S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MTM piggy back ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
Default MTM piggy back ECU

Pretty pricey...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty_file
Old 08-25-2010, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the long review on i believe audizine...
Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

They sure are getting a lot of attention with this article. If people only knew... http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...oming-Tomorrow

Last edited by dr bryan; 08-25-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dr bryan
They sure are getting a lot of attention with this article. If people only knew... http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...oming-Tomorrow
That whole thread - I dunno. Its one person's bad experience and could be chalked up as an isolated incident. While I'm dubious about the MTM product - I'm keeping an open mind. To this day I still haven't seen a clear before and after dyno.

In any case, with Stasis and APR release ECU products this year - it'll be good for competition.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
That whole thread - I dunno. Its one person's bad experience and could be chalked up as an isolated incident. While I'm dubious about the MTM product - I'm keeping an open mind. To this day I still haven't seen a clear before and after dyno.

In any case, with Stasis and APR release ECU products this year - it'll be good for competition.
I'd agree it might be an isolated instance if MTM and Hoppin hadn't worked with the guy for so long and ended up having to refund him since it was not reliably producing the gains. The speculation is that since it is still bound by the limited parameters in the stock programming in terms of what it can fool the ECU into doing - it will not provide gains except under certain circumstances. Mainly it will have issues with extreme heat, elevation and humidity when trying to generate power.

Another customer who posts here also had a CEL from his ECU, apparently the Cantronic was making the engine run way too rich.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Per MTM, Hoppen is just an 'importer', not a 'technology partner'. Now if anyone lives in Michigan...
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Banned

I don't get it...why doesn't someone just do some performance testing of the MTM product? i.e. Hoppen motorsports or someone?

JHM has made great products for B5/6/7 S4s for years...but never sell ANYTHING on dyno #s. They prove the product at the track

Why doesn't MTM or Hoppen do the same? Very frustrating to say the least. I looked at an A6 3.0T Avant and thought a nice piggyback would be a great addition, but WTF are those guys up to over there?

MTM's history is IMPECCABLE. R. Mayer's history with Audi is unprecedented in the Audi tuner world...and to think they would create a product that does nothing is ridiculous.

There is definitely more to the story here.

p.s. didn't that guy voltron's head do a bunch of acceleration tests in cool temps and have a solid 0-60mph gain using GTECH? 0.2-0.4 seconds or something. That's a massive jump, so that's not an accident. If anyone thinks that's nothing, they need to study acceleration of 4000lb cars a little more.

Last edited by sakimano; 08-27-2010 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
I don't get it...why doesn't someone just do some performance testing of the MTM product? i.e. Hoppen motorsports or someone?

JHM has made great products for B5/6/7 S4s for years...but never sell ANYTHING on dyno #s. They prove the product at the track

Why doesn't MTM or Hoppen do the same? Very frustrating to say the least. I looked at an A6 3.0T Avant and thought a nice piggyback would be a great addition, but WTF are those guys up to over there?

MTM's history is IMPECCABLE. R. Mayer's history with Audi is unprecedented in the Audi tuner world...and to think they would create a product that does nothing is ridiculous.

There is definitely more to the story here.

p.s. didn't that guy voltron's head do a bunch of acceleration tests in cool temps and have a solid 0-60mph gain using GTECH? 0.2-0.4 seconds or something. That's a massive jump, so that's not an accident. If anyone thinks that's nothing, they need to study acceleration of 4000lb cars a little more.
yeah I seem to remember sub-4 second 0-60. that thread is so friggin massive though I can't find it.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

MTM couldn't figure it out and refunded his money enough said.
Also like you say sak why don't they just provide the information?
Lastly if you read the APR dyno thread you will see that only 50chp at the top end can be had from the current setup. Need new supercharger and possibly a new pulley to get anymore. Hence we know that the MTM numbers will not be from a dyno for sure but the manufacturers numbers combined with tuned numbers and not the actual S4 dynoed numbers and tuned numbers.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by riegerman
MTM couldn't figure it out and refunded his money enough said.
Also like you say sak why don't they just provide the information?
Lastly if you read the APR dyno thread you will see that only 50chp at the top end can be had from the current setup. Need new supercharger and possibly a new pulley to get anymore. Hence we know that the MTM numbers will not be from a dyno for sure but the manufacturers numbers combined with tuned numbers and not the actual S4 dynoed numbers and tuned numbers.
MTM provides no info because they're MTM. They make a crank hp claim (that's how they roll in Europe for some reason) and people buy and trust them. Not sure what went wrong here though.

FYI I don't trust ANYONE (tuners) till I see track proven results. Dynos don't mean jack **** in this world (of tuner provided dynos).

There are DOZENS of B6/7 S4 products that were just a scam. Everything from the classic sprintbooster to the GSG intake to $10,000 VF Engineering superchargers that deliver about 70crank hp but claim 160 crank hp.

All made unfounded promises...all cost S4 owners a fortune. You guys won't be any exception...you have the new car that was $55,000...and they'll do their best to sell you some crap because you're excited about your cars and ready to spend.

Quick Reply: MTM piggy back ECU