S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My comparison of 335i vs S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My comparison of 335i vs S4

Before I start I'll qualify this by first saying that the drives in all cars were short. So it was hard to get a really good impression, but here's my thoughts

I first drove the S4. The demo they had had about 10K Kilometers on it. It was fully loaded with S-Tronic and Drive Select. This car is a definite techno marvel. It just does everything well. Handles well, lightning fast, no real issues. I really liked the ADS. It was so cushy on comfort that I could see using this for highway cruising. Dynamic gave an M3 like experience. Unfortunately it left me wanting. I realized even with heavy throttle I could barely hear the engine. I had heard about the blip in throttle with downshifts, but I had to strain to even hear it. We rolled the windows down and even then it was quite quiet. I really wanted more passion out of this car.

Before I left that dealer I asked if I could drive a 2006 M3 that they had on the lot. It was quite a difference. I like that feeling of pull that just builds and builds as the revs climb. I like that you can here the engine. Even though it doesn't have the numbers of the S4, it feels more exciting.

Next I went around the corner to the BMW dealership. There they had a few cars lined up for me. There were two 335i xdrives. One with MT and one with AT. There was also a 335i AT with Msport suspension. I liked all of these cars. A few observations. I really liked the MT. I could get sick of it in day to day driving, but during a test drive it was really fun to row through the gears. I missed the adjustable suspension. I was surprised that I actually preferred the suspension in the xdrive models. With the Msport suspension I found that there really wasn't any noticeable improvement in turn in or steering feel. There was definitely less body roll with the sport suspension, but it seemed significantly harsher. If I got a 335i I think it would definitely be an xdrive. The interior wasn't as good as an S4, but not a deal breaker. I liked that all the BMW's had more excitement which could be due to engine noise.

While there they too had a 2006 M3. I managed to get a drive in that car as well. It had a DSG. I definitely wouldn't want a car with that tranny. Man did it shift harsh. Again I was struck by the excitement. I don't think I'd want one of these as a daily driver. The suspension is just a little too harsh. I really like that race car style engine. How it builds slow and just keeps pulling. The sensory feedback as the RPM's build is rewarding

What I learned is that it's not so much the numbers, but the experience. I'd take a car that might be 2/10ths slower and .4g less if it sounds and feels faster. I'm not in a competition so it's the perceptions and sensations that will make the difference.

As luck would have it the BMW dealership sold their lone E9x M3 the night before my test drive. It was on their lot for a few months. Now that is a car I need to drive before I can make a decision. It lacks AWD which would be nice up here, but I think it has everything else I want. I'm trying to get the dealership to convince one of their customers to give me a spin in one.

I also know that I need more time in all the cars to judge which one I want to live with. I sure would like to try a MT S4, but there just aren't any here. I also want to reverse the order and do the S4 last next time and see if that changes my impressions. The sales lady at the BMW dealership was also much more passionate about her cars which may have made a difference. The option of a European Delivery with the BMW may have been clouding my judgement as well. I hope to go again in about 3-4 weeks and take a few more drives and see what my impressions are this time.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My question is what are you really looking for in a car. My previous car was a 335i coupe. Very nice car. Very quick. I also had the opportunity to drive the 09 M3 with the DCT. Man that thing really accelerated and shifted like BANG! But I have had the S4 with 6MT and sport dif for almost 5 months now, and have to say that it is way better in most aspects than the 335i. Yes the exhaust sounds anemic, but that can be fixed. As far as the m3 is concerned, it is faster and a better track car. I find the S4 to be fast enough for any "street emergency". And a promised chip should be out soon that I think will get the car to near m3 performance numbers if you want that. BUT, the M3 feels like a race car. The S4 feels like a fast luxury car. I don't want or need a race car.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

The main problem I see is that you are using mainly the engine/exhaust noise as your performance indicator. According to this a modded civic would give you even excitement.
I would advise you to go to Audizine and their are various videos wit various S4 exhausts and that should provide you with the excitement that you are talking about.
You should be more concerned of which car you prefer to drive and be in every day.
IMO the reason I picked the S4 was
1. I am in Canada and S4 > 335xdrive and M3 in the snow
2. Better interior and this is where you spend your time
3. It is a larger sedan than the 3 series yet it can outperform
4. The 3 series may feel sportier but in reality the S4 is sportier by looking at the numbers
5. the avg person who knows how to drive a awd car will be able to drive faster IMO than an avg driver in a RWD car.
6. S4 new design, 3 series will look old next year
Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had so much fun driving the S4 that I didn't even notice the exhaust was quiet. Of course, i like to listen to music while in the car so exhaust sound is only secondary for me. I have an old, carbed Bronco if I want loud.

