S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MTM Cantronic installation results

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTM Cantronic installation results

This is a cross post from Audizine. I posted first over there because that's where the conversation started. I figured you guys would like to take a look as well.

Alright so I spent some time this afternoon figuring out the install and testing of the stage 2 MTM Cantronic. This isn't meant to be a DIY so I'm not going into full installation detail. Here it goes.

The instructions that come with it are pretty bad. They are in German with English subtitles and literal translations. It's funny actually looking back on it though at the time it was a bit frustrating. The whole thing took about 1.5 hours including some confusion in the middle. My brother and I wound up calling Hoppen Motorsports where I spoke with Mike and he helped us out. Kudos to him for calling me back from his house as he wasn't working today. If I had to go back and do it again I think we could get it done in 35-45 minutes.

Prior to doing the install I did some before runs with the Gtech SS that I ordered. I was extremely surprised how fast the car was from the factory. Here is the test environment. S4 prestige/stronic/ads in dynamic mode. 20" Hartmann wheels with 255/30/20's. The car had 1/4 tank of gas and two passengers weighing 225lbs and 180lbs. Temperature was 30 degrees.

The best stock time was 4.76s 0-60. It was a number that I couldn't duplicate for the rest of the stock runs. The slowest time was 5.0s. It can consistently run 0-60 in the upper 4.8x's. I knew once I saw these times that I would need to include pics of the gtech screen. They are posted at the end of this write up.

The best post install run was 4.31s. Not only could I not duplicate that number for the rest of the runs, I couldn't even get close to it. The next best number was 4.58s. That was more like it. Mixed in the middle were a bunch of low 4.6x's. The slowest time so far was 4.69s.

So the end result being that pre-install the car consistently ran high 4.8x's and now it runs low 4.6x's. The net result being 2.5 tenths of a second decrease in 0-60. Needless to say I am very happy with it. The car is so obnoxiously fast now it's criminal. The 0-60 times don't really do the modification justice. It is faster in every real world test I can think of as well. I spent about an hour driving it home from my brothers house during which I went on highways, residential roads and a bit through the city. Every different driving scenario had a noticeable difference. Though I'd be naive to think that some of my "butt dyno" impressions aren't partly in my head.

Here are the screen shots of the gtech.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do me a favor, run a HP run on your Gtech. Run first gear up to about 3K RPM then shift to 2nd and punch it until redline at top of 2nd. Take a pic of your HP graph. Make sure you have the weight of the car set correctly. (~4100 lbs with driver at 3/4 tank).

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited by rktskicar; 01-02-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing, Voltron. Sounds like some pretty nice results! Any idea how much the Hartmann's + tires weigh versus stock wheels/tires?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm not sure but it's enough of a difference to merit mentioning.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

run the HP run I asked for previously and report back. Did you turn off ESP during these 0-60 runs?

ESP on will be slower than ESP off IME.

Bruce
Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

ESP was on during these runs.

I'll knock out the hp run perhaps as early as tomorrow and let you know.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i, too, express my concern over the stock 4.8x 0-60... those times really seem too good to be true... thanks anyway for your report...

i will install the MTM 480-hp too, next week.. so i have a question for the installation : it seems that you DID NOT get the v-max module (same as me).. so, could you post a picture of the engine bay, with some close-ups on the jacks ? that would greatly help, bro... also, i understand that there is a jack that must NOT be connected (is is needed ONLY if you install the v-max module also).... can you confirm that ? thanks,

Fab
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Correct. I didn't get the vmax. It seemed silly to me to get it. There is 0 chance that I will ever need to go over 155mph.

Installation is pretty easy actually. There is the main module and 3 sensors. The cantronic module sits under the water box in the ecu box. Three sensor leads come out and then route into the engine compartment. The ecu box is a really tight fit once the cantronic module is there as well. There is a lead on either side of the top of the engine and then the final one on the bottom right side of the engine. (left side if you're facing the engine with the hood open) There is one additional lead which appears to be terminated that is tucked away in the ecu box. I believe that this is the one for the vmax.

If you watch the installation video that is posted online then disregard the last part of that video because the car in the video is a tdi and the last step is incorrect for our cars.

I'll take some pics and post them later. Though a lot is hidden now that i put it all back together.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Faba4b8
i, too, express my concern over the stock 4.8x 0-60... those times really seem too good to be true... thanks anyway for your report...
I don't know...C&D reported 4.9 0-60 times at their test and Edmunds reported 4.9 with no rollout and 4.6 with rollout. If I recall correctly (and I may not) the gtech defaults to reading 0-60 with 1' rollout.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by case42
I don't know...C&D reported 4.9 0-60 times at their test and Edmunds reported 4.9 with no rollout and 4.6 with rollout. If I recall correctly (and I may not) the gtech defaults to reading 0-60 with 1' rollout.
You're right. The manual says there is a 12" rollout. The more I think about it the more I tend to think the numbers are pretty legit. It's another case of the smooth power delivery of this car tricking you into thinking it isn't as much of an animal as it is.

Quick Reply: MTM Cantronic installation results