S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Nailed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nailed!

(and not in a good way)...

Well it's been almost 20 years since I got my last speeding ticket. That changed today!

Empty back road early this morning to pick up my daughter from a sleepover. Nailed for 50 in a 35. Crap.

Well I guess Washington State has a ticket deferral program for drivers with good records. They hold on to the ticket (I don't have to pay it and it doesn't go on my record) - if I'm clean for the next 12 months, they tear it up like it never happened.

Guess I need to watch the speedo for awhile now...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sparky-

get yourself a radar/laser detector. cars like these will have you driving faster than you think you are going.

Bruce
Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky

V1, my friend. V1.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

(and not in a good way)...

Well it's been almost 20 years since I got my last speeding ticket. That changed today!

Empty back road early this morning to pick up my daughter from a sleepover. Nailed for 50 in a 35. Crap.

Well I guess Washington State has a ticket deferral program for drivers with good records. They hold on to the ticket (I don't have to pay it and it doesn't go on my record) - if I'm clean for the next 12 months, they tear it up like it never happened.

Ouch! I didn't know about the deferral program. Like rocket said, my radar detector has paided for itself many times over. I have the Passport 9500ix. It is great around here because many of the cities are installing red light cameras and after passing false alarms 3 times, it will be ignored.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a good lawyer who can make it go away. Cost money, but then you don't have to live in worry for a year. Pm me and I'll get you his info. He's great. And yes get a V1 if u can. Or passport. Either way.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah with this car you really tend to go faster than you think (doesn't help that it just begs to get some lead footed treatment too)...
Old 12-04-2010, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer. Sorry to hear.

Good to know about the ticket deferral thing.

Do you know if you got clocked with radar or laser? Where abouts?
Old 12-04-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ssaa77
I have a good lawyer who can make it go away. Cost money, but then you don't have to live in worry for a year. Pm me and I'll get you his info.
PM sent.

Originally Posted by Brandonb
Do you know if you got clocked with radar or laser? Where abouts?
no idea - he was on a motorcycle hiding up a side street with a "gun" type device. he had me tagged before I ever saw him.

Kirkland/Bothell area - he was County.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your getting nailed.

I wanted to add my $.02 about the radar detectors. I've tried out both the V1 and the 9500xi over the last month and thought I would share my thoughts. I'm thinking I should put together a short review - we will see.

Anyways....

V1:
Pros:
  • The Arrows
  • Sensitivity
  • Smaller than the 9500xi (just barely)
  • I like the **** on the front
  • Better mounting solution - doesn't rattle

Cons:
  • Outdated design
  • Lack of city mode - yes I turned off the X band
  • Lacking innovation (GPS, updated display, ability to connect to computer, etc)

9500xi:
Pros:
  • GPS functionality
  • Speedtrap/Speedcamera warning
  • Ability to lockout false alarms
  • Easy to read display
  • City function

Cons:
  • Bigger in size (it's longer)
  • Mount rattles
  • Outdated display (same as my 7500 from 10 years ago - except blue)

All in all it came down to this... I drive approximately 10 miles each way to work (city/street driving). On my way to work, I received (11) false alarms from the V1. In comparison, I received (1) with the 9500xi and I was driving through the SuperMarket parking lot (known for false alarms).

I think the V1 has grown long in the tooth, but it is still an excellent detector. With that said, the 9500xi is no spring chicken. It seems externally both were designed in the late 80's. If I was driving mostly highway miles it would have been the one I chose. The 9500xi in my opinion is a better fit for someone that does a lot of city driving. So that is the one I kept.

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

no idea - he was on a motorcycle hiding up a side street with a "gun" type device. he had me tagged before I ever saw him
It was likely lidar. No radar/laser detector would have helped you. It just would have given you enough warning to pull out your license and registration. LI FTW.

By the way, for the previous poster it's a 9500ix not 9500xi.

Quick Reply: Nailed!