S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MMI questions (music integration)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI questions (music integration)

For those of you with the Nav system....can you comment on how the iPod integration works? What do you see on the Nav screen? What about if you're using SD cards instead? How does the interface work?

Photos, of course, would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Last edited by WatchNut; 02-12-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I can only speak to SD card, as I don't use an iPod. I use a bejPod. Just like playing MP3s on laptop with files on hard drive or USB drive. Just go to the folder where your music files are and it will play them.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

From my test drive I know that the iPod integration will actually come up with a list of all of your music as well as the ability to choose music by album/artist/genre, etc.

It also knows all of the playlists that are on the iPod.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

SD cards and the iPod work in very similar ways. The big difference is SD cards are limited to the number of files. The AMI iPod interface isn't limited. Of course the iPod ultimately is but the AMI iPod interface isn't.

I use an iPod Classic and have all my music on it (approx 90Gb I guess). I'm very happy with it. Once I found the fast index (twist the know quickly) then I don't think I've a complaint. Some people use the mix function and that seems to reset each time but I don't so it's not an issue for me.

I think AMI should be standard these days. I'm sure more people used mp3 than CDs.

With two SDHC slots, AMI (for either iPod, USB stick, USB HDD etc) and a CD/DVD slot, I really can't see why anyone would need to spend the £300 extra for the UK option of the multi-play CD.

If I was going to critise it then I'd say it would be nice to show the album covers etc on the MMI screen.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
SD cards and the iPod work in very similar ways. The big difference is SD cards are limited to the number of files. The AMI iPod interface isn't limited. Of course the iPod ultimately is but the AMI iPod interface isn't.
Hi Scotty:

Thanks....and a follow-up question. When you say the SD cards are limited to the number of files, but the iPod isn't....what do you mean. Obviously both are governed by the total memory available (on the card itself or the iPod itself)...but is there another limitation beyond that. If I have a 64GB card full of music, will the system allow me to list and access all the files?

Many thanks.

Michael
Old 02-12-2010, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SD are limited to the number of files per folder if memory serves, I will give you the info from my owners manual. Basically you can get around the number of files limit with using subfolders, just makes for a bit of navigation if you want a specific song and have thousands is all. If you hit shuffle, it will ignore folders and shuffle then entire SD's contents.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
SD are limited to the number of files per folder if memory serves, I will give you the info from my owners manual. Basically you can get around the number of files limit with using subfolders, just makes for a bit of navigation if you want a specific song and have thousands is all. If you hit shuffle, it will ignore folders and shuffle then entire SD's contents.
Great...thanks much. Generally my stuff is organized in folders (by artist and album) anyway....so I suppose I'll be OK then. I think if the MMI/iPod interface was a bit slicker (album art, etc....I'd do what others have done and I'd buy an iPod to leave in the car. Just not sure, right now, that it's worth it as opposed to using the SD cards.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know for certain you don't get album art or anything nice like that on screen. To be honest, there isn't any good reason they don't do this other than needing to code some more things.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watchnut-

The iPod AMI interface is actually quite excellent. It allows you to browse by playlist, artist, album, etc. The fast index feature Scotty mentioned is truly useful!

My only gripe (very minor gripe) would be the slight delay of the interface, maybe a few seconds long, when you first connect an ipod or iphone and move up directories. It seems at first that it didn't respond to your input.

Yeah, it would be really nice to have album art available.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks McGriddle.

Given what you mentioned about browsing by playlist, artist, album.....would you consider that a big enough advantage over just using SD cards organizaed by artist and album (folders) to warrant using the iPod over SD cards?

Michael

Quick Reply: MMI questions (music integration)