S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My car is (almost) officially sailing on the Pacific!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
Depending on where you are this may be a loaded bet!

My car is coming to the bay area... if you are in socal you should get yours first!

My SA told me the ship would be in port san Diego on the 19th. As the ship was delayed leaving Europe. Originally I was told the 16th as well.

Good luck!
I am in Phoenix where is just a little closer. Good luck to you too.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How were you guys able to find the name of the ship and then figure out where it is and find webcams pointed at it?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DigiSage
How were you guys able to find the name of the ship and then figure out where it is and find webcams pointed at it?
I found out the name of the ship through AoA. But, of course, that was back in late June when they were still able to provide status updates. Apparently they no longer are able to do so without first contacting your dealer.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DigiSage
I have a great SA, he provided the name of the ship. As far as tracking goes, once you get the name of your ship then you can go to www.marinetraffic.com and track the progress.

I just happened to be checking the panama canal as I knew the ship should be somewhere in that area (this is an AIS Deadzone on the free sites) low and behold I caught it coming into the locks.

Pretty fun tracking the ship and it helps to ease the pain of waiting. During this process I have become fascinated with shipping.

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for taking up much needed space on the forum with my mindless drivel... But I needed to share with people that could understand my excitement.

So very close now, just a few thousand miles by sea and a few hundred on the mean streets of CA until she comes home. Hopefully by month end the break in process will begin.

This pic is from the Panama Canal, Miraflores locks (last locks before entering the Pacific)

Not sure if anyone else is on the Virgo Leader, but it looks like we are time for the 8/19 arrival in San Diego.

Mike
hmmm.... my car might be on the same boat as yours. my dealer came me an eta of port arrival and its on 8/17. i also noticed your from the bay area and so am i. pretty sure its on the same boat.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by agpxo
Wow..why did your car land at Houston but mine will land at San Diego? I heard landing at San Diego takes 1-2 weeks more time than landing at Houston. I should have the car now.
PNW cars (OR, WA and ID) are offloaded in Houston, Cali goes through the canal to San Diego, adding about 3 weeks to the delivery. Our in the NW are either done by rail or on a truck. I got mine in 6 days, they were really trying to get the last cars delivered before year end to get the money in the back and they cars off the books.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xunknownx
hmmm.... my car might be on the same boat as yours. my dealer came me an eta of port arrival and its on 8/17. i also noticed your from the bay area and so am i. pretty sure its on the same boat.
I hope it comes in the 17th.... but in reality we are on track for the 19th, possibly 20th if the weather does not cooperate.

Our cars may even share a truck up here.... How sweet.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hope it comes in the 17th.... but in reality we are on track for the 19th, possibly 20th if the weather does not cooperate.

Our cars may even share a truck up here.... How sweet.
which dealer did you order the car from? i got it from rector audi in burlingame
Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

which dealer did you order the car from? i got it from rector audi in burlingame
I am picking mine up at Sonnen in San Rafael. Probably not on the same truck.

Good luck, I hope the next few weeks fly by!

Mike
Old 08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I ordered mine through Rector also but my ship came in last Friday . You can view the Port of San Diego's shipping forecast here http://www.portofsd.com/audi_start.htm

Quick Reply: My car is (almost) officially sailing on the Pacific!!