S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My brand new MY13 S4 hit while parked today

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brand new MY13 S4 hit while parked today

First the pictures:

Had just parked my car, didn't use the parking lot because it was full. So I parked on the street at a meter in front of my building. Apparently the person that did this was having a seizure and had to be taken to the hospital. Car is just over a week old with less than 500 miles. Really, pissed but glad no one was hurt outside of the other driver. After he hit my car, he ran through a door in my office building.

Questions.

Never had a car this new involved in an accident. When it goes to the shop, I'm requesting only new parts. No refurb stuff. Will they give push back on this?

Can I request compensation for the depreciation hit that I'm likely to see?

What else should I be requesting, besides a completely new car?

Appreciate the input.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh and a guess on how much you guys thing the damage is? Car goes in tomorrow for an estimate, after that I will take it to the shop.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would guess the repair bill will be close to $5000 if there isn't any frame damage. You need a new trunk, bumper, rear 1/4 panel, light, defuser ?.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motivated1
First the pictures:

Had just parked my car, didn't use the parking lot because it was full. So I parked on the street at a meter in front of my building. Apparently the person that did this was having a seizure and had to be taken to the hospital. Car is just over a week old with less than 500 miles. Really, pissed but glad no one was hurt outside of the other driver. After he hit my car, he ran through a door in my office building.

Questions.

Never had a car this new involved in an accident. When it goes to the shop, I'm requesting only new parts. No refurb stuff. Will they give push back on this?

Can I request compensation for the depreciation hit that I'm likely to see?

What else should I be requesting, besides a completely new car?

Appreciate the input.
You can absolutely request compensation for depreciation. This is called diminished value. You'll need to get an appraisal (available online, should run you around $100) and be ready to play hardball with the other party's insurance company. Go to YOUR choice of shop (preferably Audi certified) and absolutely demand OEM parts. THEY are at fault, and it doesn't go away antil YOU relieve them of their liability. Remember that and DO NOT sign anything until you have been fully compensated. They will try to lowball you with compensation based on wholesale value, but DO NOT let them get away with it. You should get upwards of $5k
Old 10-24-2012, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, I'm physically ill looking at that.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
+1 - gut-wrenching...

OP, hope you can sort it all out quickly and in your favor...
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by helix139
You can absolutely request compensation for depreciation. This is called diminished value. You'll need to get an appraisal (available online, should run you around $100) and be ready to play hardball with the other party's insurance company. Go to YOUR choice of shop (preferably Audi certified) and absolutely demand OEM parts. THEY are at fault, and it doesn't go away antil YOU relieve them of their liability. Remember that and DO NOT sign anything until you have been fully compensated. They will try to lowball you with compensation based on wholesale value, but DO NOT let them get away with it. You should get upwards of $5k
Thanks for the info, I was hoping this was the case. Does it matter that I lease the car? I'd still take a depreciation hit regardless, so it should not matter right?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
I was in shock when I saw it.. the police were talking to me and I just had my jaw on the ground. Took me a while to absorb what I was seeing.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by motivated1
I was in shock when I saw it.. the police were talking to me and I just had my jaw on the ground. Took me a while to absorb what I was seeing.
I think my heart just skipped a few beats .....I am so sorry for your loss
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

A good, quality body shop can make the car look like new. Unless the frame was bent, it's doubtful you would have a depreciation claim or any added depreciation when you turn the car in on lease. While it's difficult to determine the full damage from your photos, It looks bad but really not terrible relatively speaking. I see a bumper cover and light assembly for sure. There may be a shock bumper cushion replacement needed if it got compressed underneath the bumper cover, The trunk lid and rear fender don't look badly damaged other than paint and maybe some body work but again, I can't really tell from the photos. Until the shop starts pulling it apart to see if there's any underlying damage, there's no way to be sure what other repairs may be needed. If I had to guess, your frame is probably ok.

Many years ago I had a Ford Taurus SHO that got decimated in a freak major hail storm. The entire car was bashed in front to back by 2" hail stones, almost all glass destroyed and mirrors completely knocked off. Even the steering wheel leather was all dinged up. It looked like someone beat the crap out of the entire car body with a baseball bat. $14K and three weeks later, it looked like new and you couldn't tell it was the same car. (Other than little bits of glass that kept falling out of the a/c vents for a couple of months).

It sucks that you got hit but all of it can be repaired and look like it never happened.
I wish you the best - I'm sure the doctor will pronounce the prognosis will be good.

Quick Reply: My brand new MY13 S4 hit while parked today