S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MT6 vs. S-tronic

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MT6 vs. S-tronic

I've been browsing the forum for the last month and lots of great discussions. My current lease is about 6 months from ending and the S4 is on the top of my list for a new car. Probably looking at buying (rather than leasing) this time around. For various reasons, I want to hold on longer to my next car.

I'm playing around how to option my car, and I think I've got much of it figured out, except for the transmission….. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed ad nauseam so if you point me at the right thread, that's cool too.

I like the MT6 because of price, potential durability, weight and maybe the fact that driver is more connected to the car.

The S-tronic is just plain cool... quick shifts, fun downshifts, slightly better mileage, better in stop and go traffic (don't encounter much on my commute). I’m concerned about how it performs in a cold climate. I live what is arguably the coldest city in the lower 48.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to becoming a new owner of an S4.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2772836

This thread may help you out. Enjoy.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There have been a few posts about operation problems when first taking off in very cold weather, but it shouldn't be too much trouble in the DSG. Depending on the length of your long term, and how durable/failure rate of the DSG it might be a wash.

The mechatronics is about the only thing you have to ever replace other than the oil. The mechatronics is damn spendy, I think around $1500 to replace, the oil alone for most DSG's is around $150, a typical change can run $400 - 900, however NONE of the current Audi literature or what AoA is telling dealers, shows that this new DGS ever needs service (oil changed). This is highly odd, since all others are quite sensitive and need a religous change every 40K miles. Then again this one has 2 seperate oil loops and is a radical change in how it works with regards to the oil and mechatronics.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 271 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by filahebe
I've been browsing the forum for the last month and lots of great discussions. My current lease is about 6 months from ending and the S4 is on the top of my list for a new car. Probably looking at buying (rather than leasing) this time around. For various reasons, I want to hold on longer to my next car.

I'm playing around how to option my car, and I think I've got much of it figured out, except for the transmission….. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed ad nauseam so if you point me at the right thread, that's cool too.

I like the MT6 because of price, potential durability, weight and maybe the fact that driver is more connected to the car.

The S-tronic is just plain cool... quick shifts, fun downshifts, slightly better mileage, better in stop and go traffic (don't encounter much on my commute). I’m concerned about how it performs in a cold climate. I live what is arguably the coldest city in the lower 48.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to becoming a new owner of an S4.
I won't go into the merits of the 6MT versus the S-Tronic other than to say that a few years ago I was a tried and true 'manual' gearbox owner and driver. When I was introduced to the SMG II in my '02 M3, I rapidly became a convert and will never again own a 6MT gearbox IF a DSG type of gearbox is offered as an option. Also, there is a good chance that the days of the true 6MT gearbox are numbered.

To answer your question re: the S-Tronic in cold weather. We are currently experiencing mornings of about 5F and the gearbox in my car is functioning perfectly. No hesitation, shifts being made rapidly and imperceptibly, etc. I'm very pleased with it so far, and consider it the most sophisticated automated manual I've driven; (granted I haven't driven the Porsche PDK system, yet).
Bish
Old 01-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the great information....

Does anyone happen to know what the weight difference is between the two transmissions. I know the PDK is about 90lb heavier so I have to assume this is similar. Not a big deal really, but Audi is already a "nose-heavy" car compared to the rear-wheel drive based competition. Adding more weight to the front doesn't help things in this regard.

I know all this doesn't matter in day to day driving, and that I'll never take the car to its limits where I can notice this. I'm just trying to talk myself out of the S-tronic because it's another $option that I might not really need.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by filahebe
Thank you for the great information....

Does anyone happen to know what the weight difference is between the two transmissions. I know the PDK is about 90lb heavier so I have to assume this is similar. Not a big deal really, but Audi is already a "nose-heavy" car compared to the rear-wheel drive based competition. Adding more weight to the front doesn't help things in this regard.

I know all this doesn't matter in day to day driving, and that I'll never take the car to its limits where I can notice this. I'm just trying to talk myself out of the S-tronic because it's another $option that I might not really need.
S-tronic is about an extra 40 lbs over 6MT.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

After test driving the S4 and going back to my A4, I thought the clutch pedal on my A4 was broken because it felt so light. I initially ordered my S4 in a 6MT but after think about it while sitting in commuting traffic I called the dealer to switch it the S-tronic tranny.

From Car and Driver
Remaining loose ends? Left legs get tired moving the S4’s weighty clutch, and compared with meticulously trimmed Audis of yore, the new interior looks phoned in.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DroidAkty
After test driving the S4 and going back to my A4, I thought the clutch pedal on my A4 was broken because it felt so light. I initially ordered my S4 in a 6MT but after think about it while sitting in commuting traffic I called the dealer to switch it the S-tronic tranny.

From Car and Driver
I went DSG, after having a G35 coupe with 6MT for 5 years. I do not regret it for one second.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat as NWS4Guy - drove 6MT STi's for 5 years, and I'm loving the S-tronic! Highly recommended.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok here is a question for the S-tronic owners... How often do you drive it in Auto vs. manual? I've heard from owners of other double clutch equipped cars that after a few months (or less) auto becomes the default option for majority of the driving time.

Quick Reply: MT6 vs. S-tronic