35 feet away.

I couldn't get it to hang up.

So to this day I am not sure if it is my car or my phone.

Been meaning to program someone else's phone to see if the bugs are with the car or my phone.

The other bug is when I get an incoming call and answer it with the car the sound goes off until it connects, then the radio volume comes back up and I have to hit the mute button. Then I can hear them and vice versa. But on my screen it says "muted"

However if I answer the call with my cell the volume goes down and I can talk.

If I delete all devices and reset defaults it works for a few times but eventually goes back. One of these days I will figure it out or get an iPhone or Droid and see if that works.

Mine's a Blackberry but on the Nextel network
Old 12-09-2011, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Actually your post reminded me... It's amazing that they still charge $2000 for a navigation package while nowadays you can get a top-of-the-line super-sleek Macbook Pro at that price.

And I kinda disagree that MMI hangs up less than PC. My laptop is pretty wonderful to me in the past 2 years and it costed less than half of the MMI. MMI is a piece of crappy German software compare to what we make here.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Old 12-10-2011, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the car for around five months and haven't had any issues with sound. The bluetooth interference is an interesting possibility. I'm using an iPhone and have received a few calls with no issues--music is muted and the call is active with sound immediately. I did however 'lose' my address book and phone functionality once via bluetooth. I think I had to re-add the phone to the car and then all was fine.