I do think the S4 feels faster than my 2008 335i. The SC builds so fast and seems to punch you back in the seat more. VS the BMW that's a little too smooth and has a slight delay... it doesn't "seem" very fast. Of course, I drove a 328i as a loaner last week and that reminded me that the 335 is a quick car.

I also was able to compare the non sport 3 series and it's awful! the X might not be as bad but even lane changes on the freeway were scary with all the body roll.

I'm sure the M3 is a totally different animal but personally it's a little aggresive for a daily driver. I liked the refinement and performance of the S4 over my 335i and it was even more comfortable for a daily.

Oh, the Quattro with sport diff was awesome! Definitely the icing on the cake. Much easier to drop the hammer at low speeds and keep traction. I get a lot of tire squealing in the 335 even in dry conditions with max perf summer tires.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all your replies.

As I said I definitely need to go back and repeat the process and do the Audi last. I think some of it may have been due to the differences in the sales people. The BMW CA was much more enthusiastic and has emailed a few times trying to help me since my initial drive.

I don't think it all relates to the exhaust note. It felt like the S4 didn't give me as much sensory feedback. I just didn't get as good of a feeling with that one. Since I drove it first it could be that I wasn't pushing it as hard either. The last drive in the E46 M3 I was really pushing hard. I have also heard that people often prefer the car they drive last so that's why I want to reverse the order.

I thought I would like the S4 best after all I read, but it didn't work out that way so far. I'm far from decided though. I plan to do another series of drives in a few weeks and possibly again in January with some snow and ice on the ground to get a really good feel for the cars.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Probably not gonna be fun driving an S4 in the winter on snow and ice with summer performance tires on the car. Hopefully the salespeople at the dealership will be smart enough not to allow that. Unless of course they put winter tires on the car, but highly unlikely.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your outcome is interesting to me. I did the rounds myself a couple months ago.

I started at a BMW dealer with an '08 M5 SMG ($58K so in the same ballpark price wise). I wasn't too impressed with it. It just didn't feel nearly as fast as I expected from a V10 engine. I then drove an '11 335i coupe RWD MT and a '11 M3 coupe MT. I liked the 335i, but REALLY liked the M3. (I always prefer a MT to an Auto.) The M3 was great, but was $76K...yikes! That seems crazy for a car that essentially starts at $33K (328i sedan).

I then went to Audi and drove a '10 S4 MT. The SA was busy so he sent me off on the test drive on my own and told me not to come back with a smoking clutch. I got to flog it a bit and push it around corners. Not having a SA in the car makes a BIG difference (but most of the time, they won't let you go on your own).

I came away from my experience thinking that the BMWs were too stark and boring inside. The Audi looked classy and user-friendly. And the drive in the S4 was awesome.

It will be my next car...I just need to figure out when.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I never thought of that.

I did say to both sales people that I planned to try the cars in the winter so I could also use that comparison in my decision. Neither one mentioned a problem, but maybe they will later.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Try and drive an E9x M3 with EDC. It makes a difference having the ability to control that suspension. Without it, I think you'll find the E9X M3 is just as harsh as the E46 M3. But EDC lets you get a more tame setting which making daily driving a little better. But at the end of the day, it's still more towards the "always on" race car kind of driving style.

I agree that the anemic sounds of the B8 S4 does deter a little bit from the fun factor and the overall experience, but the car is still an absolute blast to drive. I have an E39 M5 with an aftermarket exhaust which gets rather raucous, and I owned an E46 M3 and for me personally, I find the B8 S4 to be more fun to drive as an overall package. It's easier to drive, and it's got a more refined daily drivier level than both the E46 M3 and the E39 M5.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also remember that when driving AWD cars to enter the corner slower than you would with a RWD. Then you can get on the gas pedal earlier and hard to pull the car through the corner. This may take some time to learn but this will make a world of difference. I hear so many RWD car owners talk about understeer of the Audi's but the key is actually knowing how to drive the Quattro cars. The steering feel that you allude to is better in the 3 series no doubt but only barely. In day to day driving though I like a bit of isolation from the road surface as I live in Toronto and the roads here are really crappy.
Anyways which ever car you buy is a win as both are really nice cars.

Quick Reply: My comparison of 335i vs S4