S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My Eurocode Meisterwerk Short Throw Shifter review

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Eurocode Meisterwerk Short Throw Shifter review

I took my car back to Volkswurks, the same shop that installed my USS sways and links, on Friday to have the Meisterwerk ASTS installed while I was off work and up in Gainesville for finals this weekend. I picked it up during the initial group buy but this is the first chance I've had to have it put in. I didn't have a ton of chance to drive it this weekend, but after the 2 1/2 hour drive home today, I feel I can give some solid impressions coming over from the JHM Solid Short Shifter.

When I went over to pick the car up from Volkswurks, Jeff was still finishing up with it on the lift. I had instructed him to set the throw to the shortest setting and the height to somewhere in the middle, as I was relatively happy with the height on the JHM shifter. Jeff had to double check with me to make sure I wanted it on the shortest setting, because "It's definitely short!" After confirming that and getting the shifter aligned, he brought the car down, took it for a spin around the block, and had me do the same to ensure everything was to my liking. After having a little trouble initially getting it into reverse (I had the medium spring on the JHM, and the stock spring is lighter so I was actually pushing the shifter down too far. My error, not the shifter's.), I backed it out and took off.

My first impression was that this shifter at its shortest setting really is a short throw. I like it. My second impression was that it definitely requires more effort than the JHM to engage gears, as espected. Again, not a bad thing, just different. Third was that this shifter is solid on a whole new level. Someone here (ENV?) described it as feeling like a gated shifter now and I have to say I agree. While the JHM shifter does a good job at providing a more crisp, defined shift feeling by eliminating the plastic OEM bearing and shortening the throw, it still retains some slop that is inherent to the design of the factory shifter, mainly where the linkage connecting piece attaches to the lever arm of the shifter. The Eurocode shifter by nature of its design is beefier and superior. Slop is GONE.

I took the car back and was talking with Jeff as I was paying. He was quite impressed with the quality of the engineering that obviously went into this shifter, and also had never seen a shifter with that much adjustability on it. I certainly can't disagree. Like the rest of the Eurocode lineup, the only bad thing about their parts is that nobody really gets to see them once they are installed. In comparison, the JHM is kind of basic in design and function.

After the long drive home today, I can safely say I am quite pleased. Like the other Eurocode mods, the overall result is a feeling of being more connected with the car and the driving experience. Shifts, while requiring more effort, are direct, smooth, and crisp, with a very positive gear engagement and a sense of feel of the motion of the linkage below the car. Bottom line, the shifter gets in the gear you want it to get into every time, and does so while offering very pleasing feedback.

If you need a short shifter, this is the one to get. The Eurocode guys have outdone themselves again. At the group buy price, this was a no-brainer, but even at full retail I'd pay the small amount extra and get this over the JHM.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review man. I'm in the same boat...was on the group buy just haven't had the time to install yet. I'm probably going to put it in myself in October as I don't know of any shops like the one you used in my area. I told the wife the upgrade was for her since she likes driving my car so much.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the review -- that was quick

Bought it in the group buy and probably going to wait for after my 5k service.

Think I'm going with the middle throw setting and either the tallest or medium height.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hope these help

Just thought I would post my stock shifter and the Eurocode. I will take better pictures soon.

I have the shortest throw setting and the height is about an inch from the lowest setting. I added my two cents in another forum. Bottomline, the shifter feels gated like in the R8, Ferrari, etc.

Stock:

Eurocode: