S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My Side Assist Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
The "miles to empty" function is well-known to make big jumps because it calculates miles to empty based on speed traveled over a certain distance/time (with my Allroad it is the last six miles but I think it varies between models). If it shows that they drove 4 miles I would say that's what they drove. And I doubt they siphoned your gas.

And maybe think about people with actual problems before you whine about your "nightmares" next time, yeesh.

I guess I wasn't very clear. The odometer changed 4 miles. A test drive to verify the side assist is working or not would be required, I would think. I am wondering if they left the car idling for hours and hours to burn up the 50 miles to empty.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by BaNmAnS4
I would be pissed too, sounds like a pretty crappy dealer as far as the customer service goes. I dont know why everyone is questioning this gentleman's worries, if I was in this situation I would also be quiet upset, and I'm sure much of the others on this forum would be too.... Hope it gets worked out for you!
Thank You! I wouldn't be so annoyed if the car was older..... but the problem started around 1200 miles and is still ongoing at 3700 miles. I guess I was spoiled by the customer service at Acura. We had a 2005 TL with the 6-speed manual transmission/LSD/Brembo front brakes. The few problems with that car were fixed right the first time, and they provided loaner cars that were pretty much brand new. We put 40k miles on that car in 18 months. After that we got a 2008 TL Type S which only went to the dealer one time for brake squeal and was fixed in 30 minutes! I know they are both premium brands, but Audi seems to be dropping the ball on this one.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Parts supply can be erratic. Loaner cars are totally up to each dealer. I'd be really pissed about the wheel damage.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

your new car coming from Barrier?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

update: dealer called yesterday to tell me the regional tech who knew how to code the side assist module would be in today. When I got there, they tried to give me a chevy cobalt loaner. Not happening.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010audiS4
update: dealer called yesterday to tell me the regional tech who knew how to code the side assist module would be in today. When I got there, they tried to give me a chevy cobalt loaner. Not happening.
Hey, gotta drive a Chevy sometimes in order to appreciate what ya got.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to chime in on a lot of things here, and I've ordered my list according to (what I think is of) importance:

1) It's healthy to vent, but you are accomplishing nothing here. You need to express this to your dealer, not us. This seems to be much more than a "Side Assist Nightmare."
2) You have a right to be upset about the wheel damage, but the dealer is repairing it at their expense. At the same time, you should take this as an indicator of how they treat your vehicle. Do you really want to keep bringing it there when this kind of carelessness happens?
3) Very, VERY few car dealers can provide quality customer service. Prestige/price levels do not matter. I'm sure a customer or two from your Acura dealer can post a "nightmare" thread as well. The fact that parts were promised one day but arrived two, three, or even five days later should not surprise you as (at least) a third-time car owner/lessee.
4) While the dealership doesn't exactly appear to be the most forthright operation (I'm judging them based on the wheel damage), they have escalated this problem to Audi NA since they couldn't fix it on their own. A degree of patience should be expected on your part (ha, a pun!) since it's clearly more than a "regular" problem. Keeping spare computer modules in stock is not commonplace.
5) Sometimes you have to realize the situation and take matters into your own hands. Understand that most service departments do not hire MBAs (nor should they) to write up car problems. If you don't want any ugly surprises, exercise some of your own simple logic and perhaps pose a question like, "Look, I know parts have to travel from Point A to Point B, and then you need to install them. Where are they coming from? Do you have a tracking number from the shipping company? When are they expected to arrive? When they arrive, how much labor time do you need?" Ask them for the worst case scenario based on all these factors and then you won't be disappointed. It's no secret service writers overpromise and underdeliver because if they were honest with customers, they know the reaction would likely be unpleasant. Instead, they offer up overly optimistic completion dates and it comes back to bite them. Also don't forget that you have a brain and can somewhat understand that if a part needs to be ordered, it's likely going to take more than a few days for the work to be performed since they can't even work until FedEx/UPS/whomever gets there.
6) I understand the 2010 S4 is more fun to drive than a A4/A6, but at least you are getting mostly Audi loaners. Some dealerships provide Camrys only, and some provide...your own two feet.
7) Audi's DTE computer/formula is probably the most inaccurate of any vehicle I've owned. To criticize the dealership for wrongdoing based on the change in the DTE mileage is not fair.
8) Your car is not $60k, and unless you bought a fire sale, you wouldn't have saved $40k by picking up a 2007 A6 3.2. But more to the point, the price of your car should not dictate the basic standard of service. Whether or not you own a Kia Optima or an SL65 AMG, when calling to find out when a vehicle will be ready for pick-up, I think it's reasonable to assume the person at the dealership should provide you with the most accurate time possible based on the information they have available to them.

Last edited by FastMarkA; 05-12-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^well said
Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

--> FastMarkA

I agree with many points you made. I guess for me, taking a 26 day old car into the dealer for a malfunction wasn't exactly a dream come true. I drove 100 miles after leaving the dealer this afternoon and the system seems to be functioning perfectly. There are 2 modules that control the side assist and the replacement part didn't match the version of the one that came out. The tech updated the version of the other module and the calibration procedure worked. I included a picture of the calibration tool they use.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2010audiS4

I guess for me, taking a 26 day old car into the dealer for a malfunction wasn't exactly a dream come true.
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'd guess nobody really dreams of doing this. Unless, of course, their service writer looks like Eva Longoria.

I think the age of the car is irrelevant for obvious production flaws. In your case, it is pretty clear that they either did something wrong at the factory during the assembly, or the part(s) were "lemons" out of the box. And it's for this reason that cars come with a warranty.

I had a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7HO, and when I picked it up, I went directly into the city to attend an evening class. When I got out of class, the engine would not fire. So with 37 miles or so, I was calling a tow truck. Turned out the main vehicle control computer was bad, so they chucked mine and pulled a "good" one from a vehicle they had in the lot, and I never had problems since. Sure, at the moment when I was holding down the key while the starter attempted to bring my engine to life I was a little annoyed, but I knew right away it was a manufacturing flaw.

Now, if you were to have the car for 26 days and the dealer tells you it's time for new brakes and tires...well, then you have my permission to really blow your stack.

I drove 100 miles after leaving the dealer this afternoon and the system seems to be functioning perfectly. There are 2 modules that control the side assist and the replacement part didn't match the version of the one that came out. The tech updated the version of the other module and the calibration procedure worked. I included a picture of the calibration tool they use.
Good luck, hopefully they've fixed everything!

Last edited by FastMarkA; 05-13-2010 at 04:53 AM.