S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My first B8 S4 encounter this AM...impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first B8 S4 encounter this AM...impressions

Had my first chance to drive alongside a B8 this morning on my way to work when I pulled alongside one just before getting on the Polk Parkway in Lakeland, FL. Black with a Crown Audi rear plate frame, and I believe S-tronic (or extremely well-shifted 6MT). These things are very impressive! I drive an 08 Bullitt Mustang (best handling and most powerful of the last-gen Mustangs short of the GT500) so I'm not terribly out of my league in a straight line but was very impressed with the way the B8 just seems to accelerate with very linear power delivery. There was no real "burst" of power from it but more like a continual pulling away (granted neither of us was full throttle. My stock 235 all-season tires are on their last legs and too narrow for the car and I'd roast them through third if I tried).

The way the B8 took the cloverleaf onto the parkway was what really impressed me, though. I was in the inside lane and took the 45mph curve at around 60 or so (could hit 70 with better tires), but the B8 passed me on the outside like I was standing still. Not that I expected any different, but it was still impressive to see in person. I'm really looking forward to placing my order and getting into one in the next few months.

Oh, and if the owner of that black S4 posts here, shoot me a PM. I'd love to check out your ride sometime before I order, and thanks for not embarrassing me too much haha.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff

I met up with Zims2730 last night to give him some VCDS mods, and he has a gorgeous Ibis S-tronic with no Sport Diff. We traded drives to compare our S-tronics and I let him cut loose on my SD to see if he felt it made any differences. His impression on taking a cloverleaf at higher speeds, and said he definately felt it and was impressed.

Sport Diff is a controversial topic for some reason, but my feeling is that any sort of spirited driving can benefit from it.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Good stuff

I met up with Zims2730 last night to give him some VCDS mods, and he has a gorgeous Ibis S-tronic with no Sport Diff. We traded drives to compare our S-tronics and I let him cut loose on my SD to see if he felt it made any differences. His impression on taking a cloverleaf at higher speeds, and said he definately felt it and was impressed.

Sport Diff is a controversial topic for some reason, but my feeling is that any sort of spirited driving can benefit from it.
No idea if the one I saw had the sport diff or not. I plan on getting it when I order mine but regardless, it was impressive and it is good to know I have at least that level of performance to look forward to.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed! Driving home in the rain at speed, yesterday, with torque going forward & backward and left in right - it was almost magical!

The only reason I ended up in the median one-two months ago, was because I fooled the system in auto mode. I was driving at the limits; going WOT from a stop - with a sharp turn almost immediately; making the SD response delayed and more aggressive than was needed. In a RWD car, I would've actually spun out instead of just oversteered. So actually, SD saved me from going out of control.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus.... you guys will turn any thread into a SD measuring contest. LOL!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NickS
heh...as far as we know the op has never even heard of the sports diff but he phrased it well, "...it's good to know that I have at least that much performance to look forward to."

edit: Oh, and Rick, you gotta let your little driver error go, we all screw up from time to time and at least no one got hurt and all the sheet metal is intact. Live and learn and move on, Doc.

Last edited by LeadToRome; 07-09-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

See what I mean? You cannot even mention you have one in your sig sometimes without someone taking offense.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
edit: Oh, and Rick, you gotta let your little driver error go, we all screw up from time to time and at least no one got hurt and all the sheet metal is intact. Live and learn and move on, Doc.
Yeah, yeah - it's time to let it go, but it's not getting me down. In fact, it's a good talking point as it's helping learn about the S4!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

See what I mean? You cannot even mention you have one in your sig sometimes without someone taking offense.
It's called sarcasm.... lighten up Francis!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's called sarcasm.... lighten up Francis!
And my reply wasn't?

Quick Reply: My first B8 S4 encounter this AM...impressions